Surepost and the next contract

barnyard

KTM rider
The proximity thing is something that I would think UPS would be smart to figure out. I have delivered sure post packages to the PO that I could have delivered without moving my truck while delivering a neighbor's package.

One would think that it would be cheaper to just load it in a truck vs sorting it to the PO rack, get it to the correct slot, scan it, bag it, tag the bag and get the bag to the correct truck.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The union needs to define "nearby" in the next contract. I caught that obvious loophole about 3 seconds after i read it. Why didnt the negotiators? No use having any language at all if we can't enforce it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Surepost has certainly been abused by some of the oversize packages I have seen slip through the system. I think I saw some DIAD Training recently or something like that that addressed the oversize and overweight issues. I think the weight limit is supposed to be 11 pounds and under, I can't remember the exact size limits. Not much bigger than a smalls package though.

barnyard

KTM rider
3 cubic feet is the size limit and I thought the training quoted 8 pounds as the weight limit. We have 3 people sorting sure post in the morning and they catch a lot of them.

From what I have seen, Target is the biggest offender.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Sure post is a sore subject out here in the west, that's for sure. The Union as usual dropped and continues to drop the ball on this issue. For obvious reasons we all understand the need for staying competitive but that doesn't mean the union needs to fall asleep at the wheel.

Along with all of the blatant abuses of the Surepost agreement, now the post office is requiring are drivers to segregate all packages according to their Zip Codes. So now drivers are spending roughly 30 minutes a day separating the boxes and the small a in the bags into those big bins on wheels.

We tried getting our BA involved and seemed like he could care less. Showed pictures of boxes that violate the dimensions and weight along with packages that are going to business stops.

You know as much grief that we give UPS, I want to know WTF is the union doing? Considering the importance of UPS to the teamsters, no one should be trying to drum up more work for UPS, than the damn union.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just curious on what you guys and gals think the union should ask for regarding surepost in the next contract . I know we need to have this service but as everyone on here knows( including the union) ups is abusing the program big time... Just curious is you have any ideas??
I want specific language on close proximity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sure post is a sore subject out here in the west, that's for sure. The Union as usual dropped and continues to drop the ball on this issue. For obvious reasons we all understand the need for staying competitive but that doesn't mean the union needs to fall asleep at the wheel.

Along with all of the blatant abuses of the Surepost agreement, now the post office is requiring are drivers to segregate all packages according to their Zip Codes. So now drivers are spending roughly 30 minutes a day separating the boxes and the small a in the bags into those big bins on wheels.

We tried getting our BA involved and seemed like he could care less. Showed pictures of boxes that violate the dimensions and weight along with packages that are going to business stops.

You know as much grief that we give UPS, I want to know WTF is the union doing? Considering the importance of UPS to the teamsters, no one should be trying to drum up more work for UPS, than the damn union.

Sorting packages by zip code? Yeah, I don't think so.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Sorting packages by zip code? Yeah, I don't think so.
I'm not kidding. Our division head got involved and discovered that it's in the agreement that UPS has with the Post Office. It's a joke. The response our BA gave was that's because their union is week. We looked at him and said well what's ours then?

barnyard

KTM rider
now the post office is requiring are drivers to segregate all packages according to their Zip Codes.

We only deliver to 1 PO where that would be an issue. I believe that my center delivers to 9 PO's. The driver that delivers to the multi zip PO would have a stroke if she had to sort the 40-50 bags of sure post a day that that PO gets.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Lmao my center manager would call that post master and tell them to go :censored2: themselves.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We only deliver to 1 PO where that would be an issue. I believe that my center delivers to 9 PO's. The driver that delivers to the multi zip PO would have a stroke if she had to sort the 40-50 bags of sure post a day that that PO gets.
I'm in the Bay Area so you could only imagine how many zip codes and P. O. we have. Trust me the first day they implemented it at the first post office the driver said no and so the post office refused the delivery. Brought 175 back to the building. That's only one P.O. Also they won't take bags either since we can't guarantee that there's only one zip in them.

oldngray

nowhere special

We deliver to post offices with multiple zip codes and also post office annexes where more than one office services the same zip code. In all cases what is in the bags are the Post Offices problem and the post office will shuttle packages around to the correct post office themselves.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yeah that sounds like one of our post offices that demanded that we deliver before the postal carriers left out. That didn't last long.

We have a couple of PO's that demand we wait till after their drivers have left. They say they cannot get their stuff out the door when we are rolling our stuff in.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Reddit is pretty boring this morning.....guess I'll come back the first world problems we have at big brown.

Reminds me,should I get the 6S or the 6+S IPhone?

The first world challenges we face.