Religion and Faith. Are they the same or are they different?

satellitedriver

I'm sure the debate will continue.
Absolutely, as it should.
Discovery of ancient advanced stone building cultures that predate the Egyptian
epoch by 10,000 yrs is really rocking the boat in the academic world.
As to date,
Zoroaster is the first academically accepted/recorded/monotheist, and the fire he gazed upon when he had the revelation of only one God ,is still tended today never letting the camp fire to die out, which I find remarkable.
In my heart of hearts,-(with no proof)- I believe it is possible that civilizations advanced as we are today could have come and gone, in the grinding procession of time.

wkmac

In my heart of hearts,-(with no proof)- I believe it is possible that civilizations advanced as we are today could have come and gone, in the grinding procession of time.

You are by no means alone. I'm reading a book right now written by American Egyptologist John Anthony West, Serpent In The Sky, and West argues the pyramids at Giza and the Sphinx are over 30k years old. Radical theory granted if not seemingly impossible but what does standard history say of those pyramids? Built by Pharaoh Khufu in a 20 year span around 2650 BCE using 2.3 million blocks each weighing tons with a finish tolerance of 20 thousandths of an inch? Even greater, with this many blocks, to be completely in 20 years, this would require the laying of 12 blocks per hour, 24 hours per day, 7 days a week for 20 years to complete the project. I'm not sure we in our age would be capable of such a feat or if we could the cost and resource requirement would be so massive that no sane person dare undertake it.

My interest in Egypt goes back to Yahweh/Elohim sending Abraham and later Jacob to Egypt to be saved from famine while understanding that hunger or food can also be a metaphor for gaining knowledge or wisdom and were the OT writers saying something else. I do think the ideal of monotheism has more linkage to the worship of Aten, the single god of Amenhotep who changed his name to Akhanaten. As another side note, C.B. Demille in the movie The Ten Commandments had the character Nefretari played by Anne Baxter and in the movies, Nefretari and Moses had something going on. With the growing suggestions of Akhanaten and Moses being linked and that Akhanaten's Queen was named Nefretiti, where did Demille get the character name and was there more to the name than just the difference of "i" being made into an "a"? It's an interesting sidenote that for the moment seems to go nowhere as I can tell.

bbsam

Staff member
If there can be only one truth, is it possible for one mortal to fully know and comprehend the one truth and all its implications for mankind?

I agree with the answers given. But then one possibility is that different religions speak to different individuals on a plane of their own understanding to relay certain fundamental truths. Why anyone would fight and kill over such differences is beyond me, but I also think that may simply represent part of the truth that is not meant for me.

satellitedriver

but what does standard history say of those pyramids? Built by Pharaoh Khufu in a 20 year span around 2650 BCE
The only archeology evidence linking Khufu to the Great Pyramid at Giza is graffiti written in red-( not carved)- bearing his name on a stone inside the structure.
The Sphinx predates the pryamid's and is misaligned to the celestial alignment of the pyramid's by at about 14,000 yrs.
Once excavation of the body of the Sphinx was completed it showed severe water erosion.
This anomaly was quickly dismissed and ignored, since it did not meet the agreed upon timeline by the academic world and it has been carefully "restored"/preserved, by casing stone to bring it back to it's former glory.
The water erosion could have only occurred 20,000yrs before the accepted dates.
I am a :censored2:.
I just looked up John Anthony West and realized I was speaking from memory and you already knew this theory.
I will throw out another old memory.
A book I read about 40yrs ago, by an anthropologist that lived in Egypt among the local tribes, stated that the verbal legend was the Great pyramid was known as Adam's tomb.
Interesting, and thought provoking.

wkmac

Robert Schoch from Boston University has opened the door to water erosion of the Sphinx by applying geology and physics thanks to West. Henrik Palmgren of Red Ice Radio interviewed Schoch about a year ago and the first hour is open source but the 2nd is member only. No doubt it shakes up the status quo. One theory I've heard using the precession of the zodiac is that the Sphinx aligns with Leo in a pass era. The documentary "The Pyramid Code" puts forth a hypothesis that the Nile River was right next to the Pyramids of Giza when they were first built.

Robert Schoch - The Mystery of the Sphinx - YouTube