Slow Peak

Grey

Only friday’s have been really bad around here. I’d imagine they pick and choose who to pummel based on Saturday hours.

DOK

Nope.

This is what happened.

Shippers moved their volume due to the looming possibility of a strike since the initial contract was turned down by the members.

And UPS freight stopping pickups did not help. Some customers were really confused, not knowing it is actually a separate division from small package.
The problem with that theory is wherever it does go they will be blown out and unable to handle it, but if they do....UPS is done as we know it today.

The post office delivers a hell of a lot of packages, I would say easily more packages than I on a daily basis on my area, I had no idea.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The writing is on the wall--you are all friend'ed.

Not really.

The problem is that they hired temps based on volume projections that never materialized.

We still have good volume, just down for this peak, and I still believe it had to do with our contract rumors from the media and shippers diverting volume to the competition being ready if UPS had a work stoppage.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Not really.

The problem is that they hired temps based on volume projections that never materialized.

We still have good volume, just down for this peak, and I still believe it had to do with our contract rumors from the media and shippers diverting volume to the competition being ready if UPS had a work stoppage.
Yeah, I think people are overreacting. In our building the week after Black Friday was incredibly rough, we beat our peak day from last year 2 days in a row that week.
Last 2 weeks with the exception of one day, I've been done with my route by 530-6 and am back by 8 after taking 20 stops from my neighbor. Daily routine. Been right at 50ish hours per week since Thanksgiving.
It's obvious that we're lighter than they thought. But not by THAT much. UPS isn't going to take our pensions away because we're having a "bad" peak.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have a theory that on-line retailers have learned to spread out their sales so their customers will actually get their purchases when promised. A bit of a stretch, I know...

The really important question is, will our stock convert directly to amazon shares?

DOK

The writing is on the wall--you are all friend'ed.

Not really.

I believe the volume is also spread out among other carriers like never before, including amazon delivering much of their own. Amazon being as big as they are is a concern, hope I’m out of here before the take over.

iruhnman630

The post office delivers a hell of a lot of packages, I would say easily more packages than I on a daily basis on my area, I had no idea.
They are delivering a lot of the Target and Kohls packages we were delivering last year.

I believe those 2 shippers account for most of the loss from last year.

Just keep hiking the cost of a stamp, so the government can continue to undercut our rates to ship a box.

Siveriano

Work is here. for example lets say my route is usually 170 with 40 blocks. im currently doing 190 on 25 blocks only. so the volume is here.