Offer Sells Part-Timers Short

mikejonesjr

I think the company expects this contract to be voted down, knowing we wont go on strike before/during peak. And then forced to negotiate a better contract after peak is over. Hopefully noone is dumb enough to vote yes in this crappy first offer but thats what UPS is hoping for.

Attachments

• IMG_20180703_114835.jpg
    IMG_20180703_114835.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 276
Not sure it matters, but I'll be voting no, regardless of what is offered, because of the information "brown-out" in effect. This is the 4th contract since I started at UPS, and they've kept us in the dark longer and more completely than in any contract in the past that I can recall. Of course it will probably be like our last contract, in our region, we voted it down twice, then they shoved it up our ass anyways.

M

MenInBrown

I think there are only about 10% of the PTs at my center that are paying members allowing them to vote. If non paying PTs are
Not able to vote, not sure how UPS expects to get this passed with PTs. Most of them don’t make enough money to want to pay union dues.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think the company expects this contract to be voted down, knowing we wont go on strike before/during peak. And then forced to negotiate a better contract after peak is over. Hopefully noone is dumb enough to vote yes in this crappy first offer but thats what UPS is hoping for.

My prediction if the contract proposal gets turned down.

In November and December, UPS will deliver 6 days a week and install the 70 hour rule.
They'll ramp up the discipline and push the drivers to the brink. Every driver will be made to do 30 hours OT.

Superteeth2478

In November and December, UPS will deliver 6 days a week and install the 70 hour rule.
They'll ramp up the discipline and push the drivers to the brink. Every driver will be made to do 30 hours OT.
You're probably right. They'll see it as a battle of attrition, and if the union's leadership is in bed with management, then they'll simply not make any changes of note to the contract until peak season, when they'll get the drivers to break by working them 70 hours a week week in and week out. They'll eventually gladly vote yes just to be relieved of the overtime, and then once the contract is passed the opposite will happen with that crappy addition of "as long as work is available" to the 8-hour guarantee, at which point most will be probably be struggling to work at least 3 days out of the week.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Isn’t the rule 70 in 8?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Isn’t the rule 70 in 8?
There is a 34 hour reset for the 60/7 and 70/8 language. The weekend day + 10 hours counts as a reset and you can do 70 hours again next week.
Think of the language more for long-distance hauls on irregular schedules. The legal language really does not work out well for package delivery.

Tony Q

What were your proposals for your local that you submitted?

Tony Q

15hr starting in august, with catch up raises for currents. Basically
Maybe we can get that when we vote it down. I'll swap that out for a 43,000 a month 35 year pension. Its not like I'm collecting that one! What do you want to swap out for the part timers pension increase?

mikejonesjr

Maybe we can get that when we vote it down. I'll swap that out for a 43,000 a month 35 year pension. Its not like I'm collecting that one! What do you want to swap out for the part timers pension increase?
All that is fine. Doesn't change that pters are long time underpaid now. My Walmart is hiring for more than UPS here. Raises need to be given to all currents.

Tony Q

All that is fine. Doesn't change that pters are long time underpaid now. My Walmart is hiring for more than UPS here. Raises need to be given to all currents.
Last time I checked everyone would be getting a raise. What kind of health and welfare is your local Walmart offering? and don't tell me you step foot in that joint.

PT Car Washer

Last time I checked everyone would be getting a raise. What kind of health and welfare is your local Walmart offering? and don't tell me you step foot in that joint.
The proposed raise is less then UPS is currently paying new PT Union members. Of course there is no benefits for a year. And $600 Union initiation fees and monthly Union dues. How much is Walmarts initiation fees and monthly dues?

mikejonesjr

Its not a raise for currents with how minimum wages are rising. We don't account for inflation. Yes the benefits are good but for those w/o a family it wouldn't be expensive either way.