RTD Guy's let's hear how life is

Oldfart

Last I heard, there is a reduced payment option. A few of us the other day were trying to figure out what the retirement age is right now. We couldn’t agree on it. Someone was going to call Memphis. They constantly change things, so who knows?
No changes have been made to the pension plan in YEARS other than the annuity announced a month or so ago. Once again, you just don't have a clue about benefits. You can draw your tradional any year between 55 and 60. You lose 3% for any year you start before 60. 60 has always been the full pension.

Oldfart

Years alone determine the % of your salary they deposit. You just happen to be of a certain age when they do it. Edit: To be exact you have to have a certain amount of points to move up to the next percentage. Points are based on age plus years of service. To reach the highest category you have to have 75 points if I remember correctly. So a 50 year old with 25 years in gets the highest percentage contribution. And that's the terrible thing about the portable pension. To make it work for you you must start young and work a very long time.
You just verified my point with your EDIT

Csdsm18

Jesus is there anything to look forward to for us new hires when we retire lol? I was hoping I do my time and I have a nice lil pension built up guess it doesn't look that way.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Jesus is there anything to look forward to for us new hires when we retire lol? I was hoping I do my time and I have a nice lil pension built up guess it doesn't look that way.
No. It won’t be that way for y’all. If you're going to stay, you have to invest in 401ks and other investments for your retirement. The little you get in Portable Pension won’t be enough to live on when you’re retired.

Oldfart

I’m aware he didn’t mention age, Earl. Again your reading comprehension fails you. He asked if FedEx was like UPS where you work 35 and you’re out. I told him that it’s not based on years of service but age. You know, like 55 for reduced pension or 62 (I think) for full. If he is newer, that obviously doesn’t apply to him. However, I’m pretty sure you can’t draw a monthly payment with PP until you hit a certain age. I know you can draw the full amount if you quit, hence the term PORTABLE Pension. Thanks for playing...again, Earl.
LOL

Mercy, you are really lost now. The portable payout has nothing to do with age as far as drawing it as far as Fedex is concerned. You leave its yours. IRS rules then come into play. There is no reduced payment option. You are fully vested and the full amount is yours. I almost spit up my White Castle when I read your definition of PORTABLE.

Last edited:

Oldfart

A 6 figure Portable Pension and a 401k that offers some excellent and profitable options.

Oldfart

Any person who is not married and thinks the old Traditional Pension was so great is just not thinking. You die, the money goes nowheree. The Portable offers the opportunity to leave the remaining portion to your spouse, your children your neighbor or friends. We had a courier with terminal cancer. He was divorced and eventually went on disability. He knew when he passed away his Traditional would stop. Before he passed away he married a single mom that he had befriended. His Traditional pension carried on with her and his children got his Portable.

vantexan

On the plus side you'll reach top out in 9 years while many of us got strung along at low pay for 15 years or more. Be sure to at least get the match on your 401k, and as your pay goes up put more in. Over time you'll have a nice nest egg, and probably a good deal more than the portable pension. One of the plusses of the portable is you can take a lump sum. Pay off your bills and be debt free in retirement. Might as well settle in for the long haul. Or go get training in something that pays. Or get on with UPS if you believe in the long run they'll still have a generous pension in 30 years. Market forces make me doubt that.

Oldfart

No. It won’t be that way for y’all. If you're going to stay, you have to invest in 401ks and other investments for your retirement. The little you get in Portable Pension won’t be enough to live on when you’re retired.
Neither is the traditional. I had 25 years in the traditional and will get about $2000 a month, depending on how I take it. I can't live on 2k unless I want so sleep in a tent like Tex. I wasted several years after 25 in the Traditional because that was the max years. If I had 25 more years in my Portable, I imagine I would be sitting on 300k, maybe more. That is drawing 4% annually. Personally I would rather have 300k drawing 4% than getting $2000 a month.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Nope. Working my way thru all of the tracks. Think this will be #16 I have been to. I couldn't decide if I wanted to fly into NYC or Philly. It's not an easy place to get to. Any pointers?
The place is literally in the middle of nowhere. Right of I80. Really only one way in and out. Have fun!!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
LOL

Mercy, you are really lost now. The portable payout has nothing to do with age as far as drawing it as far as Fedex is concerned. You leave its yours. IRS rules then come into play. There is no reduced payment option. You are fully vested and the full amount is yours. I almost spit up my White Castle when I read your definition of PORTABLE.
And once again, your reading comprehension fails you. I clearly said that you can take your Portable Pension with you if you quit the company regardless of age. If one chooses to retire from FedEx and take a monthly payment, they have to be of a certain age.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Neither is the traditional. I had 25 years in the traditional and will get about $2000 a month, depending on how I take it. I can't live on 2k unless I want so sleep in a tent like Tex. I wasted several years after 25 in the Traditional because that was the max years. If I had 25 more years in my Portable, I imagine I would be sitting on 300k, maybe more. That is drawing 4% annually. Personally I would rather have 300k drawing 4% than getting $2000 a month.
Wuuuttt???? Are you saying you made a mistake? The hell you say, Earl.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Any person who is not married and thinks the old Traditional Pension was so great is just not thinking. You die, the money goes nowheree. The Portable offers the opportunity to leave the remaining portion to your spouse, your children your neighbor or friends. We had a courier with terminal cancer. He was divorced and eventually went on disability. He knew when he passed away his Traditional would stop. Before he passed away he married a single mom that he had befriended. His Traditional pension carried on with her and his children got his Portable.
Sounds like you admire him committing insurance fraud. SMH.

vantexan

Isn't 4% of $300k $12k annually or $1000 a month? How's that better than $2000 a month? At the rate of increase most couriers will never see $300k in their portable pension. Probably won't see $200k unless they move into management and stay until their late 60's.

vantexan

In a very nice room in Osh, Kyrgyzstan currently. Have excellent wifi, watch Dish satellite on my tablet, and Netflix. Costs $150 a month. Have a great cafeteria around corner where lunch costs between $3 and $4. A little further is an excellent Italian restaurant that also has great steaks. Great T-bone dinner runs about $8.50. And my wife is making me come home at the end of August.