Offer Sells Part-Timers Short

Tony Q

The proposed raise is less then UPS is currently paying new PT Union members. Of course there is no benefits for a year. And $600 Union initiation fees and monthly Union dues. How much is Walmarts initiation fees and monthly dues?
They will all go to the new wage or higher if they are pasted 13 an hour.

The benefits will change, wait for it.

Walmart and UPS are totally different things. To lip them in together is something that will make me leave this conversation.

Walmart and UPS are totally different things. To lip them in together is something that will make me leave this conversation.
I agree. UPS is a Union job and it's Union members should be paid better then a non Union job with better benefits.

Days

The "raise" wasn't a raise. Unless you count the GWI which barely keep up with the increased starting wage.

New hires were already making 15+ if you count the hiring bonuses or raised wage the last year or two. I just think that there needs to be clarification because part timers did not get a raise. Only part timers that got raises were ones under 13 an hour, which I'm going to guess isn't that many.

That aside, the benefits of working at UPS are still really good. Hopefully, more full time jobs open up as well.

I would've been happy with a 13 start but a faster progression to 15. Like a 90 day 1 dollar raise and then 50 cents on seniority dates so that they'd be 16 by 2023.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

I’m lumping Walmart and UPS together ... now get the hell out of here!

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Part-timers should start at $15/hr and be at $20/hr after four or five years. If FT wages need to be staggered or frozen, so be it.

C'mon people no ones wages need to be staggered or frozen..God..just look at their profit margins? They just got a huge tax break and are still going to pay minimum wages to the newbies. If nothing gets done with this contract it will never be done. Infighting does nothing except reflect the real issues. Rumor is that the first raise will be 70 cents and that will mean you can net after taxes 23 dollars full time on a 40 hour week and half that if part time 11.5 (two happy meals at McDonalds) is that enough to cover the cost of living increase for next year?

When we finally get the tentative agreement on paper, analyze it and if it is not up to your expectations vote the sucker down, down and down (Master/Supplements and Rider). Just from my reading we should have more info by the end of the next week, then watch the fun begin.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just from my reading we should have more info by the end of the next week, then watch the fun begin.

We'll see.

@Tony Q seems to proffer, that the good outweighs the bad.

But once TDU and Teamsters United get their "experts" to peruse it....

It will be all talk about concessions and vote no.

Like they could have done better.

-Bug-

Tony Q

We'll see.

@Tony Q seems to proffer, that the good outweighs the bad.

But once TDU and Teamsters United get their "experts" to peruse it....

It will be all talk about concessions and vote no.

Like they could have done better.

-Bug-
I think the conspirocy theorists will have all their little issues, but the members will be the final judge. There is something in this contract for everyone, as I have maintained all along. When it all settles in a couple weeks I think the good will out way the politics and we will see what happens. I do believe that you could get everything everyone want and yet some will never say its enough. Reasoning with some people is a no win situation.

Blackstream

I do believe that you could get everything everyone want and yet some will never say its enough. Reasoning with some people is a no win situation.
To be honest, my biggest beef doesn't even affect me or anyone currently working at UPS. My hub is barely doing ok hiring people at $15 an hour, and before that we were (and still kind of are) bleeding talent and desperately trying to hire anyone we could. It's at least partially because the minimum wage here is so high, and it's only going to get higher.

If our local doesn't get a rider that has our wage starting at $15, we'll probably be right back to where we were, crashing every night. At least it's more hours for me I guess.

Tony Q

To be honest, my biggest beef doesn't even affect me or anyone currently working at UPS. My hub is barely doing ok hiring people at $15 an hour, and before that we were (and still kind of are) bleeding talent and desperately trying to hire anyone we could. It's at least partially because the minimum wage here is so high, and it's only going to get higher.

If our local doesn't get a rider that has our wage starting at $15, we'll probably be right back to where we were, crashing every night. At least it's more hours for me I guess.
I understand where you are coming from. I wish we could have started the part timers off higher a long time ago, but when you are splitting up a pie you unfortunately split it up along what people will vote for. Its never favored the part timers because they simply don't vote.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

6 hour preload today. We are months away from peak season.

Karma...

I understand where you are coming from. I wish we could have started the part timers off higher a long time ago, but when you are splitting up a pie you unfortunately split it up along what people will vote for. Its never favored the part timers because they simply don't vote.
exactly correct......if you don't vote you don't count...and that includes all pt and ft....you don't get wealthy just working for an hourly wage....invest to make money.....otherwise you are just a slave to the whims of the management whether union or company..