The Express employee massacre continues.

Gone fishin

It is obvious that FedEx contractors are finding able-bodied people willing to take crappy jobs that you or I don't want or need.

Unbelievable, right?

Tell me again all about the "labor shortage."
Depends on your area , too many better jobs in my area. Ground struggle’s horribly and the actual owner has to run rts. He’s looking to sell but no body is dumb enough here

Mutineer

Depends on your area , too many better jobs in my area. Ground struggle’s horribly and the actual owner has to run rts. He’s looking to sell but no body is dumb enough here

Contractors I know in California say drivers anymore usually last 6 months to 2 years. And none complain of not finding fresh meat to throw in the seat.

It is very true that "depends on your area" means wildly different outcomes and experiences on very many different subjects.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Read post #226. A comparison between Express employment and Ground contractor employment is clearly spelled out.

Union busting began with Reagan in 1981 followed by the nomination of a steady stream of very conservative federal judges to the bench and were confirmed by a Congress loaded with equally conservative members. Many of whom were elected to their seats by blue collar workers. A situation made even worse as a result of state legislation creating right to enslavement legislation.

You are one hundred percent correct when you stated that blue collar America has consistently voted against it's own self interests for the past number of decades. Reestablishing it's rightful position in American domestic policy will be daunting.
Lol, union busting...

NC man

Fedex is moving to full contractor model,we all,know it .Takes time but the pay is less and no benefits so it saves tons of money. The portable pension is gone for new hires and no telling how much is saved when no insurance to cover employees is needed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fedex is moving to full contractor model,we all,know it .Takes time but the pay is less and no benefits so it saves tons of money. The portable pension is gone for new hires and no telling how much is saved when no insurance to cover employees is needed.
Do they offer a 401k and, if so, do they offer a match?

bacha29

Lol, union busting...

So what's your point? The Teamsters have been setting the wage and benefit market for LTL drivers for decades and FDX Freight over it's lifetime has by and large stayed fairly close to it. So what are you telling us that we don't already know?

zeev

So what's your point? The Teamsters have been setting the wage and benefit market for LTL drivers for decades and FDX Freight over it's lifetime has by and large stayed fairly close to it. So what are you telling us that we don't already know?
Exactly FedEx Freight is step for step with the rest of LTL why because of a union threat . Freight drivers have no comprehension of the nonsense at Express and Ground. They no Freddy doesn’t love ❤️ them.

bacha29

Do they offer a 401k and, if so, do they offer a match?
In order to generate interest in the offer many if not most if not nearly all contractors have to front load the cash while there's little to nothing at the back end in terms of employer funded healthcare, disability pay, pensions , paid holidays, paid vacation. Places where the real cost of labor is found.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If they expect Express service at Ground rates, yes. If Ground is seen only as a low cost method of dumping Express drivers, yes.

Low wage, high turnover will prove a loser compared to UPS’ professional career high wage model. It’s not even close and the evidence is there. Ask any customer who’s done it better over the last year. I’d be shocked if 80% didn’t say UPS without hesitation.

But let me ask you. Who’s done it better? Ground or UPS? How does Ground close that gap? By having Memphis and Pittsburgh point fingers and bitch about ingrates like Spencer Patton?
What does that have to do with what I've asked?

Consider your answers to the previous questions. Now add in 80% Express. Think about operations and brand. Spencer Patton is gone. Do you believe the problems have been fixed? Or do you believe Patton WAS the problem and one disposed of in short order?
Spencer was stirring the pot for his own benefit. Pretty easy to see. He was predicting and imminent and certain implosion months and months ago, and Ground wasn't going to survive peak without significant structural and financial changes, and on and on.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Residential customers will accept MUCH MUCH less than business customers. A smart company would make the service great across the board. Not aim for good enough. That’s how a company who sells only service goes out of business. And the only people on planet earth that think FedEx Ground delivers great service are the people responsible for chopping up Express.
People tell me Ground is no good, then I go look at their financial statements.

Conclusion? The people telling me Ground is no good have never looked at Ground's financial statements.

For the hundredth time, no one GAF what mine or your or someone else's opinion of Ground is. They're shipping 10 million pieces of freight a day and making good money doing it. All the screaming by Express people (me included) doesn't change that.

bacha29

People tell me Ground is no good, then I go look at their financial statements.

Conclusion? The people telling me Ground is no good have never looked at Ground's financial statements.

For the hundredth time, no one GAF what mine or your or someone else's opinion of Ground is. They're shipping 10 million pieces of freight a day and making good money doing it. All the screaming by Express people (me included) doesn't change that.
I challenge you to go the record and describe in actual dollars and cents per hour plus employer funded benefit plan what you consider to be "good money". Don't give us the run around Dano. Exactly what point on the wage and benefit scale to you consider a worker to be making what you consider to be "good money"