PT Preload contract? Pay raises?

I've been with UPS for nearly two years. In that time, dozens upon dozens of new hires have started and since quit. That's just on my 10 to 15 man unload crew. Guys aren't around long enough to educate themselves on union matters.

It seems to me that higher wages for part timers would be beneficial to all involved. Our sort would run much more efficiently if it weren't for the constant stream of clueless newbies.

Hit the nail right on the head. One guy said he never joined the union because he was just using this for school. Lucky he never needed them to help secure reimbursement..!! other PT guys were talking about the union and how they felt it useless since they'd just go work something easier for minimum wage. I told them how it saved my job, fix my manipulated attendance, and one other thing and they were beside themselves.

There really needs to be better sign-ons. Like hit seniority get a grand or something. Don't just hand it out to any new hire, let them work for it. Yeah sure you might see people still quit but more will think about staying for the long run. You gotta think, it's a pretty secure job once you're in, and money is money. But the 18-24 group just doesn't care enough to stay employed here. I did a month in evening sort and saw eight guys get hired and quit. I didn't even work every day either.

DOK

Good way to get lots of PTers to vote for some fat concessions on the FT side. Probably won't pay as well to go FT next August.

The Company will cite ongoing lower revenue per package given the booming number of residential stops. The trend will only increase. Have to lower delivery costs.

Will be interesting to see what's said during the Q2 results call next Thursday.
Miss me with that "have to lower delivery costs" stuff while our profits are in the billions.

brown_trousers

Hit the nail right on the head. One guy said he never joined the union because he was just using this for school. Lucky he never needed them to help secure reimbursement..!! other PT guys were talking about the union and how they felt it useless since they'd just go work something easier for minimum wage. I told them how it saved my job, fix my manipulated attendance, and one other thing and they were beside themselves.

There really needs to be better sign-ons. Like hit seniority get a grand or something. Don't just hand it out to any new hire, let them work for it. Yeah sure you might see people still quit but more will think about staying for the long run. You gotta think, it's a pretty secure job once you're in, and money is money. But the 18-24 group just doesn't care enough to stay employed here. I did a month in evening sort and saw eight guys get hired and quit. I didn't even work every day either.

instead of a higher starting wage, Id rather see significant raises for existing part timers. with the hope that it will encourage preloaders to stick around longer. There's nothing worse than getting a new hire preloader every week loading my car!!!

Trust me there are some of us who care and are seeing it through. I know it's frustrating. If there were raises at 30 days, 90 days, seniority, then year, it'd help. I'm not talking anything big let's say they hire at 10, 10.25 for 30, 10.60 for 60 and 11 for seniority and then it's up to union. Then workers can judge if they're gonna stay for raises outlined in the contract. That's only a buck an hour raise but it is important enough just getting one to begin with, because you'll never hear you're doing a good job from anyone except coworkers in your first 90.

Some of us try and remember drivers too.. not a lot of us get the same routes everyday.. so we will know driver A likes a clear aisle and all 70/irregs in back, driver B wants bags and envelopes toted, whichever. Or if we know the cover driver on a callout, we can still salvage some preferences depending on when they called out. We get this out of the way at PCM, usually. The same people who don't care participate and just load, usually misloading or setting themselves up for a :censored2:fit and fixing it last minute alongside an angry driver.

A couple of the people they pull off preload are some of our best guys. We've had to pull them and they went from 40 misloads to 3. I don't know if people get too comfortable and lazy or what. I don't want my driver bitching and moaning my name to supes. I don't wanna make their day harder. It doesn't take much effort to do things right. We are all in it together. Some day someone will be loading my car. I may as well make a positive impact.

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional

I can attest to this. Every since mid June I've had 11 (!!!!!!!!) different loaders working the truck bay across from me. Drivers are pissed and all the newbies are awful. Constant new hires affects an entire belt either via misloads or clogging the belt from sluggish loading. Annoying.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Trust me there are some of us who care and are seeing it through. I know it's frustrating. If there were raises at 30 days, 90 days, seniority, then year, it'd help. I'm not talking anything big let's say they hire at 10, 10.25 for 30, 10.60 for 60 and 11 for seniority and then it's up to union. Then workers can judge if they're gonna stay for raises outlined in the contract. That's only a buck an hour raise but it is important enough just getting one to begin with, because you'll never hear you're doing a good job from anyone except coworkers in your first 90.

Some of us try and remember drivers too.. not a lot of us get the same routes everyday.. so we will know driver A likes a clear aisle and all 70/irregs in back, driver B wants bags and envelopes toted, whichever. Or if we know the cover driver on a callout, we can still salvage some preferences depending on when they called out. We get this out of the way at PCM, usually. The same people who don't care participate and just load, usually misloading or setting themselves up for a :censored2:fit and fixing it last minute alongside an angry driver.

A couple of the people they pull off preload are some of our best guys. We've had to pull them and they went from 40 misloads to 3. I don't know if people get too comfortable and lazy or what. I don't want my driver bitching and moaning my name to supes. I don't wanna make their day harder. It doesn't take much effort to do things right. We are all in it together. Some day someone will be loading my car. I may as well make a positive impact.
They have had close to the same starting wage for over 25 years... so us asking for a starting wage at 13 or 14 shouldn't be reaching for the stars....

DOK

They have had close to the same starting wage for over 25 years... so us asking for a starting wage at 13 or 14 shouldn't be reaching for the stars....
To be able to raise the starting wage they would have to give us current employees less of a raise, the total compensation package is a set dollar figure, it is divided up and sliced and diced like pie. I'm not giving up my piece for someone who doesn't even work here yet.

brown_trousers

What do you guys think about this whole pension situation.... if they try to friend us on paying future contributions is this a strike able issue???

I dont think UPS will "friend" us on those pensions, they will abide by the agreements they made with the teamsters.

Whether or not the teamsters should have agreed to these pension changes, is a different issue altogether.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Where'd you hear they're gonna friend us on paying future pensions??
Mgt is loosing future contributions in 5 years.... ever heard of the trickle down effect...I never said it WAS going to happen but people would be a fool to think they aren't going to push real hard....