Teamsters Union Faces Revolt From Members Over UPS Contracts

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
There was a strike vote in 1997 before the end of the the contract...it was a hands up vote (yea or nay) at the local union hall..

We had about 200 UPS members show up out of about 1000..strike authorization passed at 98 percent...The percentages would be very similar to the recent 2018 strike authorization vote on line..

Despite the claims of some on this site, if we had to strike with FULL leadership on board.. (nobody would cross). It is not a matter of loyalty/love with the International but respect from your fellow members (In these part of the woods we do not cotton to cowards and scabs)...

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
UPS owes its "workers" over half a billion dollars. friend$%^ this company. friend#@! this union. Under Paid Slaves is accurate.

lolbr

So how did those 25 know the time/date of the meeting?
Because they are regular attendees and the meetings are the same day/time each month (this company gets this room every 2nd Sunday from 10-12am). Anyone who hasn't attended regularly is unlikely to know this. You can also call the local and ask.

Inthegame

... and the meetings are the same day/time each month
Yes, I figured that was the answer.

While I agree postings should be current, not attending regularly scheduled mtgs because of the lack of the bulletin board posts, is a weak excuse.

I used to post hand written notices of mtgs on every locker/restroom/breakroom door in my 4 center bldg for years, so everyone (well over 1000) knew of mtgs.

No noticeable increase in attendance.

PT Car Washer

There was a strike vote in 1997 before the end of the the contract...it was a hands up vote (yea or nay) at the local union hall..

We had about 200 UPS members show up out of about 1000..strike authorization passed at 98 percent...The percentages would be very similar to the recent 2018 strike authorization vote on line..

Despite the claims of some on this site, if we had to strike with FULL leadership on board.. (nobody would cross). It is not a matter of loyalty/love with the International but respect from your fellow members (In these part of the woods we do not cotton to cowards and scabs)...
Too many FT members are only looking out for themselves. Very few would go on strike for a PT member to earn $15/hr. even in this last concession laden contract, FT drivers that have passed progression came out pretty well. Maybe the wage increases could have been better but no one is complaining about making $40/hr at the end of the contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Too many FT members are only looking out for themselves. Very few would go on strike for a PT member to earn $15/hr. even in this last concession laden contract, FT drivers that have passed progression came out pretty well. Maybe the wage increases could have been better but no one is complaining about making $40/hr at the end of the contract.
Too many PT members pay dues and choose not participate in the Union process.

With that being said, it's very hard to qualify your statement when part timers out number full timers by a two to one margin.

Explain to us why it is not possible for part timers to "flip the script" in this dynamic you note.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, I figured that was the answer.

While I agree postings should be current, not attending regularly scheduled mtgs because of the lack of the bulletin board posts, is a weak excuse.

I used to post hand written notices of mtgs on every locker/restroom/breakroom door in my 4 center bldg for years, so everyone (well over 1000) knew of mtgs.

No noticeable increase in attendance.
If your meetings were on the same weeknight, during the 1st week of the month, at 7pm like ours are....

....with the same stale, repetitive content, I'm not suprised that your efforts did not bare fruit.

PT Car Washer

Too many PT members pay dues and choose not participate in the Union process.

With that being said, it's very hard to qualify your statement when part timers out number full timers by a two to one margin.

Explain to us why it is not possible for part timers to "flip the script" in this dynamic you note.
I believe your 2 to 1 ratio is greatly exaggerated. From my experience most FT members just pay dues and choose not to participate except at contract time. Kind of hard to want to get involved in a Union that offers a minimum wage job with no benefits while working next to someone making $30 or $36/hr.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I believe your 2 to 1 ratio is greatly exaggerated.
It's been widely disseminated during the latest contract vote that our membership is 65% part time employees at UPS.....so, do the math.

I would hardly say taking a 1.66% liberty in asserting 2 to 1 as being "greatly exaggerated"???

It's been widely disseminated during the latest contract vote that our membership is 65% part time employees at UPS.....so, do the math.

I would hardly say taking a 1.66% liberty in asserting 2 to 1 as being "greatly exaggerated"???
65% - 45% = 20%

How’d I do?

PT Car Washer

I am guessing there were not many math questions on your GED exam.

BiggieBrown

All this talk about how part timers are supposed to rise up is basically victim blaming part timers are cogs in the machine none of us receive education or brotherly advice about union issues at all we are lucky if we even receive job training or if a FT even speaks to us like a human being.
In the driver's mind, we are canon fodder to feed their bloated pensions and wages.
In the union's mind, we are initiation fee cash cows.
In management's mind, we are to be put in the meat grinder, used up, and then hopefully made to quit at around 11 months (now 8 months) right before we get our benefits.
We are exploited by every other faction at UPS and you guys are puzzled why no PT gives a crap about this place.

Not only do we not care, the situation has been deliberately engineered to ensure that we don't care.

All this talk about how part timers are supposed to rise up is basically victim blaming part timers are cogs in the machine none of us receive education or brotherly advice about union issues at all we are lucky if we even receive job training or if a FT even speaks to us like a human being.
In the driver's mind, we are canon fodder to feed their bloated pensions and wages.
In the union's mind, we are initiation fee cash cows.
In management's mind, we are to be put in the meat grinder, used up, and then hopefully made to quit at around 11 months (now 8 months) right before we get our benefits.
We are exploited by every other faction at UPS and you guys are puzzled why no PT gives a crap about this place.

Not only do we not care, the situation has been deliberately engineered to ensure that we don't care.
Well you all could have voted No and demanded more.

You are expecting organized action from a workforce that is deliberately kept fragmented.
You just aren't evaluating the situation rationally because you have an emotional need for a scapegoat. Just one more burden for the part-timer's broken back.
What you guys fail to realize is that the company writes the contract according to who they think is going to vote.