optimistic about negotiations

under the radar

A Trained Professional
I saw this in my local newspaper and was wondering if anyone had any news that was more specific.

Teamsters optimistic on UPS negotiations
Teamsters President James Hoffa said he's optimistic about reaching a contract agreement with United Parcel Service Inc., which employs 238,000 union members.
``Negotiations are going on today and this week,'' Hoffa said Monday. ``We are very hopeful of an early contract.''
The Teamsters' contract with the world's largest package shipper runs through July 2008. The union struck UPS, based in Atlanta, for two weeks in 1997 before coming to an agreement, and the two sides reached their current accord in 2002 two weeks before a strike deadline.
Hoffa wouldn't discuss details of the talks, including UPS's request for a new fund for full-time workers now covered by the multi-employer Central States Teamster pension plan. That plan is underfunded by an estimated $14 billion, and UPS likely would have to make a ``multibillion-dollar payment'' to leave, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst Thomas Wadewitz said in May.

rapidrandall

slow but sure
I saw this in my local newspaper and was wondering if anyone had any news that was more specific.

Teamsters optimistic on UPS negotiations
Teamsters President James Hoffa said he's optimistic about reaching a contract agreement with United Parcel Service Inc., which employs 238,000 union members.
``Negotiations are going on today and this week,'' Hoffa said Monday. ``We are very hopeful of an early contract.''
The Teamsters' contract with the world's largest package shipper runs through July 2008. The union struck UPS, based in Atlanta, for two weeks in 1997 before coming to an agreement, and the two sides reached their current accord in 2002 two weeks before a strike deadline.
Hoffa wouldn't discuss details of the talks, including UPS's request for a new fund for full-time workers now covered by the multi-employer Central States Teamster pension plan. That plan is underfunded by an estimated $14 billion, and UPS likely would have to make a ``multibillion-dollar payment'' to leave, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst Thomas Wadewitz said in May.
I also saw the article, but have not heard a word since. The news blackout is pretty inclusive and the two members I know on the national negotiating committee aren't talking either. Let's hope for good news soon.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I also saw the article, but have not heard a word since. The news blackout is pretty inclusive and the two members I know on the national negotiating committee aren't talking either. Let's hope for good news soon.
The contract teams are in philly this week through friday and lets hope a deal could get done real soon.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
hat plan is underfunded by an estimated $14 billion, and UPS likely would have to make a ``multibillion-dollar payment'' to leave, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst Thomas Wadewitz said in May.[/quote]

Those freakin crooks at CS. how could they let it get that bad? Will there be anything left for us when we retire?? Those freakin crooks!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
hat plan is underfunded by an estimated $14 billion, and UPS likely would have to make a ``multibillion-dollar payment'' to leave, JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst Thomas Wadewitz said in May.

Those freakin crooks at CS. how could they let it get that bad? Will there be anything left for us when we retire?? Those freakin crooks!![/quote]
Fyi there is a judge that makes all the funding decisions for that fund, ups, teamsters, and other teamster companies really dont have a say on how its invested.

There were some really bad investments made and some good ones that they held onto way to long and this is what happens.

Griff

Seeing as how the current contract is brazenly flouted on a daily basis, I'm not optimistic about a new one at all. They keep claiming they want to tighten up the contract language, but what does that matter when the language we have now is ignored. Our local has been great for many years now, but I'm really starting to wonder about these guys lately.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Seeing as how the current contract is brazenly flouted on a daily basis, I'm not optimistic about a new one at all. They keep claiming they want to tighten up the contract language, but what does that matter when the language we have now is ignored. Our local has been great for many years now, but I'm really starting to wonder about these guys lately.
Its up to us to force these guys to do their jobs. I have never understood when we get an agent that has no plans on ever going back to work for ups (retiring), they seem a little weaker, and its always the younger agents that seem to go the extra mile for the members. I mean if your going to retire how can ups seek revenge on you if/when you ever come back. Anyways griff make some noise, start rumors about other up and comers maybe thinking of a run at office, shake the tree a ittle.

upsgrunt

I did hear just today that UPS wants to get this contract signed by Thanksgiving to really set off the 100 year celebration, put customers at ease, and to make the stock price do better. (if that is possible)

helenofcalifornia

Fedex Ground was at one of my big pickups telling them we were going to go on strike. I told them no, I didn't think so. UPS does not want to deal with a strike during the Olympics in China, potentially a big shipper of goods with UPS. I also told them also I thought maybe we would have a contract by the end of the year. Then I told the shipper to ask Fedex Ground how much they paid to fill up their tank that day. And how much did that tune up cost?

ja4079

ja4079
I find it very interesting that anyone would suggest to read Teamester news to get the real story on anything! Of course we all know they would print only the real truth- the way they see the truth that is-

JustTired

free at last.......
I really find it disgusting how we are kept in the dark on these negotiations. Oh....we get the updates in the mail, but they never say anything other than generalities. They could keep sending the same one out month after month and you would be just as informed. Hey...maybe they do. I'll have to look a little closer.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I really find it disgusting how we are kept in the dark on these negotiations. Oh....we get the updates in the mail, but they never say anything other than generalities. They could keep sending the same one out month after month and you would be just as informed. Hey...maybe they do. I'll have to look a little closer.

The reason that no real details come out is that there is a gag order in effect during the negotiations. I went to a meeting at my Local where one of our BAs was at the meeting when the new proposed pension offer was made. He could only speak about what his opinion was and isn't allowed to give details. It stinks that the Company and the IBT doesn't let the members know exactly where negotiations are at. I hate Contract time personally.

bear123

Hey haz mat man--in the words of Aerosmith dream on, dream on. If it's any consolation, the union is really pushing to decrease the gap of p/t new hires but the company is resisting big-time. that is one of the issues that is going to make or break this contract negotioan--among other things of course--like the pension.

JustTired

free at last.......
The reason that no real details come out is that there is a gag order in effect during the negotiations. I went to a meeting at my Local where one of our BAs was at the meeting when the new proposed pension offer was made. He could only speak about what his opinion was and isn't allowed to give details. It stinks that the Company and the IBT doesn't let the members know exactly where negotiations are at. I hate Contract time personally.

Yeah....a bunch of guys setting in an airconditioned room deciding your fate. And after they've decided what's best for you, then they show you. Your only choice at that point in time is to vote yes or no.

Sorta like going to the grocery store and having someone else do the shopping for you. You tell them a few of your likes and dislikes. Then they and the store manager walk around and decide what to fill your cart with (including some of your dislikes). Once they're at the checkout, your only decision is to pay for it or walk away.

Of course......dealing directly with the store manager (as he keeps forcing stuff into your cart) might not be a whole lot of fun either.:tongue_sm

bear123

The contract teams are in philly this week through friday and lets hope a deal could get done real soon.

If you go to makeupsdeliver.com it says that negotiations are suspended for the time being because ups wants to deal directly with Central states. the union basically walked out and told the company that when they are ready to bargain to let them know.

bear123

I did hear just today that UPS wants to get this contract signed by Thanksgiving to really set off the 100 year celebration, put customers at ease, and to make the stock price do better. (if that is possible)

So much for getting this done by the end of March as hall had stated. I'm surprised that ups is willing to extend this till Thanksgiving, since the 100 year anniversary officially starts in September. That is what ups was hoping--to get this contract signed sealed and delivered :lol:before the celebration starts and they can concentrate on that.

dammor

If you go to makeupsdeliver.com it says that negotiations are suspended for the time being because ups wants to deal directly with Central states. the union basically walked out and told the company that when they are ready to bargain to let them know.

I can't even pretend to feel hopefull about this contract. I've been working here a very long time and have learned that UPS and the Union are one in the same. We are the cash cows. We make a living for both. When we wear out there is always someone willing to take our place. And before the APWA boys jump on this let me just say UPS would chew you up and spit you out. Not trying to start a fight here, but these are the facts as I see them. How sad is it that we we have no say in his process?

FEGuy

So much for getting this done by the end of March as hall had stated. I'm surprised that ups is willing to extend this till Thanksgiving, since the 100 year anniversary officially starts in September. That is what ups was hoping--to get this contract signed sealed and delivered :lol:before the celebration starts and they can concentrate on that.

This is just blatantly false. The "celebration" started in January, and the traveling roadshow is making its way across the country.
Also, please produce ANY documentation from the company that the plan was to have a signed, sealed and delivered contract on any stated date.
I'll check back later.