Article 3

I'm good at shaking it.
Like this?
7963108.gif

What'dyabringmetoday???

Nope.

It's no different now.

You just need a set of balls.

Why are members so afraid of management ?

They won't be there.... in 3 years.

-Bug-
Where I am at, it is not that members are afraid of management- they are accustomed to the BA (bologna artist) deeming the overwhelming share of grievances to be of no merit. Of course, he was a casual that came in early, worked for free, skipped lunch etc. I'll save the drawn out saga of how he became BA for another day.

A

Article 3

Nope.

It's no different now.

You just need a set of balls.

Why are members so afraid of management ?

They won't be there.... in 3 years.

-Bug-
It's bad when you're challenged by the company and the union.

Why did the steward treat you like that?

Therein lies the problem of why some members don't file or vote. Being up against the company and then having the steward or ba thwart your effort is why many don't file.

Inthegame

It's bad when you're challenged by the company and the union.

Why did the steward treat you like that?

Therein lies the problem of why some members don't file or vote. Being up against the company and then having the steward or ba thwart your effort is why many don't file.
Stewards are human, with good and bad traits. Most are elected by their peers. If they're bad, replace them but not filing and not voting isn't going to make them better.

You can tell yourself that it's the steward or BA's fault that many don't file but my experience is most don't file cause they don't want the target on their back. I'm just glad we have some willing to stand up for others.

A

Article 3

Stewards are human, with good and bad traits. Most are elected by their peers. If they're bad, replace them but not filing and not voting isn't going to make them better.

You can tell yourself that it's the steward or BA's fault that many don't file but my experience is most don't file cause they don't want the target on their back. I'm just glad we have some willing to stand up for others.
"Some" should be all.
Either do the job or get out.
There's nothing worse than dishonest representation and I liken it to leaning on a broken cane.
Show the members some backbone and more will get the courage to stand up for themselves.
When the word gets out that your representation is wishy-washy I can guarantee you that few care to stick their head out of the trench.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
"Some" should be all.
Either do the job or get out.
There's nothing worse than dishonest representation and I liken it to leaning on a broken cane.
Show the members some backbone and more will get the courage to stand up for themselves.
When the word gets out that your representation is wishy-washy I can guarantee you that few care to stick their head out of the trench.

Isn't that, the definition of a follower ?

Lay low.... not stick out.... go with the flow.... until it's convenient.

Certainly not the qualities of a leader.

Or, a man in general.

What happened to the proud, assertive, confident.... Union Member ?

Too much estrogen in the water ?

-Bug-

A

Article 3

Isn't that, the definition of a follower ?

Lay low.... not stick out.... go with the flow.... until it's convenient.

Certainly not the qualities of a leader.

Or, a man in general.

What happened to the proud, assertive, confident.... Union Member ?

Too much estrogen in the water ?

-Bug-
Bug, most people that get hired at UPS are just normal, unassuming folks that just need a paycheck. They didn't come there to be "leaders". They (most) surely didn't know the war zone they just enlisted into so there's a transition period from new hire to victim. From that point they either stay the victim or they rise up and fight for their rights because sooner or later their rights are violated.
There's only a few leaders in life. One shepherd, many sheep. It never changes, so figure out what you are and be it. Don't pretend you're a shepherd when you're a sheep because when the wolf shows up and you run then everyone will see you for who you really are.
Frustrating as it is there are very few people stepping up to be stewards, especially if they aren't paid and/or their dues aren't exempted. Unfortunately, it may be the litmus test for the future of unions.