Starting over!

Future

Victory Ride
reapply at the BOG, ask upstateny for a reference!
IMG_3628.JPG

Snack

The more threads I see like this the more I wonder if this is even worth it. I hope the money is good.

I dont think a lot of these guys realize how good they have it. I know the job is difficult, but the compensation and benefits are more than worth it. There are 1000's of happy drivers out there, but it's the disgruntled few that are motivated to post on a message board.

rod

Retired 22 years
I dont think a lot of these guys realize how good they have it. I know the job is difficult, but the compensation and benefits are more than worth it. There are 1000's of happy drivers out there, but it's the disgruntled few that are motivated to post on a message board.

"Happy" might be a stretch. "Able to cope" might be closer.

Dhydratd

I can't name even 1 "happy driver" in my center right now!!
"Trapped" would be my choice of words. Too many years invested, too many debts, and no marketable skills that could transfer to another job. This is the common thread among most of the drivers I come in contact with. I have over 25 full time years invested. The only way I'm leaving early is if my old body finally gives out. The new drivers being hired these days will never make it to 30 years if UPS continues on this way. Maybe that's their plan?

rod

Retired 22 years
I can't name even 1 "happy driver" in my center right now!!
"Trapped" would be my choice of words. Too many years invested, too many debts, and no marketable skills that could transfer to another job. This is the common thread among most of the drivers I come in contact with. I have over 25 full time years invested. The only way I'm leaving early is if my old body finally gives out. The new drivers being hired these days will never make it to 30 years if UPS continues on this way. Maybe that's their plan?

I only knew one "happy" driver in all my time at UPS and they hauled him away to detox one afternoon after they found him on route with nothing delivered all day. They took him to the hospital for blood tests where he broke away and ran 2 miles back to the UPS building to get his pickup truck. He never returned. He got a divorce and died at 45 from alcohol poisoning.

Dhydratd

I was happy with my job before the stock went public and corporate got downright greedy. It was a great job back then. Difficult, but rewarding. Hardly anyone was allowed over 9.5 except at peak season. Drivers were, at least, somewhat able to balance their work and family life. I was able to get chores done during the week which left me time for projects on the weekends. Not anymore! my house is slowly falling apart and I have no time to do what needs to be done.

Box Ox

no marketable skills that could transfer to another job.

This is my biggest concern. Making very good money and then having nothing that pays nearly as well to laterally move into if something happens with UPS.

I'm listening to what people who have been around a lot longer and know a lot more than I do are saying. About their experiences, and what they think about the future. Hasn't been promising.

But I've found that low/no cost online resources to retrain for a STEM (science/tech/math) career in one's free time are available just in case. And companies who need lots more of those folks are really starting to embrace the retraining model. Willing to hire anyone who can wrap their heads around the work. And pay pretty well for it.

Most of the folks who take the initiative to come and exchange thoughts and ideas here on BC would probably do just fine.