The Big Reveal

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe they buy them on the cheap from the flooded used truck market.
You think all those bankrupt contractors are going to hang onto their trucks?
No. But if it were me, I wouldn’t sell them cheap.

Contractors are flush with ERC money. They have time. If the company made the announcement tomorrow, many could keep up with truck payments for months.

That’s the sweet spot. Can they rent enough trucks for six months or are they better off paying more than they want to?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Contractors are flush with ERC money. They have time. If the company made the announcement tomorrow, many could keep up with truck payments for months.

That’s the sweet spot. Can they rent enough trucks for six months or are they better off paying more than they want to?
So, you’d make payments on depreciating equipment in order to thumb your nose at your former customer?

What a sound business practice.

bbsam

Staff member
So, you’d make payments on depreciating equipment in order to thumb your nose at your former customer?

What a sound business practice.
No. Because I wouldn’t have to wait long. They’d need the trucks far sooner than I’d need to make payments.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Where I live, the go-to Ground vehicle is almost always an old ex-Express W700. These are pretty cheap rides, and are rebuildable essentially forever. I see very few new or newer Ground trucks, and this includes the line haul tractors. I'm guessing that truck payments aren't a huge cost for many contractors. Maintenance for sure, but purchase(s) not so much. Other parts of the country may be different.

It will be fine

Where I live, the go-to Ground vehicle is almost always an old ex-Express W700. These are pretty cheap rides, and are rebuildable essentially forever. I see very few new or newer Ground trucks, and this includes the line haul tractors. I'm guessing that truck payments aren't a huge cost for many contractors. Maintenance for sure, but purchase(s) not so much. Other parts of the country may be different.
Linehaul tractors can’t be more than 5-6 years old these days. They all need the new safety equipment or the contractor is on the hook for up to $75k in liability for accidents. There are very few old tractors left in network.

yadig

Linehaul tractors can’t be more than 5-6 years old these days. They all need the new safety equipment or the contractor is on the hook for up to $75k in liability for accidents. There are very few old tractors left in network.
Not true. U n sam act like FedEx cares about the contractors. They could care a less bout both their employees! Welcome aboard

SmithBarney

Your area been getting the $3 surge/premium pay the last 14 months like many other places? Makes it easy to hire handlers at $19/hr to compete with Chick-fil-a and Chipotle. Is your area giving freight to ground? Too many couriers and not enough work. Not much overtime this peak. ground asking for more freight as they have drivers going home early and excess capacity.

If the above doesn't apply to you, just wait until the ground roll out goes nationwide. You won't have a courier shortage anymore. You will have a freight shortage. Minimum hours will become a norm. The only extra hours this peak will be coming because the MEMH plane did not make it in yesterday and there will be freight to deliver today.
The ramp handlers only get the $5 bump, they tried to take it away, and nearly half of the staff threatened to walk. new Handlers making more than new drivers, Ground has been taking some freight, unfortunately it usually comes back a few days later, local ground facility(its a big one) cannot handle our drop. We tried to give them our Dec 22-24rd XS and 2day... guess what we got back this week. I'm off the the next few weeks... can't wait to see what happens.

bacha29

First of all. exactly who's underwriting the insurance contract? Is it FDX or a third party insurer? And I suppose like everything else that so called "independent contractor" has to pay for safety upgrades.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ground has been taking some freight, unfortunately it usually comes back a few days later, local ground facility(its a big one) cannot handle our drop. We tried to give them our Dec 22-24rd XS and 2day... guess what we got back this week.
No big surprise there and as I’ve been saying, Ground will weasel out of delivering Express packages come hell or high water.

Why are they allowed to get away with this?

lilwizbiz

There's no way for either companies to handle peak volume without air operations. UPS will keep their air operations but cut where they can. They are way ahead of FedEx as far as efficiency having one combined system.
Most customers I talk to actually praise express in terms of speedy deliveries and say UPS is nowhere near in terms of timely deliveries. They just use them because they’re wayyyy cheaper than express. Like I’m talking more than 50% cheaper in most cases. You get what you pay for essentially

MAKAVELI

Most customers I talk to actually praise express in terms of speedy deliveries and say UPS is nowhere near in terms of timely deliveries. They just use them because they’re wayyyy cheaper than express. Like I’m talking more than 50% cheaper in most cases. You get what you pay for essentially
UPS service percentage has been higher than FedEx for a while. Might be lower in your location but nationwide UPS is higher.

MAKAVELI

UPs is not cheaper. Don't know where you get your information from but you need to check your facts bro.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I notice you addressed absolutely ZERO of the items on my list.
For one, I have no interest in addressing a stupid list of concerns of someone who hasn't worked for the company for years. For two, Artee addressed them very well.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I see you and Dano are mutually sycophantic now. My information is absolutely current. Everything you just stated here was immediately put to rest by a subsequent poster (not me). If someone out there would like to reveal specific failed locations, please do, because I don't want to compromise my sources. Hint: Look at Washington State and California to start. "FDX tries to find itself" is your most revealing statement.
LOL!!!

"Here are some vague claims, prove them wrong!! I HAVE SOURCES!!!"