Switching to UPS Freight, I am crazy or smart?

Shaggysp

In a few weeks I will be leaving a rival company and coming on board with UPS Freight. At the other company in which I was with for only 8 months my gross was around 1300 dollars a week. Over the next 2 and a half years I would of been making around 1500 dollars. It was/is a pretty easy gig with me averaging around 10 hours of work each night for 5 night. basically 400 miles a night and 4-8 break and hooks of doubles. I understand I will be taking a pretty big dip in pay the first few years but I feel it will be worth it long term. I am 40 years old and looking to put my 25 years in walk into the sunset.
My old company is trying to get my to stay and they are having me work the full length of my two week notice and I plan on doing that because I don't like to burn bridges. I would like to have some opinion from people who work at ups freight and this seems to be the best site for this. Thank you for any input, even the bull:censored2:ters. thanks

35years

Gravy route
Or work for UPS in feeders.
Make around $2,000 a week at 50 hrs a week (more pulling doubles).
Better protections, benifits etc.

Shaggysp

Isn't Feeders on the parcel side and I heard it is next to impossible to get in. Even if you do get in you get the cold shoulder from workers who worked their way up the ups food chain?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Isn't Feeders on the parcel side and I heard it is next to impossible to get in. Even if you do get in you get the cold shoulder from workers who worked their way up the ups food chain?

There are more areas being forced to hire off the street to fill openings.

Are you there to work or to make friends?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

In a few weeks I will be leaving a rival company and coming on board with UPS Freight. At the other company in which I was with for only 8 months my gross was around 1300 dollars a week. Over the next 2 and a half years I would of been making around 1500 dollars. It was/is a pretty easy gig with me averaging around 10 hours of work each night for 5 night. basically 400 miles a night and 4-8 break and hooks of doubles. I understand I will be taking a pretty big dip in pay the first few years but I feel it will be worth it long term. I am 40 years old and looking to put my 25 years in walk into the sunset.
My old company is trying to get my to stay and they are having me work the full length of my two week notice and I plan on doing that because I don't like to burn bridges. I would like to have some opinion from people who work at ups freight and this seems to be the best site for this. Thank you for any input, even the bull:censored2:ters. thanks
Working for anyone with ups in the title sucks

35years

Gravy route
We have been hiring many off the street in the last few years. Shortage of CDL drivers out there. No one cares if you worked at UPS before working in feeders especially if you are not a brown noser and learn the contract after you have made seniority.

Working in feeders is an entirely different animal than package. Managers don't try the same crap with feeder drivers.

Shaggysp

I hear what you are saying about the feeder position, but there hasn't been one of those positions open up in this area in a while. PLus I like the freight/ltl side of trucking. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Freight has an inferior contract. Very weak language on subcontractors. They get paid less and i heard the new trucks have in cab cameras. So all the same bs ups harassment but less benefits.

sppollock

It sounds like you are talking linehaul division, it all depends on what area of the country you are working in. We have a lot of drivers coming in that get hired to be starved out after a few months because they decide to put loads on contractors. If your making 1200-1500 a week now and expect anything like that before you have probably 10 years seniority good luck, even at top rate they sit drivers and run contractors. I have been here for 10 years as a city P&D driver at a end of the line terminal.

The rumor about cameras in the trucks is just that, a rumor, I have driving every style of new truck we have and no cameras in the truck, fact on rumor.

It all depends on the terminal you work at will depend on if you work everyday, or even work every week, or starve and wish to whomever you want that you stayed at your old job. Management over manages every thing you do, to the point of sending messages asking why you are delivering this stop before this other one, my normal response is look at google maps and leave me alone.

These people above me are mostly small package, they are right, if there was a chance in hell to get on to feeders jump at it, but it sounds like there isn't so never mind.

Good luck in what you decide to do, but if you have a good job now and you haven't talked to the drivers in your area then don't leave and stay at your current job.

Nike

Shaggysp you need to get your own rig and run jobs yourself!
Everybody that I talk to that does this says it's the best decision they have ever made.
See if you can rent a rig at first, run some jobs, see how you like it, and once you have the money buy your own rig and be your own boss. Somebody mentioned above that private contractors are taking work, well become a private contractor yourself and do that work on your own terms...