Trump into the DMZ

bacha29

You tell me Obama did something.

I asked for an example, which seems like it would be easy to find since you insinuated he does it regularly.

You respond by calling me a name. :-)

WELCOME TO THE NEW REPUBLICAN PARTY!

If John Kasich is ever nominated I would vote for him before almost any Democrat, Sherrod Brown would be my first choice. Kasich is one of the few people who would work with both parties to actually get something done for average people, IMO.
Kasich like so many other "hey, look at me I cut state spending" Republican governors in the same vein as Corbett and Brownback he too simply passed the taxation burden down to the local level and acted like he actually did something. Was never taken very seriously in his home state and if nominated I can't see him winning more than perhaps a dozen states.

newfie

Obviously not the one Trump is using. Continued isolation, sanctions and containment has proven themselves to be the most effective to date and until the Kim family finally dies off they will likely continue to be much more effective than embarrassing photo op's with one of the world's most brutal dictators.

effective how? Under Bush and Obama Jun acquired the nuclear technology. He then started working on long range missiles and firing them off indiscriminantly.

what exactly has been effective about our foriegn policy with NK in the last 65 years?

bacha29

effective how? Under Bush and Obama Jun acquired the nuclear technology. He then started working on long range missiles and firing them off indiscriminantly.

what exactly has been effective about our foriegn policy with NK in the last 65 years?
With a ground war out of the question and a surgical nuclear strike certain to provoke a similar response from China and or Russia photo oping appeasement is both embarrassing as well as ineffective along with being contrary to long standing US policy. Platitudes and publicity stunts will not change the mindset of the Kim regime. Simply too hardened by it's ideology and it's brutality.

vantexan

With a ground war out of the question and a surgical nuclear strike certain to provoke a similar response from China and or Russia photo oping appeasement is both embarrassing as well as ineffective along with being contrary to long standing US policy. Platitudes and publicity stunts will not change the mindset of the Kim regime. Simply too hardened by it's ideology and it's brutality.
And if Obama did it you'd be saying so brave, so noble!

newfie

thats the problem with your argument you want to make this a one event all or nothing event at the border. we have 65 years of hostility with NK to overcome. that is going to take some serious relationship building and a lot of work and time.

in this case the fact that Trump took a chance and called an improptu meeting and that Jun actually accepted and showed up is a positive step in relationship building.

the fact the president of the united states took the risk of stepping into north korea is a positive step. you've never served so you dont know that the dmz is a very dangerous place and trump took a big chance going there.

so you dont have an answer other then to continue with what has failed the last 65 years?

Box Ox

the fact the president of the united states took the risk of stepping into north korea is a positive step. you've never served so you dont know that the dmz is a very dangerous place and trump took a big chance going there.

so you dont have an answer other then to continue with what has failed the last 65 years?

The first meeting or two with Kim probably weren’t bad ideas. Was a good chance to see if he might give up his nukes. He clearly won’t. It’s time for the President of the United States to stop groveling before him in front of the cameras.

newfie

The first meeting or two with Kim probably weren’t bad ideas. Was a good chance to see if he might give up his nukes. He clearly won’t. It’s time for the President of the United States to stop groveling before him in front of the cameras.

damn straight , lets light him up with nukes instead. you guys thought it was great when Obama groveled the cubans.

hell they wouldnt even meet him at the airport. He almost had to call an uber to go see them .

same question to you. what we've tried aint working. things were instead getting worse. If trump trying to build a relationship with the guy is the wrong approach then what is the right approach?

something we have not tried before?

Box Ox

If trump trying to build a relationship with the guy is the wrong approach then what is the right approach?

A relationship isn’t going to happen. Kim is a murderous dictator whose only interest is self preservation. The nukes aren’t going. If I knew what the right approach was I’d be making much better money in DC right now. But this one isn’t it.

bacha29

A relationship isn’t going to happen. Kim is a murderous dictator whose only interest is self preservation. The nukes aren’t going. If I knew what the right approach was I’d be making much better money in DC right now. But this one isn’t it.
Kim is not going to do a damn thing Trump wants him to do. Why? Because he doesn't HAVE to do anything Trump wants him to do. In the meantime the only thing Trump should do is to quit playing right into the hands of the Kim propaganda machine.

newfie

sometimes you gotta take chances .

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
NO ONE ON THIS FORUM HAS ANY IDEA WHAT WILL WORK OR WHETHER TRUMP'S APPROACH WILL WORK.
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE THINKS ON HERE ... WE'RE ALL CLUELESS ... ESPECIALLY BACHO!

bacha29

NO ONE ON THIS FORUM HAS ANY IDEA WHAT WILL WORK OR WHETHER TRUMP'S APPROACH WILL WORK.
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE THINKS ON HERE ... WE'RE ALL CLUELESS ... ESPECIALLY BACHO!
Think so huh? Then tell me something . Just exactly what can Trump make Kim Jung-Un do that he doesn't want to do or have to do? The answer is nothing so why do anything that could benefit him especially giving him what he wants most of all? A place on the global political stage and the sense of political legitimacy and equal standing among top tier global political leaders.

rod

Retired 22 years
Looks like Donald is going to put on a great 4th of July parade in D.C. Go for it Donald--tanks - missles - the whole ball of wax. SHOW OF POWER--I love it.