Rail strike

100%

It's fact.
Every single Democrat voted yes on a bill with no sick leave for the workers.

They could have voted no.
They made their choice.
They still think trump is prez too. Looking for someone to blame bc they’re too much of a coward to admit they were duped by this old ass white man! Lmao

100%

if you believe a union should have the power to shut down or cause the economy to go into a recession then you’re sick. I feel for the railroad workers, but I don’t want to suffer because they can’t get sick days.

Stepping in to mediate was the right thing for all parties including America.
News flash, we’re already in a recession. Smh
Don’t blame poor people for recessions. You look ignorant and just plain stupid. You clearly know nothing about how this economy works. Unions are here to protect workers first, and if getting 7 paid sick days will cause a recession, then the union ain’t the problem eh? Smh

100%

The Republicans fully supported forcing the contract on them without the sick days. The Democrats tried to get them sick days. The Republicans took the stance that the rail workers don't deserve sick days.
Democrats voted for the bill with no sick days. Did you miss that vote in the senate? Good grief, can we not just be normal people anymore and call BS when theirs BS? UNIONS just got stabbed in the back.

100%

They got everything but sick days due to Biden stepping in. The republicans didn’t like the idea for paid sick days. Seems like the republicans want a strike so they can point at the economy for the during the election. The railroad works got somethings they wanted, Biden got somethings he wanted and the republicans screwed over working Americans, so they got what they wanted. Strike avoided, no two billion a day loss, and no recession started.

Win win Situation. You can’t except everything if you’re begging for it.
Dude please stop with your bogus recession talk. Are you that ignorant to blame a union for a recession? First, we’re already in a recession. The senate vote was 80-15 for a bill that didn’t include sick days. Democrats passed that bill. They could have voted it down, but they didn’t. They stabbed us in the back, started pissing on our backs, and told us it’s just raining. You’re the only one that believes them. Smh

100%

People on the other side think Biden and Democrats are evil. They will never believe facts, only opinions.
I get what you’re saying, but there aren’t 80 republicans in the senate that voted for a bill that did not have the sick days in it. I don’t know how you’re trying to spin this. We need to stop trying to spin crap. We got hosed, and yes your democrats were major players just like the republicans. The bill that passed with NO SICK DAYS, could only pass with DEMOCRATS voting for it. Yes what just happened shows everyone that BIDEN is evil. We have eyes. We see WTH just happened. It’s infuriating!

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
News flash, we’re already in a recession. Smh
Don’t blame poor people for recessions. You look ignorant and just plain stupid. You clearly know nothing about how this economy works. Unions are here to protect workers first, and if getting 7 paid sick days will cause a recession, then the union ain’t the problem eh? Smh
Poor people??? Who is poor? Not the rail road workers, that is for sure. Since I don’t know, please explain to me how it works.

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
Dude please stop with your bogus recession talk. Are you that ignorant to blame a union for a recession? First, we’re already in a recession. The senate vote was 80-15 for a bill that didn’t include sick days. Democrats passed that bill. They could have voted it down, but they didn’t. They stabbed us in the back, started pissing on our backs, and told us it’s just raining. You’re the only one that believes them. Smh
Sounds like you been watching a lot of Fox News or news max. You do know there are other sources of information out there. You don’t have to believe me or the “liberal media”. you just got to live your life and die. So be my guest. But while you living to die, you will continue to get screwed by these people you continue to vote for. That’s why ignorance is bliss. Here is your blue pill. 💊

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
I get what you’re saying, but there aren’t 80 republicans in the senate that voted for a bill that did not have the sick days in it. I don’t know how you’re trying to spin this. We need to stop trying to spin crap. We got hosed, and yes your democrats were major players just like the republicans. The bill that passed with NO SICK DAYS, could only pass with DEMOCRATS voting for it. Yes what just happened shows everyone that BIDEN is evil. We have eyes. We see WTH just happened. It’s infuriating!
so you going to ignore the bill the administration put up that would of added that provision to the agreement? That’s convenient. Because the republicans Almost unanimously voted no, both in the house and in the senate. Luckily, Democrats have a majority in the house, where it passed, but failed in the senate (52-43). 42 republicans and one democrat voted no. Now that’s facts.

HyperBrn

The facts:

The House and Senate were asked to pass a law that:
1. Made a rail union strike ILLEGAL (IE if they decide to strike, they get arrested).
2. Forced the rail unions to work under the provisions set forth by the government in September.

The House proposed an amendment to add 7 paid sick days to the original set of provisions:
1. The amendment passed in the House
2. The amendment failed to get enough votes in the Senate.

Conscious of all this:
1. The original set of provisions were voted to be imposed by both the Senate and House.

Everyone is so quick to play the blame game. But really the blame should go to the railroad corporations.

Yes, the sick day amendment failed predominantly because Republicans voted predominantly no.
But the fact that Congress, and ultimately the President, voted to circumvent a union's RIGHT to strike (using a 96 year old law as the justification) suggests that the majority of Congressmen(women) are complicit in stripping the unions of their bargaining power and handing the railroad corporations a big win.

Think the railroad union negotiation was challenging this time? Just wait til this Congress-imposed contract expires. I bet/hope that it'll be even more contentious next time.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The facts:

The House and Senate were asked to pass a law that:
1. Made a rail union strike ILLEGAL (IE if they decide to strike, they get arrested).
2. Forced the rail unions to work under the provisions set forth by the government in September.

The House proposed an amendment to add 7 paid sick days to the original set of provisions:
1. The amendment passed in the House
2. The amendment failed to get enough votes in the Senate.

Conscious of all this:
1. The original set of provisions were voted to be imposed by both the Senate and House.

Everyone is so quick to play the blame game. But really the blame should go to the railroad corporations.

Yes, the sick day amendment failed predominantly because Republicans voted predominantly no.
But the fact that Congress, and ultimately the President, voted to circumvent a union's RIGHT to strike (using a 96 year old law as the justification) suggests that the majority of Congressmen(women) are complicit in stripping the unions of their bargaining power and handing the railroad corporations a big win.

Think the railroad union negotiation was challenging this time? Just wait til this Congress-imposed contract expires. I bet/hope that it'll be even more contentious next time.
Thanks for this. We should all be a little more quick to blame corporations than politicians. Politicians are the pawns of corporate greed and deception.

Whither

Scofflaw
Thanks for this. We should all be a little more quick to blame corporations than politicians. Politicians are the pawns of corporate greed and deception.
Yes -- the politicians are accessories to corporate interests. However, from the outset Biden could have put the heat squarely on the RR companies for failing to negotiate in good faith and Congress could have followed suit. Neither Biden nor Congress as a whole has done so. All strikebreaking parties must be exposed and held accountable to furthest extent possible.

Likewise, the unions have seemed more interested in courting the gov't (a foolish gambit) than organizing/preparing their ranks to refuse to accept a substandard contract. For example, Pelosi and Marty Walsh were invited to speak at the BLET convention. That's atrocious. Invite rank and file organizers/activists and show support for their efforts. Unions should know to expect very little from the gov't. I hope against hope for a wildcat. It is a long shot, at best.

However ... One of the largest rail yards in the country is in my center's area. I've been talking with a coworker who has several stops at that railyard and he said things are eerily quiet. There's been a lot of anger the past few months -- even though he's rarely if ever talking with conductors and engineers, who are the flashpoint of this fight. Rail workers who aren't getting the brunt of the abuse feel real solidarity for the conductors and engineers. He himself can't tell if it's "the calm before the storm" or if it's the sound of defeat. We will see.

Non liberal

It's fact.
Every single Democrat voted yes on a bill with no sick leave for the workers.

They could have voted no.
They made their choice.
Absolutely, it’s time for the union to stop supporting non- worker friendly democrats, and start supporting republicans who are now the working class friendly party. The teamsters need to stop using my dues to send me literature on voting for democrats who take away our right to strike down a contract! Unbelievable!!

PT Car Washer

Absolutely, it’s time for the union to stop supporting non- worker friendly democrats, and start supporting republicans who are now the working class friendly party. The teamsters need to stop using my dues to send me literature on voting for democrats who take away our right to strike down a contract! Unbelievable!!
What Bizzarro World do you live in. Up is down and right is wrong?

Nah
Because the Republicans would vote the whole thing down. At least it prevented a rail strike and forced the Republicans to show their true colors. Yellow.
But then you could blame the republicans for destroying the economy, and I for one don't believe it would have failed.

As for preventing a strike, you talk about that like that's a good thing. Aren't you union? Don't you stand in solidarity with those workers? Or are you a scab too?

PT Car Washer

But then you could blame the republicans for destroying the economy, and I for one don't believe it would have failed.

As for preventing a strike, you talk about that like that's a good thing. Aren't you union? Don't you stand in solidarity with those workers? Or are you a scab too?
45 year Teamster 2nd generation. It would show the working men and women of this country which side the RTW Republicans favor.