PT Preload contract? Pay raises?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You're welcome.

Next subject. Emergency fund. Do you have one?
Another thing on my financial research to do list. Everyone has a different answer for how big the emergency fund should be. Ours could last us close to a year without too much of a lifestyle adjustment. Probably keeping too much cash considering our level of job security.

Another thing on my financial research to do list. Everyone has a different answer for how big the emergency fund should be. Ours could last us close to a year without too much of a lifestyle adjustment. Probably keeping too much cash considering our level of job security.
Sounds like you are in good shape. Sometimes cash is King. Especially if you got in an accident outside of work.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sounds like you are in good shape. Sometimes cash is King. Especially if you got in an accident outside of work.
Ya I should look into some kind of supplemental disability insurance I don't know anything about that stuff. People occasionally come to my wife's work to pitch it to them but she says they all seem sleazy lol.

Ya I should look into some kind of supplemental disability insurance I don't know anything about that stuff. People occasionally come to my wife's work to pitch it to them but she says they all seem sleazy lol.
You have a good amount saved in an emergency fund. Look at something that doesn't pay day one coverage. Maybe something that pays after 30 or 60 days.
We have some through work. I think it's about 500 or $600 a week

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We don't keep a ton of liquid cash on hand.

We do keep a good amount in fairly stable dividend paying stocks that can be liquidated quickly.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
15 for new hires wont happen. Who would vote in favor of that? Nobody would unless current part timers are given a 4 dollar bump as well.
They didnt bump it 4 dollars. It was like 1.50 bump and the current employees got .70 i believe
Even in the fairy tale world where it would go up by $4, part timers don't vote, so saying they wouldn't vote for it without a catch up raise is a moot point.

Snack

Even in the fairy tale world where it would go up by $4, part timers don't vote, so saying they wouldn't vote for it without a catch up raise is a moot point.
I've been with UPS for nearly two years. In that time, dozens upon dozens of new hires have started and since quit. That's just on my 10 to 15 man unload crew. Guys aren't around long enough to educate themselves on union matters.

It seems to me that higher wages for part timers would be beneficial to all involved. Our sort would run much more efficiently if it weren't for the constant stream of clueless newbies.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I've been with UPS for nearly two years. In that time, dozens upon dozens of new hires have started and since quit. That's just on my 10 to 15 man unload crew. Guys aren't around long enough to educate themselves on union matters.

It seems to me that higher wages for part timers would be beneficial to all involved. Our sort would run much more efficiently if it weren't for the constant stream of clueless newbies.
An increase in wages for our company's entry level employees would be great, and probably create a ripple effect of better employees across the board that could benefit the company as a whole far into the future.

But how would it effect short term profit? How would it effect dividends paid out to stockholders? That's what we're up against.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
With the way technology is advancing, the shorter the contract the better I say. We need to be able to negotiate how industry changes will affect us. Locking into a 5+ year contract could really hurt us.
we wont get anything shorter, ups does not want a short contract, it avoids a strike