Post work(out) supplements?

ocnewguy

After a shift inside (or outside) the hub, what supplements do you generally consume? I've been trying the whey protein shake thing for a few weeks now and it seems to have made a night and day difference as far as recovering from the soreness. However I know there's a million different things at health stores, most of which is probably BS.

I've heard good things about BCAA? What else is good? I guess this is mainly directed at the gym guys

After my 11 hour shift tonight I'm go with the good old supplement that men take. It's called Budweiser and it really make the meat stick to your bones. Try it

jaker

trolling
You must be new , working is not a workout it's a job

And if you think this job is a workout what are you going to do when you plateau work harder and faster for the same amount of money

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
After a shift inside (or outside) the hub, what supplements do you generally consume? I've been trying the whey protein shake thing for a few weeks now and it seems to have made a night and day difference as far as recovering from the soreness. However I know there's a million different things at health stores, most of which is probably BS.

I've heard good things about BCAA? What else is good? I guess this is mainly directed at the gym guys
Whey is good but u prob need more of a compound protein that's going to release slowly. Your body can only take in so much protein so fast. This is why it upsets a lot of people stomachs. Make sure you take some protein before bed also with whole milk for prime recovery. This in addition to after work.

laffter

working is not a workout it's a job

c/o dictionary.com

a structured regime of physical exercise

the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit

Loader, unloader, preloader, driver. All of these UPS jobs are a workout.

STFXG

BCAAs are an all day thing. You only need and can use so much. Eat more red meat. Or a good supplement is xtend (I know, horrible name).

As far as recovery creatine will help you the most. Just make sure you drink plenty of water.

Other than the protein shake get a good multi vitamin. I use orange triad. But there are plenty of good ones out there.

Of course this is all overkill just for your job.

stink219

BCAAs are an all day thing. You only need and can use so much. Eat more red meat. Or a good supplement is xtend (I know, horrible name).

As far as recovery creatine will help you the most. Just make sure you drink plenty of water.

Other than the protein shake get a good multi vitamin. I use orange triad. But there are plenty of good ones out there.

I disagree with only one statement. Creatine serves as a quick source of energy for your muscles but is exhausted by a few seconds of intense exercise.
I'd go with Glutamine. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in your muscles, needing replacement after exercise. Although your body can normally produce glutamine on its own, your body may not be able to produce enough glutamine to keep up with the demands of intense exercise. Even though your total protein intake may be adequate to meet exercise demands, adding extra glutamine in your diet can help aid muscle recovery. Not having enough glutamine after intense exercise may lead to decreased immune system function.

STFXG

I disagree with only one statement. Creatine serves as a quick source of energy for your muscles but is exhausted by a few seconds of intense exercise.
I'd go with Glutamine. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in your muscles, needing replacement after exercise. Although your body can normally produce glutamine on its own, your body may not be able to produce enough glutamine to keep up with the demands of intense exercise. Even though your total protein intake may be adequate to meet exercise demands, adding extra glutamine in your diet can help aid muscle recovery. Not having enough glutamine after intense exercise may lead to decreased immune system function.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/creatine-and-muscle-recovery/

But I do agree that glutamine is good stuff. It's in xtend with a few other other amino acids (BCAAs)

Just go grab you some myotein and call it a day. It will be cheaper getting it from amazon, and just take it when you get off or before you go to bed. I work preload shift and workout and i use myotein during the work week and feel fine the next morning.

UPSGUY72

working is not a workout it's a job

c/o dictionary.com

a structured regime of physical exercise

the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit

Loader, unloader, preloader, driver. All of these UPS jobs are a workout.

Not true. I can prove it. Go to to work and look around and see how many loaders, unloaders, preloaders, drivers are overweight and out of shape. Some of those people have been with the company 20+ yrs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's a job, not a workout. If you're getting sore all the time you're doing it wrong.
You don't really need any special supplements just eat right and make sure you're well hydrated, the root cause of a lot of muscle soreness is chronic dehydration because none of your body's internal chemical processes (including muscle recovery) function efficiently without enough fluid.
If you really want to drink something during your shift Xtend (like a few have already mentioned) works well, not just for the BCAA's and glutamine but because it also has a solid electrolyte profile.

ocnewguy

Not true. I can prove it. Go to to work and look around and see how many loaders, unloaders, preloaders, drivers are overweight and out of shape. Some of those people have been with the company 20+ yrs.

You see plenty of fat asses at the gym and working construction/roofing/any other physical job as well. doesn't mean it isn't a body workout. working out isn't limited to squats and bench press.