Teamsters Union Faces Revolt From Members Over UPS Contracts

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
What you guys fail to realize is that the company writes the contract according to who they think is going to vote.
A22FFE92-1753-4B58-82DE-9828621E4E73.gif

BiggieBrown

What you guys fail to realize is that the company writes the contract according to who they think is going to vote.

There is no "you guys."
There are just individual part-timers floating in a sea of boxes.
Personally I think FT and PT should have separate contracts.
The two are already totally separated in spirit and that way PT can't be blamed for FT failures.

There is no "you guys."
The two are already totally separated in spirit and that way PT can't be blamed for FT failures.
You have some choices here. I e you could vote for a better contract next time. (You guys) out number us.

Or you could go for a full-time job and make some real money.

PT Car Washer

You have some choices here. I e you could vote for a better contract next time. (You guys) out number us.

Or you could go for a full-time job and make some real money.
The only contract we can vote on is the one presented to us. Can you imagine what would happen if the next contract reduced FT wages and increased PT wages?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All this talk about how part timers are supposed to rise up is basically victim blaming part timers are cogs in the machine none of us receive education or brotherly advice about union issues at all we are lucky if we even receive job training or if a FT even speaks to us like a human being.
In the driver's mind, we are canon fodder to feed their bloated pensions and wages.
In the union's mind, we are initiation fee cash cows.
In management's mind, we are to be put in the meat grinder, used up, and then hopefully made to quit at around 11 months (now 8 months) right before we get our benefits.
We are exploited by every other faction at UPS and you guys are puzzled why no PT gives a crap about this place.

Not only do we not care, the situation has been deliberately engineered to ensure that we don't care.
You are expecting organized action from a workforce that is deliberately kept fragmented.
You just aren't evaluating the situation rationally because you have an emotional need for a scapegoat. Just one more burden for the part-timer's broken back.
You can continue to make all these self perceived astute observations, but in the end your classification (part time UPS workers) have the ultimate 2 to 1 trump card in your back pocket.

Let me ask you this, if this deck is intentionally stacked against you by the Company and Union (even though you hold the trump card), who is it you contend will lead you from lethargy?

....or will you just continue to go to work and suffer?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no "you guys."
Nobody if failing?
The Company has never been more profitable?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There is no "you guys."
The only contract we can vote on is the one presented to us. Can you imagine what would happen if the next contract reduced FT wages and increased PT wages?
Seriously guys (gals), know this, I empathize with your plight and would for sure stand with "you guys" when and if you finally choose to stand up collectively.

....and it is absolutely as simple and easy as casting a vote.

Jim Rockford

It s simple gang!...we just gotta get workforce full of a revolving door of 18 year olds engaged and involved in issues that wont effect them after they quit in 6 months.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It s simple gang!...we just gotta get workforce full of a revolving door of 18 year olds engaged and involved in issues that wont effect them after they quit in 6 months.
....or we can hold the Company accountable for their gross understaffing in the sorts, that results in wholesale supervisor working violations, and force them to create more fulltime 22.3 jobs?

But I do agree that is much easier to sit back and postulate over what we can't or haven't done.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Someone on this forum, actually suggested that the Union should go to every

building.... and force people to vote.

Am I the one who shall not be named? If so, you clearly don't understand satire. It's people like you who blame the members for not voting, yet have no pragmatic suggetions for how to increase voter turn out. You just keep repeating the same platitudes, "the members need to be more involved", then smugly pat yourself on the back for being such a bright boy and pointing out the obvious

I keep bringing up the baseball bat thing as a satirical reference to the racketeering days. I do so because I'd like to start a conversation about what can actually be done to increase union member involvement, but no one responds. I think that's because "someone(s) on this forum" don't actually want increased member involvement. Feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong.

stray

All this talk about how part timers are supposed to rise up is basically victim blaming part timers are cogs in the machine none of us receive education or brotherly advice about union issues at all we are lucky if we even receive job training or if a FT even speaks to us like a human being.
Do you think that we, as full time drivers, working 50-60 hrs/week receive some kind of education or brotherly advice from someone? No, we take the time to educate ourselves, attend meetings, etc. I have many PT friends from when I was PT (as well as many new PT friends) whom I still speak to and discuss these issues with, maybe you should open up the discussion with some of the FT guys in your building.
In the driver's mind, we are canon fodder to feed their bloated pensions and wages.
I can't see how you see it that way, PT employees are there because they chose to work there, period. If you're not doing it for the opportunity to go FT, or for the healthcare, then you must've accepted the job for the pay or schedule. Whatever the reason, there's no correlation between you doing your job and our wages/pension. BTW, the FT wages are good, I agree with you on that but the pension in my area is nothing to brag about.
In the union's mind, we are initiation fee cash cows.
Yeah, that whopping initiation fee is sooooo important to keep the Local afloat, gimme a break!
In management's mind, we are to be put in the meat grinder, used up, and then hopefully made to quit at around 11 months (now 8 months) right before we get our benefits.
Here, I agree with part of what you are saying. They do abuse package handlers in every hub/center I've been in, and I certainly shared your sentiments during the decade I unloaded/sorted/handled irregs. Not sure that UPS hopes you quit within the first year, though - but we're almost on the same page on the general issue you mentioned here.
We are exploited by every other faction at UPS and you guys are puzzled why no PT gives a crap about this place.

Not only do we not care, the situation has been deliberately engineered to ensure that we don't care.
To not care is your right, but I don't think it is "deliberately engineered" for that to happen. One has to desire to be involved in the Union, nobody is going to spoon feed you.
You are expecting organized action from a workforce that is deliberately kept fragmented.
You just aren't evaluating the situation rationally because you have an emotional need for a scapegoat. Just one more burden for the part-timer's broken back.
Again, how are you deliberately kept fragmented? Are you not allowed to speak to your co-workers ever? Are you not allowed to attend monthly meetings? Are you not allowed to call your Union Hall and ask questions? Nobody asked you to perform organized action. At most, I would assume you were asked to vote, a simple process that has been streamlined to take a couple minutes at most and only happens once every 5 years. Maybe it is you who isn't evaluating the situation rationally because you have an emotional need to be portrayed as a scapegoat?
There is no "you guys."
[sigh] There shouldn't be any "you guys", there should be a proud "WE". There are certainly issues that only pertain to PT employees, and issues that pertain to FT employees - just as there are issues that pertain to classifications within each PT/FT classification. If you feel each would be better served in separate agreements, that's your prerogative but we are certainly stronger united than divided.
You're saying PT wages have been reduced?