Rail strike

newfie

These guys are essentially on call 24/7 and get reprimanded for things like going to doctors appointments.
i find that hard to believe. Most train movements are scheduled and i would think most conductor jobs are scheduled.
the issue being over week end work like everyone else is I'm sure the main issue.

Cowboy Mac

i find that hard to believe. Most train movements are scheduled and i would think most conductor jobs are scheduled.
the issue being over week end work like everyone else is I'm sure the main issue.
These are not just conductors though. These are also mechanics, guys who maintain the crossings, etc. I have talked to railroad employees that said they had to drive across the country to find work sometimes.

The news article you quote from is several months out of date. Several of the RR Unions did agree with the arbitrators recommendation while several others rejected them.
No they had a 60-day cooling off period that is why the article was dated in July
Those 60 days was going to be up today so that's why they come to an agreement on the new contract

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
President Biden prevented the rail workers from striking 2 months ago.

He appointed a board of arbitrators to come up with a solution. The unions have rejected that solution.
Not true.
The news article you quote from is several months out of date. Several of the RR Unions did agree with the arbitrators recommendation while several others rejected them.
You said I'm wrong then literally posted exactly what I said. Are you hitting the sauce early today old man?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The railroads stopped scheduling crew members for particular trains a while ago, and went to rotating on-call lists.

Also, actual on-time compliance with the scheduling seems to be a lot lower than one might expect.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Several of the RR Unions did agree with the arbitrators recommendation while several others rejected them.
The Unions did not reject that solution.
SmartSelect_20220915_091056_Gallery.gif

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Exactly, and long shifts when on duty, only 1 day off per month. The example I heard (from a SMART union staff member): you could work a long shift Wednesday, have a long off-duty period Thursday (away from home/motel), then get off work Friday too late to make it to a scheduled appointment.
Not to mention they're DRIVING A TRAIN. Any accident with that and you're beyond :censored2:ed

newfie

These are not just conductors though. These are also mechanics, guys who maintain the crossings, etc. I have talked to railroad employees that said they had to drive across the country to find work sometimes.
i would think that would be the exception not the rule

newfie

No they had a 60-day cooling off period that is why the article was dated in July
Those 60 days was going to be up today so that's why they come to an agreement on the new contract
government is not going to let a train strike go on for very long before they force both sides back under some kind of mediation.

newfie

The railroads stopped scheduling crew members for particular trains a while ago, and went to rotating on-call lists.

Also, actual on-time compliance with the scheduling seems to be a lot lower than one might expect.
you're saying a union shop with union crews is not able to select the work they get and the schedule their work?
because if they are then just like ups most drivers are able to schedule and plan and the junior guys will be the ones that have to jump through hoops to have some kind of regular work schedule.