Teamsters suck

Box Ox

Then they shouldn't feel threatened when someone says we should remove the Union and allow everything to be based on merit instead of seniority. Unless of course they are afraid that they would lose the pension/benefits that they believe they are entitled to.

That’s why we keep the Union around, dip:censored2:.

Box Ox

The union creates an atmosphere where old guys are taking all the money, hours, and paid vacation time, meanwhile hungry new people are held down.

If you just showed up to run a baby route as a seasonal, I can understand why the amount of time those folks have had to put in to get all of the above wouldn’t be something you could fathom. But it’s a fact nonetheless.

If we got rid of the union, then job security wouldn't be based on Seniority, but on merit.

We deliver packages, broseph. None of our degrees or how smart we think we are mean :censored2: at UPS. Nor should it. If you put the work in to stick around, you’ll come to appreciate seniority.

take your time

If your last name was Teamsters, I’d agree. Little secret here, everyone here was the lowest on the seniority pole at some point.

Oh, right. 30 years later when you finally get a full time bid route:

"HONEY I MADE IT!"

Attachments

• ups.jpg
    ups.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 241

Box Ox

Oh, right. 30 years later when you finally get a full time bid route:

"HONEY I MADE IT!"

It’s not 30 years for a bid route. But it is a long haul to retirement for new entrants given the current package weight limit and typical stop counts. If you’re already bitter about the work and time you’ll have to put in, UPS probably isn’t the place for you.

badpal

Yeah, that's right. If it were up to me, I would get rid of the Union for UPS.

The union creates an atmosphere where old guys are taking all the money, hours, and paid vacation time, meanwhile hungry new people are held down.

If we got rid of the union, then job security wouldn't be based on Seniority, but on merit. Something the old geezers hogging all the hours don't want.
Have no fear kid, you will be old before you know it.

take your time

Indeed. So are you management, or do you really think you have a cogent argument to make about why hourlies would be better off without the Union?

I would say the only positive thing about the Union would be the higher wages. But everything else is designed in a way to keep the older drivers safe, and the newer drivers down.

That's how unions started back in the early 1900s. Many people think Unions started to help the black people who were starting to join the workforce after emancipation. It was the opposite: It was to make sure that blacks didn't have a chance to progress. That's when they pushed for "First in, Last out". They wanted to make sure that the older people kept their jobs.

People like yourself, and others, have seen this first hand. When you first started, the older drivers had control, meanwhile you needed to work decade-decades before you could advance.

UPS Preloader

So then what are they worried about? Then they shouldn't feel threatened when someone says we should remove the Union and allow everything to be based on merit instead of seniority. Unless of course they are afraid that they would lose the pension/benefits that they believe they are entitled to.

Without the union, they would lose their pension/benefits and so wouldn’t you. Is that what you want? UPS would be the only winner.

Box Ox

People like yourself, and others, have seen this first hand. When you first started, the older drivers had control, meanwhile you needed to work decade-decades before you could advance.

Years? Yep. Decades, nah. And I think a 50 year old driver who has decades of UPS wear on their bodies should be able to take more vacation and choose a relatively easier route than the :censored2: splits the young/new drivers get. We’ll be old someday too. And we’re all in this thing together.

take your time

Without the union, they would lose their pension/benefits and so wouldn’t you. Is that what you want? UPS would be the only winner.

Wait, put the benefits aside for a second. So what you are telling me is that you as a preloader, would prefer to wait on a list that goes by seniority to see if you could qualify for a driver position (let's assume that's what you wanted, or even for Feeders) instead of applying for the job you wanted and being able to showcase your ability to get the job? You would prefer to wait months/years instead of showing what you've got to offer?

take your time

Years? Yep. Decades, nah. And I think a 50 year old driver who has decades of UPS wear on their bodies should be able to take more vacation and choose a relatively easier route than the :censored2: splits the young/new drivers get. We’ll be old someday too. And we’re all in this thing together.

Ok, fair enough. I can see it from your point of view.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

If we got rid of the union, then job security wouldn't be based on Seniority, but on merit. Something the old geezers hogging all the hours don't want.
Whenever I think I've finally read the stupidest post on BC, someone always steps up and says "watch my beer".

Box Ox

So what you are telling me is that you as a preloader, would prefer to wait on a list that goes by seniority to see if you could qualify for a driver position (let's assume that's what you wanted, or even for Feeders) instead of applying for the job you wanted and being able to showcase your ability to get the job? You would prefer to wait months/years instead of showing what you've got to offer?

Nobody wants to wait to make the real money. But systematically discarding older drivers for replacement by younger ones just because their bodies are fresh doesn’t create a favorable career system for anybody.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I would say the only positive thing about the Union would be the higher wages. But everything else is designed in a way to keep the older drivers safe, and the newer drivers down.

That's how unions started back in the early 1900s. Many people think Unions started to help the black people who were starting to join the workforce after emancipation. It was the opposite: It was to make sure that blacks didn't have a chance to progress. That's when they pushed for "First in, Last out". They wanted to make sure that the older people kept their jobs.

To straighten you out would probably be a wasted effort, but I like lost causes. Answer this question, if it weren't for the union (which is all of us), the pay and benefits they secured through the hard work of those old drivers (many of whom put it all on the line to strike when necessary), would you even be interested in this job? I'll make it easy for you, the answer is "no".

You are nothing but an usurper who wants now what others have worked a lifetime to get. If you had it your way, the company would use you up within ten years, then spit you out the minute you started to slow down a little, and you'd be happy to do it for half the pay and no benefits. People like you are the reason unions are necessary.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Just out of curiosity, are you the same guy who blogged on UPSer.com about the same matter? He cause a hell of a reaction before his remarks were removed. I would be considered one of those old geezers and I consider your remarks to be discriminatory and agism and I seen the new people and most do not last past orientation or the first week. Count your lucky stars that we old geezers are technically running the show. Kid you got a lot to learn, start learning the easy way and change your snouty attitude or you will in up the the hamster wheel of non-advancement with this company.

john chesney

Hey numb nuts you couldn’t carry my jock strap. I’ve made it 35 years and know your little whinny bitch ass types. I wish someone would talk that stupid :censored2: around me in person