Signing a warning ltr, what do you think?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Overboard during your last S&V where you instructed on anything about intersections? How about during an observation? Anything documented? If you answered yes to any of these questions now you know why you are getting the warning letter.

Its not hard to "find" 8-10 violations on a S&V, no one is perfect management included. Any supervisor worth anything can get 2 violations before they even leave the property.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
So are the shop stewards (teamsters) on this forum - asking management to turn a blind eye to safety and just let the guy go, oh the shame! So the next time the guy gets t-boned at a intersection who will you blame? MANAGEMENT period.

Safety is and should be of upmost importance always. Management has always set a level of tolerance and intolerance for at risk behaviors and for time allowance. It would seem that the ball has been moved. Again.

CRASH501

Every annual ride we have here sups are instructed to find 8 - 10 things wrong,regardless. So does that warrant a verbal warning? Or progression to written? The funny part is they`ll say "you didn`t do this,didn`t do that" yet when we swap seats and its my turn to point out errors suddenly my critic can`t drive their way out of a paper bag.

listen we had more than one onroad supervisor show up with a clipbpard with his anual observation report and say .....JUST SIGN HERE ! 1st occurance I ask what am i signing , His answer , oh its the space and visibility ride along I did with you today , I ASK , when HE ANSWERS , didnt i just ride with you for an hour " wink wink " .............................WOW TALK ABOUT INTEGRITY

raceanoncr

Its not hard to "find" 8-10 violations on a S&V, no one is perfect management included. Any supervisor worth anything can get 2 violations before they even leave the property.

OH? Not to be a smartass here, but I DO find it easy, but the last few annuals I've had, ten yrs or more, the supes have, to a man, said, "We can't find anything wrong here!!!! But we HAVE to find SOMETHING!!!". OK, I'll find something. How about I didn't use the clutch (feeders), I don't handle the wheel "ten and two" (or whatever it is now), you get the point? I had to tell them something to write down.

Comment?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Crash501 - did you sign it? If you did - shame on you? Your just as guilty as the supervisor. raceanoncr I give you the benifit of the doubt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dragon, please be honest--do you really think that a warning letter is justified in this case or do you think that a verbal warning with an unannounced followup OAO would suffice?

Bad Gas!

I would like to ride with these DM's that are all high and mighty...No on car ride will be perfect..Corrections can be made with positive advice...Your center must be highly targeted for serious bad numbers on safety..Furthermore, it won't stop until names are taken and idle threats are made...

I still think you should tell em that Stug said I don't have to sign nothing, so i won't!!

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Dragon, I know why because my management team as a quota of ORO and warning ltrs to do each week, I know this to be fact. The left,right,left was not a intersection, I was park, I pulled out into the road on a curve, My sup was behind me, I knew he was there, he said I didn't get a good enough look left when i pulled out, this was his reason for the at risk behavior, which is completely wrong. The Dm is making a mockery of the process, this is why I might write something on the warning ltr, its a complete joke, I don't care and I will get a good chuckle when I think about him reading it. What the worse that can happen?

I never been document for left,right,left, and I get ORO all the time for the simply fact that I'm close to the building, easy for my management team to find on a Friday when they need to meet their quota for the week. I didn’t receive a warning ltr today, they where busy with someone else, ask my sup where is my warning ltr and he said I will get it tomorrow. I cant wait.

bigblu 2 you

Overboard during your last S&V where you instructed on anything about intersections? How about during an observation? Anything documented? If you answered yes to any of these questions now you know why you are getting the warning letter.

i have come to the conclusion management would find fault in Christ. at least any sup worth anything would find 2 violations in him.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Today I was ORO by the mechanics supervisor, he pull up behind me, told me he is helping out the center manager and will be following me for the next 6 stops, after the 6 stops he said I did everything good, then we had a laugh about him having to go out and do ORO.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm due for 2 warning letters in the morning. The first one is for my yearly, CONDUCT UNBECOMING A UPS'er and the 2nd is for pick up compliance......oh, and there may be a 3rd one, for refusing to go into the office with the mechanic, acting as a shop steward. He said that one would be for insubordination.

The conduct unbecoming is because a consignee called in to say that I just leave the pkgs where they're supposed to go and turn around and let someone else sign the board. My reasoning is, she and I have had words before and as a way of avoiding conflict, I leave the pkgs and walk over to the business owner to get a signature. I sure they've investigated this thoroughly.

The pick up compliance is because I do many on area pick ups, though I will be more than happy, (after I receive said letter), to fix the pick up times and break off to be in compliance, since other than doing this it is an impossibility. I'll keep us updated with these events.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
.... I get ORO all the time for the simply fact that I'm close to the building, easy for my management team to find on a Friday when they need to meet their quota for the week. I didn’t receive a warning ltr today, they where busy with someone else, ask my sup where is my warning ltr and he said I will get it tomorrow. I cant wait.

Look at the bright side...at least you have the security of being able to show up, clock on, do your route and go home. Your work is real and tangible. There is a certain amount of dignity in being able to look back at what you have accomplished during your busy and productive day.

Your manager, on the other hand, must continually justify his miserable existence by meeting a quota of meaningless ORO's and trumped-up warning letters that arent worth the paper they are written on. Its a pretty pathetic way to make a living if you really think about it.

Instead of getting angry at your supervisor, you should instead choose to feel sorry for him. It will change your whole outlook.

705red

Browncafe Steward
There is no bonus system here, but I do take my lunch, this is happening to everyone with under 20 yrs seniority at my center, 22 warning ltrs issue in the last two weeks, I don’t blame my sup he is only working as direct by the a---hole DM, Who as instructed the sups to issue all these warning ltrs. I cant wait until April 5 I hope send him to Antarctica, he as a serious napoleon syndrome.
Why wait to April? I know we have had this discussion in the past in another thread, but I would hammer the piss out of the center with grievances. The only way to fight back is to stand up for yourselves.

Sups working, make sure everyone requests their two 8 hours per month, file 9.5s, keep everyone of the dock if they are not on the clock etc. Fight fire with fire! But within the contract.

For every action there is a reaction.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I'm due for 2 warning letters in the morning. The first one is for my yearly, CONDUCT UNBECOMING A UPS'er and the 2nd is for pick up compliance......oh, and there may be a 3rd one, for refusing to go into the office with the mechanic, acting as a shop steward. He said that one would be for insubordination.

The conduct unbecoming is because a consignee called in to say that I just leave the pkgs where they're supposed to go and turn around and let someone else sign the board. My reasoning is, she and I have had words before and as a way of avoiding conflict, I leave the pkgs and walk over to the business owner to get a signature. I sure they've investigated this thoroughly.

The pick up compliance is because I do many on area pick ups, though I will be more than happy, (after I receive said letter), to fix the pick up times and break off to be in compliance, since other than doing this it is an impossibility. I'll keep us updated with these events.

So STUG, you still got a job?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So STUG, you still got a job?
Yup. The pickup compliance thing was some paper, not a WL, just to get my attention to the fact that there's a numbers game for everything. The customer concern WL should be retracted, as my normal shop steward hammered away at the point that there was no investigation into said incident. Supe went with me to the stop yesterday and smoothed things over, for the time being. Turns out that the cust just wanted to feel important and wants to sign for the pkgs.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yup. The pickup compliance thing was some paper, not a WL, just to get my attention to the fact that there's a numbers game for everything. The customer concern WL should be retracted, as my normal shop steward hammered away at the point that there was no investigation into said incident. Supe went with me to the stop yesterday and smoothed things over, for the time being. Turns out that the cust just wanted to feel important and wants to sign for the pkgs.

Good deal, sounds like you got a good steward!!

ozzey

I would sign it. It really does not make any difference. It just says that you read it. ups managenent does not know how to treat people. They believe in management by harrasment of their employees. Management by being negative and angry. They have succeeded in stressing you out .How does it feel ? :sick:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
warning letters are the result of a serious communication defect, usually by management. not always, but usually.

dont sign anything but the back of your paycheck, unless instructed by the steward.

as for warning letters, you said you were going to get, you have yet to post( or maybe i overlooked your posting you actually got the wl)that you got your warning letter. there is no action you can take, until you actually get the paperwork. then, you file a letter of protest, as a warning letter in our area is not a grievable issue. file the letter of protest with the union, and mail a copy with receipt, costs about 45 cents. gives you a receipt showing you mailed it, and it is a legal document when it comes to proving you did.

oro are to be used as a learning tool, but some managers abuse it, and use it as intimidation tool to make them feel they are in control.

thats unfortunate

d