Teamsters Union Faces Revolt From Members Over UPS Contracts

Fighter

Lol asking for overtime for part time drivers and help with pensions is asking too much. /sarcasm

“The offers became worse after declining the first proposal.”

UPS not budging and they know that the union will fold. Without the power of a strike, UPS can do anything
The overtime that was withdrawn was for part-timers working six and seven days. They were to get time and one half for the sixth and seventh punch since there is only language in the contract that says a part-timer gets overtime after five hours in ONE day. So no reward for working six and seven days without the time and one half language.

Fighter

Another miss. A new employee pays less dues than a senior employee which doesn't reconcile with the dues hungry union you've alleged.
But I'm guessing they'd be willing to receive lower dues from your replacement...
A new employee pays less in dues because they make much less per hour. They still pay two and one half times their hourly rate per month just the same as a senior worker. With the part-timers it is another story. The part-timers get the federal minimum wage which is fifty cents higher then the current contractual wage. (The new contract will place that figure higher). At my rate I am part time and pay as much as a full time worker. Yet I do not get the hours so the percentage that I actually pay from my earnings is twice that of a full timer plus I will not receive a Teamster pension. I will receive a company pension. So to sum up I and other part timers pay a higher percentage of earnings in union dues with no pension from the union.

Inthegame

A new employee pays less in dues because they make much less per hour. They still pay two and one half times their hourly rate per month just the same as a senior worker. With the part-timers it is another story. The part-timers get the federal minimum wage which is fifty cents higher then the current contractual wage.
The Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
At my rate I am part time and pay as much as a full time worker.
In total dollars you do not pay as much as a full time worker.
Dues are based on wages. Anyone making $11 or less per hour should be paying 2X their wage in dues per month. Over $11 goes to 2.5X their wage.
Yet I do not get the hours so the percentage that I actually pay from my earnings is twice that of a full timer...
You are part time. If you received full time hours you would be full time. You are correct as far as dues % of total monthly earnings is higher for PT's because of the weekly hourly guarantee.
... plus I will not receive a Teamster pension. I will receive a company pension. So to sum up I and other part timers pay a higher percentage of earnings in union dues with no pension from the union.
Many full time employees are under a company pension. Dues have nothing to do with pension contributions other than dues have paid for the negotiations that have provided pensions for both Full and Part time employees. Do you think you'd have a pension as a part timer at UPS without a union contract?

Fighter

The Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
In total dollars you do not pay as much as a full time worker.
Dues are based on wages. Anyone making $11 or less per hour should be paying 2X their wage in dues per month. Over $11 goes to 2.5X their wage.
You are part time. If you received full time hours you would be full time. You are correct as far as dues % of total monthly earnings is higher for PT's because of the weekly hourly guarantee.

Many full time employees are under a company pension. Dues have nothing to do with pension contributions other than dues have paid for the negotiations that have provided pensions for both Full and Part time employees. Do you think you'd have a pension as a part timer at UPS without a union contract?
Hard enough for UPS to get part-timers to stay so I would think there would be some sort of pension. When I was hired in 1976 part-timers started at $4.09 with a top rate of $5.09. No benefits. The strike gained for the part-timers. So I have seen a lot of change over those 43 years. Who got the pension for part-timers I do not know. However I have the 1976 contract which was won after a strike of almost four months and will see if there is any information on the subject.

UPS tried for decades to change the full-time pension and not have it be a multi-employer fund. The Teamsters fought tooth and nail and we now are where we are in regards to the problems with those multi-employer plans.

Inthegame

Hard enough for UPS to get part-timers to stay so I would think there would be some sort of pension. When I was hired in 1976 part-timers started at $4.09 with a top rate of $5.09. No benefits. The strike gained for the part-timers. So I have seen a lot of change over those 43 years. Who got the pension for part-timers I do not know. However I have the 1976 contract which was won after a strike of almost four months and will see if there is any information on the subject.

UPS tried for decades to change the full-time pension and not have it be a multi-employer fund. The Teamsters fought tooth and nail and we now are where we are in regards to the problems with those multi-employer plans.
I was on the picket line in May of '76. I know some supplements stayed out, (Pennsylvania as I recall) but in the Central we were back after two weeks. Still the best contract money wise in my memory. 3 years, $.65, .50 and .50 with those last two years COLA adjusted to .74 and .72. Not bad as the FT wage going in was $7.31.

I know of no non union company that offers a pension to part time employees.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was on the picket line in May of '76. I know some supplements stayed out, (Pennsylvania as I recall) but in the Central we were back after two weeks. Still the best contract money wise in my memory. 3 years, $.65, .50 and .50 with those last two years COLA adjusted to .74 and .72. Not bad as the FT wage going in was $7.31.

I know of no non union company that offers a pension to part time employees.
So wages were provided for in the Central Region Supplement back in 1976?

Inthegame

Without looking at the (presently inaccessible) book I can't answer that. My statement about the Central was in response to the posters "... after a strike of almost four months".
The CRT was not on strike for four months but there was some issues between UPS and parts of Pennsylvania that dragged on a long time, so maybe the poster was affected by that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Without looking at the (presently inaccessible) book I can't answer that. My statement about the Central was in response to the posters "... after a strike of almost four months".
The CRT was not on strike for four months but there was some issues between UPS and parts of Pennsylvania that dragged on a long time, so maybe the poster was affected by that.
I was just curious, being that I was only 10 years old in 1976.:wink2:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Nope.

It only contained provision's for Health & Welfare, Pension, and cost of living.

535xmg.jpg

F

Frankie's Friend

Oh, the good ol days.
Thank you for that response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitelightning1534

They're lucky we really didn't go on strike I really thought that we were about to go on strike I figured we would've been spending Thanksgiving in the middle of a strike I don't see why we didn't go on strike I feel like a national strike would've forced UPS to meet some of our demands so to speak

Inthegame

They're lucky we really didn't go on strike I really thought that we were about to go on strike I figured we would've been spending Thanksgiving in the middle of a strike I don't see why we didn't go on strike I feel like a national strike would've forced UPS to meet some of our demands so to speak
So it's fair to say you like the word "strike", so to speak.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
....and I almost as much?
....and has no use for punctuation.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Everyone want's to be a gangster.... until it's time to do gangster stuff.

With only 22% of the members participating in the strike vote, it would have been

a mess. Members would have been crossing in droves. That was the concern.