Stupid arguments about the Ground business model

It will be fine

I don't have time right now to list in detail the events that were flat out wrong. Furthermore , that company's business practices were so corrupt that the hammer of law had to be dropped on it and forced to clean it up. And what little they did was the absolute minimum and done so in a way that that avoided having to give up meaningful control That tells you everything and there's nothing you can do or say to change that fact nor can you minimize the significance of it.

In the coming months I expect to see congressional hearings held at least at the subcommittee level that will be focused on the question of what exactly is a true independent contractor and how much freedom and autonomy must be granted to a party that operates under the "independent contractor" classification. No question that the one customer stranglehold Fat Freddy has at Ground over his sharecropping "entrepreneurs" will be front and center.
No it won’t. It’s the lease under motor carrier authority that limits the customer to Ground while under dispatch. That is a standard practice in transportation. A large percentage of all trucking is done by independent owner operators that lease under the DOT number of larger companies. When you do that you can’t run freight for someone else while operating under their authority.

bacha29

No it won’t. It’s the lease under motor carrier authority that limits the customer to Ground while under dispatch. That is a standard practice in transportation. A large percentage of all trucking is done by independent owner operators that lease under the DOT number of larger companies. When you do that you can’t run freight for someone else while operating under their authority.
But, can your so called company in and of itself under it's own corporate banner say IWBF Inc. haul for another carrier using your own trucks and drivers.....Trucks and drivers that are insured by Fat Freddy?

It will be fine

But, can your so called company in and of itself under it's own corporate banner say IWBF Inc. haul for another carrier using your own trucks and drivers.....Trucks and drivers that are insured by Fat Freddy?
My equipment is only insured by Ground when they operate under dispatch. I can use my equipment for anything else but they are covered under my insurance when I do.

bacha29

My equipment is only insured by Ground when they operate under dispatch. I can use my equipment for anything else but they are covered under my insurance when I do.
Good to see that you're reaping the benefits of the efforts made to force that company to grant goodwill and proprietary rights. None of that would exist today if not for the need to go so far as to sue them to finally get them relent. Unfortunately, one fact still remains. There's not a damn thing you do while operating under Fat Freddy's brand and number that is NOT subject to the command and oversight of Fat Freddy. I remain convinced that the model will be subject to much closer congressional review in the days ahead now that both houses and the White House are under Democrat control . Face it. even to this day there is still no meaningful right of refusal and that so called "contract" they can revise and rewrite it at any time and in any manner they chose without the threat of any individual or organized contractor opposition.

oldrps

I don't have time right now to list in detail the events that were flat out wrong. Furthermore , that company's business practices were so corrupt that the hammer of law had to be dropped on it and forced to clean it up. And what little they did was the absolute minimum and done so in a way that that avoided having to give up meaningful control That tells you everything and there's nothing you can do or say to change that fact nor can you minimize the significance of it.

In the coming months I expect to see congressional hearings held at least at the subcommittee level that will be focused on the question of what exactly is a true independent contractor and how much freedom and autonomy must be granted to a party that operates under the "independent contractor" classification. No question that the one customer stranglehold Fat Freddy has at Ground over his sharecropping "entrepreneurs" will be front and center.
Why won't you answer any questions I have? Don't have time, but you can keep replying to many posts on this board.

"And what little they did was the absolute minimum and done so in a way that that avoided having to give up meaningful control That tells you everything and there's nothing you can do or say to change that fact nor can you minimize the significance of it."
  • Of course they did the minimum, what says they should do more?
  • This statement does not tell my "everything", it say zero. Where are the details, what control did they put on you that was beyond the agreement?
So you want to complain about the way you were treated badly and how they did not follow the agreement, but give no details. Are you afraid that if you do, you will find out they held up their end of the agreement? If you can't provide details, it didn't happen. You can't say say they broke the agreement, without proof. Please make it clear to me and everyone on this board that has to hear your constant complaining, what exactly they did do wrong. If it is legitimate, then people might be more understanding of what "happened" to you.

Either give details or shut up!

oldrps

But, can your so called company in and of itself under it's own corporate banner say IWBF Inc. haul for another carrier using your own trucks and drivers.....Trucks and drivers that are insured by Fat Fred
Good to see that you're reaping the benefits of the efforts made to force that company to grant goodwill and proprietary rights. None of that would exist today if not for the need to go so far as to sue them to finally get them relent. Unfortunately, one fact still remains. There's not a damn thing you do while operating under Fat Freddy's brand and number that is NOT subject to the command and oversight of Fat Freddy. I remain convinced that the model will be subject to much closer congressional review in the days ahead now that both houses and the White House are under Democrat control . Face it. even to this day there is still no meaningful right of refusal and that so called "contract" they can revise and rewrite it at any time and in any manner they chose without the threat of any individual or organized contractor

Good to see that you're reaping the benefits of the efforts made to force that company to grant goodwill and proprietary rights. None of that would exist today if not for the need to go so far as to sue them to finally get them relent. Unfortunately, one fact still remains. There's not a damn thing you do while operating under Fat Freddy's brand and number that is NOT subject to the command and oversight of Fat Freddy. I remain convinced that the model will be subject to much closer congressional review in the days ahead now that both houses and the White House are under Democrat control . Face it. even to this day there is still no meaningful right of refusal and that so called "contract" they can revise and rewrite it at any time and in any manner they chose without the threat of any individual or organized contractor opposition.
@bacha29 Why do you care anymore what the current providers are doing? What are you trying to achieve from these comments?

You have a current provider who tells you what he is doing and how the relationship with FedEx is which is counter to what you believe. I don't think this provider has a problem with their "command and oversight". When they say it isn't the way you are saying, you pivot about the past. Do you remember how long ago the changes were made regarding goodwill? I think it was either 1993 or 1995. RPS wasn't nationwide yet, was delivering less than a million package per day and FedEx was not part of the picture. I don't think a current provider cares what happened over 25 years ago, it doesn't apply to them. You really need to let this go and move on with life.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
@bacha29 Why do you care anymore what the current providers are doing? What are you trying to achieve from these comments?

You have a current provider who tells you what he is doing and how the relationship with FedEx is which is counter to what you believe. I don't think this provider has a problem with their "command and oversight". When they say it isn't the way you are saying, you pivot about the past. Do you remember how long ago the changes were made regarding goodwill? I think it was either 1993 or 1995. RPS wasn't nationwide yet, was delivering less than a million package per day and FedEx was not part of the picture. I don't think a current provider cares what happened over 25 years ago, it doesn't apply to them. You really need to let this go and move on with life.
Bacha fears irrelevancy.

Too late.

dmac1

The reason for the discussion is that there is still a legal question of whether the current agreement meets the legal definitions of independent contractor status under state and federal law. It doesn't matter if current contractors 'feel' happy with all the control. Bacha and myself just point out that 'feelings' are not the issue. My opinion is that the contract at best creates a franchise or possible co-employer' condition and Fedex has simply made changes the reduce their risk of ever being challenged do to the massive expense and massive financial advantage fedex has, and the massive cost any 'contractor' would have in fighting. The government won't bother enforcing the law as long as they collect the tax revenue. I don't think there is much chance of change, but the minute fedex thinks it can save a tenth of a penny, they CAN unilaterally cancel all the contracts, so buying a 'business' that can be immediately cancelled may not be a wise investment. If you got your routes for free, and have almost nothing invested, and can make a living by underpaying others, and are comfortable with it, go for it.

bacha29

The reason for the discussion is that there is still a legal question of whether the current agreement meets the legal definitions of independent contractor status under state and federal law. It doesn't matter if current contractors 'feel' happy with all the control. Bacha and myself just point out that 'feelings' are not the issue. My opinion is that the contract at best creates a franchise or possible co-employer' condition and Fedex has simply made changes the reduce their risk of ever being challenged do to the massive expense and massive financial advantage fedex has, and the massive cost any 'contractor' would have in fighting. The government won't bother enforcing the law as long as they collect the tax revenue. I don't think there is much chance of change, but the minute fedex thinks it can save a tenth of a penny, they CAN unilaterally cancel all the contracts, so buying a 'business' that can be immediately cancelled may not be a wise investment. If you got your routes for free, and have almost nothing invested, and can make a living by underpaying others, and are comfortable with it, go for it.
Couldn't have said it better myself. When volume allowed for an additional route. I and my 2 other Day 1 contractors where offered the route completely free of charge. We turned it and all others down and let whoever came in off the street and wanted it to take it. However, we made it clear to them that nothing in that worthless piece of paper they were signing as totally one side as it was, was binding upon Ground and prepare to be lied to....a lot. We did everything we could to help them but none of them lasted long. I asked them why they were leaving and it was the same answer.... " I was lied to". Same old thing. The areas they were assigned to were not the areas they were told they would be assigned. The workday they were told would be 8 hours long ended up 12 hours. The money they were told they would make was in fact the money they made. Only problem was what they were told they would make was what they would GROSS not what their pretax net would be.

And yes the subtle changes that were made over the years were not undertaken voluntarily and were for the most part changed little as far as a true lessening of command and control. The control has actually increased due to being required to get to a higher scale which in turn requires placing even more unsecured money at risk. All you have for certain are a bunch of panel vans and cutaways for which there is little to no alternative uses. Not like leasing on road tractors for which there is a multitude of carriers to haul for. Not so for local P&D's . The result of which is that they are trapped in one market and one customer. And they're only hope is that somebody will come in and get them out from under the trappings they found themselves in.

Won't happen immediately but eventually as more public attention is drawn to the matter the more likely the matter will come under congressional review. That's why I tell every contractor....." Don't stay too long or there might not be a chair for you when the music stops.

dmac1

Couldn't have said it better myself. When volume allowed for an additional route. I and my 2 other Day 1 contractors where offered the route completely free of charge. We turned it and all others down and let whoever came in off the street and wanted it to take it. However, we made it clear to them that nothing in that worthless piece of paper they were signing as totally one side as it was, was binding upon Ground and prepare to be lied to....a lot. We did everything we could to help them but none of them lasted long. I asked them why they were leaving and it was the same answer.... " I was lied to". Same old thing. The areas they were assigned to were not the areas they were told they would be assigned. The workday they were told would be 8 hours long ended up 12 hours. The money they were told they would make was in fact the money they made. Only problem was what they were told they would make was what they would GROSS not what their pretax net would be.

And yes the subtle changes that were made over the years were not undertaken voluntarily and were for the most part changed little as far as a true lessening of command and control. The control has actually increased due to being required to get to a higher scale which in turn requires placing even more unsecured money at risk. All you have for certain are a bunch of panel vans and cutaways for which there is little to no alternative uses. Not like leasing on road tractors for which there is a multitude of carriers to haul for. Not so for local P&D's . The result of which is that they are trapped in one market and one customer. And they're only hope is that somebody will come in and get them out from under the trappings they found themselves in.

Won't happen immediately but eventually as more public attention is drawn to the matter the more likely the matter will come under congressional review. That's why I tell every contractor....." Don't stay too long or there might not be a chair for you when the music stops.
I was told that I was contracting for one zip code, and could set me own hours with the start of HD. The contract I signed had one zip code. Then they claimed that a single zip code was not allowing them to make 'full use' of the vehicle, and they could fill it wath as much as they wanted. One manager even went so far as to tall me that 'your service area is defined by what is on your manifest when I found packages as far as 50 miles out of my way that wouldn't fint in that contractor's truck. Then there was the 'unlimited' growth potential promised when I wanted to hire another driver in the first month and was flatly deniedwith the excuse that no contractor could have secondary routes until the terminal was serving the entire projected service area. I had wanted to get in early just for the purpose of getting in on the ground floor when more growth in service area was actually occurring. Yes, fedex lies and actually has a whole set of policies not listed in the contract that affect how they apply the contract.

oldrps

The reason for the discussion is that there is still a legal question of whether the current agreement meets the legal definitions of independent contractor status under state and federal law.

I can't answer the legal questions, I am not a lawyer. When one brings up on a discussion board that RPS/FedEx did not follow the agreement, all I ask is to give examples. None are provided. Coming on the board and spouting it was the worst thing ever, they lied to me, did me wrong, but I stayed over 20 years. I question what happened, but I get no answers. I can't say that Bacha29's experience was right or wrong since he gives no examples.

I don't think there is much chance of change, but the minute fedex thinks it can save a tenth of a penny, they CAN unilaterally cancel all the contracts, so buying a 'business' that can be immediately cancelled may not be a wise investment.

The only changes that could be made, while I was there, was to the addendum, not the main agreement. I don't know if Ground could cancel all of the contracts at one time unless they went out of business or a major change of operations. Has this ever happened?

If you got your routes for free, and have almost nothing invested, and can make a living by underpaying others, and are comfortable with it, go for it.

All business owner would love to get in for nothing. I can't figure out why Bacha29 and now you feel that you can start a business with nothing invested. Of course, if you can, that is great.

I dealt with over 80 different contractors during my time at RPS/Ground and so many of them signed the agreement thinking they would be managed as an employee and were confused when we didn't. They would say if they had known all of this, they would not have signed the agreement. They couldn't understand that the government will want their taxes paid, maintain their van, have plans when they were off, etc. They couldn't understand that I didn't care how they ran their route or what time they came in, the main concern was to deliver and pickup all of the packages. When someone says they "bought their job", this, in my experience, is someone who should have not signed the agreement. It took me several years to get to be a manager and that was the first thing I changed where I was at. I would go over the whole agreement and discuss it with a potential contractor so there was no "surprises" later. I doubt all locations did this. The biggest problem is that many contractors did not read or ask enough questions before they signed the agreement.

It will be fine

The reason for the discussion is that there is still a legal question of whether the current agreement meets the legal definitions of independent contractor status under state and federal law.

I can't answer the legal questions, I am not a lawyer. When one brings up on a discussion board that RPS/FedEx did not follow the agreement, all I ask is to give examples. None are provided. Coming on the board and spouting it was the worst thing ever, they lied to me, did me wrong, but I stayed over 20 years. I question what happened, but I get no answers. I can't say that Bacha29's experience was right or wrong since he gives no examples.

I don't think there is much chance of change, but the minute fedex thinks it can save a tenth of a penny, they CAN unilaterally cancel all the contracts, so buying a 'business' that can be immediately cancelled may not be a wise investment.

The only changes that could be made, while I was there, was to the addendum, not the main agreement. I don't know if Ground could cancel all of the contracts at one time unless they went out of business or a major change of operations. Has this ever happened?

If you got your routes for free, and have almost nothing invested, and can make a living by underpaying others, and are comfortable with it, go for it.

All business owner would love to get in for nothing. I can't figure out why Bacha29 and now you feel that you can start a business with nothing invested. Of course, if you can, that is great.

I dealt with over 80 different contractors during my time at RPS/Ground and so many of them signed the agreement thinking they would be managed as an employee and were confused when we didn't. They would say if they had known all of this, they would not have signed the agreement. They couldn't understand that the government will want their taxes paid, maintain their van, have plans when they were off, etc. They couldn't understand that I didn't care how they ran their route or what time they came in, the main concern was to deliver and pickup all of the packages. When someone says they "bought their job", this, in my experience, is someone who should have not signed the agreement. It took me several years to get to be a manager and that was the first thing I changed where I was at. I would go over the whole agreement and discuss it with a potential contractor so there was no "surprises" later. I doubt all locations did this. The biggest problem is that many contractors did not read or ask enough questions before they signed the agreement.
The first contract I signed the terminal manager was shocked I actually read the whole thing. I couldn’t believe people signed it without doing so.

oldrps

However, we made it clear to them that nothing in that worthless piece of paper they were signing as totally one side as it was, was binding upon Ground and prepare to be lied to....a lot. We did everything we could to help them but none of them lasted long. I asked them why they were leaving and it was the same answer.... " I was lied to".

What were the lies, please explain it to everyone so we all understand.

The areas they were assigned to were not the areas they were told they would be assigned. The workday they were told would be 8 hours long ended up 12 hours.

As long as I was at RPS, areas were always defined in the agreement, was this before the changes in the early 90's?

The money they were told they would make was in fact the money they made. Only problem was what they were told they would make was what they would GROSS not what their pretax net would be.

Am I not understanding this statement, they told you how much you would make, but you did not know that businesses have to pay taxes? How could RPS/Ground or anyone possibly know what you would net be, that is impossible.

What do you mean "unsecured money"? What is secured money? Please explain this for others who may not know, don't assume everyone knows these statements who read these boards.

Why did you keep signing the agreement knowing what you knew, what kept you there? I could understand if you signed the agreement and it wasn't what you thought and left after a few years, but didn't you do it for 20 years or so.

I do agree that potential contractors need to be educated before they sign. Give details instead of vague comments. Remember that what happened 10 - 20 years ago may not apply to the agreement they sign today and let them know that when you comment on the board that this happened many years ago, but things have changed and may no longer apply.

bacha29

When we started we were told that the work day would be 10 hours and reduced to 8 in 1-2 months Five years later we were still doing 12 and them some. We went in at 5:30 AM and nobody got bask before 9PM. When mid management found out about it who did terminal blame it on ? Blamed it on us. Why were we out there all day and half the night? They forgot the RD carrier miles that went with the zip code. One of 34 zip codes stretched across 4 rural counties that I ended up with that included more than 3400 miles of RD carrier miles. That's what I had to cover in one day. We ran everyday no days off. In fact I couldn't even get to my own father's funeral because terminal would do nothing to make arrangements so I could get away. Anybody calls in a bitch due to the fact that there was no arbitration process you were automatically guilty. Complaints of speeding? My response? " What speed detection instrument was the complainant using? How fast did it say I was going? Who calibrated that instrument and who certified it's results? Didn't matter to management. And safety? After listening to an hour lecture on safety I spoke up and said " Sir let me remind you of something. You're company divested itself of every workplace health as safety liability as it pertained to we the people who are out there doing your dirty work . Why are you here barking at us like a junk yard dog about safety? ..silence. And here's one for you. a few years after being ordered to file articles of PRIVATELY held Subchapter S corporation I was ordered to turn over to corporate for "their audit and review" my S-Corps private operational records much of which are passed through to 1040 despite the fact that they are privileged information protected un der US privacy laws. LET"S SEE YOU SQUARE THAT ONE! And BTW after somebody called in a bitch I had to undergo company sensitivity training in exchange for a "get out of jail free card" despite the fact I WASN"T WEVEN THEIR friend#!*ING EMPLOYEE! What do you have to say about that?

I could go on but it all comes down to one simple fact. There's not a single term in that unilaterally drafted implemented document that's binding on that company . Why's that? Can you identify for me the governing legal authority with the power to make that document binding on RPS/FXG? And do even think about trying to smooth talk it over with apathy and indifference. it will not work.
You're better off saying nothing.

falcon back

When we started we were told that the work day would be 10 hours and reduced to 8 in 1-2 months Five years later we were still doing 12 and them some. We went in at 5:30 AM and nobody got bask before 9PM. When mid management found out about it who did terminal blame it on ? Blamed it on us. Why were we out there all day and half the night? They forgot the RD carrier miles that went with the zip code. One of 34 zip codes stretched across 4 rural counties that I ended up with that included more than 3400 miles of RD carrier miles. That's what I had to cover in one day. We ran everyday no days off. In fact I couldn't even get to my own father's funeral because terminal would do nothing to make arrangements so I could get away. Anybody calls in a bitch due to the fact that there was no arbitration process you were automatically guilty. Complaints of speeding? My response? " What speed detection instrument was the complainant using? How fast did it say I was going? Who calibrated that instrument and who certified it's results? Didn't matter to management. And safety? After listening to an hour lecture on safety I spoke up and said " Sir let me remind you of something. You're company divested itself of every workplace health as safety liability as it pertained to we the people who are out there doing your dirty work . Why are you here barking at us like a junk yard dog about safety? ..silence. And here's one for you. a few years after being ordered to file articles of PRIVATELY held Subchapter S corporation I was ordered to turn over to corporate for "their audit and review" my S-Corps private operational records much of which are passed through to 1040 despite the fact that they are privileged information protected un der US privacy laws. LET"S SEE YOU SQUARE THAT ONE! And BTW after somebody called in a bitch I had to undergo company sensitivity training in exchange for a "get out of jail free card" despite the fact I WASN"T WEVEN THEIR friend#!*ING EMPLOYEE! What do you have to say about that?

I could go on but it all comes down to one simple fact. There's not a single term in that unilaterally drafted implemented document that's binding on that company . Why's that? Can you identify for me the governing legal authority with the power to make that document binding on RPS/FXG? And do even think about trying to smooth talk it over with apathy and indifference. it will not work.
You're better off saying nothing.
Cry me a river you babbling baby