Punches changed to 'No Call' on WOR

Dragon

Package Center Manager
How does an employee remain compliant to this standard?
Is it reasonable to expect an employee to "schedule" his illnesses and personal business to be in compliance with the mandated "1 hour before start time rule"???....

....and while we're at it, what's the penalty for NCNS, or is it just a fancy acronym for an occurrence???

Well since you asked. Yes this what we expect, we expect you to notify us. It's not hard. Some management teams are just hard asses about it, some are more reasonable as long as its not abused.

No Call No Show, 3 occurrences in a row and we automatically send a letter to contact UPS. After 10 days and no contact bye,bye. We get rid of at least 3-5 people a year on that alone not including normal absenteeism discipline.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well since you asked. Yes this what we expect, we expect you to notify us. It's not hard. Some management teams are just hard asses about it, some are more reasonable as long as its not abused.

No Call No Show, 3 occurrences in a row and we automatically send a letter to contact UPS. After 10 days and no contact bye,bye. We get rid of at least 3-5 people a year on that alone not including normal absenteeism discipline.

Good Job!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The key word being "reasonable"....or the words "one hour before start time", which you conveniently skipped over???
No Call No Show, 3 occurrences in a row and we automatically send a letter to contact UPS. After 10 days and no contact bye,bye.
Now that's reasonable, I have to admit....but once???

....especially when embellished in regards to being late, not so much.
We get rid of at least 3-5 people a year on that alone not including normal absenteeism discipline.
It must suck to be you, stuck working part time sorts as a big time manager.....

.....because there is no way you fire 3-5 "full time" people a year for NCNS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a time clock (computer log in) in each work area. You clock in and wait for the PCM = on time. Not to hard try it sometime.

The look on our center manager's face when drivers straggle in during the PCM is priceless.

I recall one morning a driver did this while our DM was giving the PCM. Did not work out too well for that driver.

F

Frankie's Friend

The look on our center manager's face when drivers straggle in during the PCM is priceless.

I recall one morning a driver did this while our DM was giving the PCM. Did not work out too well for that driver.
Did you get a verbal, write up, or warning letter?

F

Frankie's Friend

After 10 days? Looks like they already got rid of you as a headache (while you "hard :censored2:" waited) and found a good job dude.
Whats that old song, 50 ways to leave your lizzard? Or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

upser978

This post is geared towards those who are shop stewards or has in-depth knowledge of the union contracts.

I will be turning in a grievance this week and have all papers, evidence ready. The situation was I misread my schedule thus accidentally starting 15 minutes late. Last time I was late was by 2 minutes during the first week of January. I clocked in, threw a package noting the tracking number, spoke with supervisor owning up to my error. She requested I leave the sort then changed my punch to a 'No Call' on the WOR. Punches where 4:15 in, 4:18 out. She advised me I was being considered an 'NCNS' for that day. The punch log should show that she edited my punches to a 'No Call'. I did write a package tracking number down before leaving as secondary proof that I was in the hub.

Due to such unorthodox procedures in my hub, I must disclose so perhaps some of you in my district may be able to offer any advice. My hub is 0764 DFW Air, 19th St, DFW Airport, TX. The areas in the hub affected are sort aisle, unload, small sorts, outbound on both night and sunrise. Time cards are not being edited to NCNS for tardies on day sort, twilight, preload (all shifts), and ramp (all shifts).

In the grievance, I am protesting lost wages of $.82 / 3 minutes, falsification of the time card, and unfair enforcement (another person was allowed to work despite being 8 min late)

Considering the situation above, which clause under the supplement for my region can be applied. Been reading through the book and well...it is very understandable for anyone to be baffled by this.
This post is geared towards those who are shop stewards or has in-depth knowledge of the union contracts.

I will be turning in a grievance this week and have all papers, evidence ready. The situation was I misread my schedule thus accidentally starting 15 minutes late. Last time I was late was by 2 minutes during the first week of January. I clocked in, threw a package noting the tracking number, spoke with supervisor owning up to my error. She requested I leave the sort then changed my punch to a 'No Call' on the WOR. Punches where 4:15 in, 4:18 out. She advised me I was being considered an 'NCNS' for that day. The punch log should show that she edited my punches to a 'No Call'. I did write a package tracking number down before leaving as secondary proof that I was in the hub.

Due to such unorthodox procedures in my hub, I must disclose so perhaps some of you in my district may be able to offer any advice. My hub is 0764 DFW Air, 19th St, DFW Airport, TX. The areas in the hub affected are sort aisle, unload, small sorts, outbound on both night and sunrise. Time cards are not being edited to NCNS for tardies on day sort, twilight, preload (all shifts), and ramp (all shifts).

In the grievance, I am protesting lost wages of $.82 / 3 minutes, falsification of the time card, and unfair enforcement (another person was allowed to work despite being 8 min late)

Considering the situation above, which clause under the supplement for my region can be applied. Been reading through the book and well...it is very understandable for anyone to be baffled by this.
Yeah man its a complete joke! I work at DFW Airport Hub on the Sunrise sort also. Who knows we might even know each other or work in the same work area. Management goes by their favorite workers and let them come in late and stay and work. Me on the other hand come in 3 minutes late and I get sent home as no call/ no show. Part time sups, full time sups and hub manager are a joke at DFW Airport Hub Sunrise.

celsiana

I don't understand how you could be NO Call No Show when You showed up for work. Although late. How is that correct? ANd why are you punished three times for just being late once? 1.You wrote up for NC NS, 2.your wrote up for being late. and 3. you have to go home and miss a day of work. Seems like only one of the above should be enough repercussion for tardiness.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I received a NCNS for one of my days off. It's quite amusing, really. I wouldn't take it too seriously, but would mention it to a FT sup or manager with a steward present.

Daf

payroll adjustment and you are still coded as NCNS..easy fix.
This is dishonest. If you punch in late, you have still reported for work. This is not a no show. If you want to discipline for it do it the honest way and start writing people up for being late.

22.34life

Now this is practice in my local and how I enforce this with my b.a.if an employee is late the company has the right to send u home,however they do not have the right to work u for x amount of time and then say go home.in this instance article 48&64 should be followed.regardless of this u get paid for all time u work.if a full time supervisor is verbally telling u they will alter ur timecard in this manor call corporate and file grievances.

22.34life

If u punch in late the company can deny u ur guarantee but if u have been worked the guarantee should still apply.if they want to send u home do it immediately not when it's convenient for them

Dragon

Package Center Manager
How does an employee remain compliant to this standard?
Is it reasonable to expect an employee to "schedule" his illnesses and personal business to be in compliance with the mandated "1 hour before start time rule"???....

....and while we're at it, what's the penalty for NCNS, or is it just a fancy acronym for an occurrence???

We can talk about reasonable all day long and never agree on it. It's convenient to use reasonable from your side " when the employee clearly did not notify UPS by the mandated 1 before start time" because of an unscheduled illness or personal business, its a clear violation, just like when you go over 9.5 by 1 minute or the NDA is delivered at 10:30:01.

Just because it's an illness or personal business we should let it slide, is that the point you are trying to make?

NCNS = No Call No Show, another words you failed to report to work at your start time and you did not notify us. If everyone else is on time and I am good on staffing you are going home.

Another way for the Management team to handle the situation in this post would have been to still send the person home, pay for the 3 minutes and enter a short note in PCIS under attendance. ( Herb reported 3 minutes late, 2nd occurance sent home, no pay guarantee due). Then print off attendance record next day and file it (with notes), all note entries are saved. I promise you the Labor Manger will be your new best friend (this statement is for management).

wilberforce15

No Call No Show is just plain false.

That's because you showed.

If you show, it's not a no-show.

That's because a no-show involves not showing.

But you did show.

Make them write you up for a No-Call-Late-Show or ask if you will be allowed to abuse the English language as much as they have.

542thruNthru

No Call No Show is just plain false.

That's because you showed.

If you show, it's not a no-show.

That's because a no-show involves not showing.

But you did show.

Make them write you up for a No-Call-Late-Show or ask if you will be allowed to abuse the English language as much as they have.

This place is kind like Bangkok but instead of "check the neck" it's "check the date." ;)

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
NCNS is used when a employee does not notify UPS within 1 hour of start time that they will be absent, late etc: etc: pretty much standard here

So I call an hour before my shift and say I’m gonna be late then no chance of a no show. But if I call ten minutes out saying there’s an accident around the corner from the buildingand the roads closed and I’m gonna be late I can be sent home and charged with a no show? Jeez what the hell was the practice before the cell phone?

wilberforce15

So I call an hour before my shift and say I’m gonna be late then no chance of a no show. But if I call ten minutes out saying there’s an accident around the corner from the buildingand the roads closed and I’m gonna be late I can be sent home and charged with a no show? Jeez what the hell was the practice before the cell phone?

You've got it.

They also want us to be even later than we would be otherwise, because I'm going to pull out of traffic to make the call about the accident blocking me.

There are roughly 1,000,000 ways that you can be late, with less than an hour notice, through no fault of your own. It will be rare, but if a few happen in a short period, you could be in real trouble.