Twin Hill uniforms causing hives

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Christ is there any thing we don't bitch about? I noticed my hands are getting dry from the steering wheel. Can I get ups to pay for some lotion?
A good thing we got team care it'll cover it.

This is much more than just a little bitching. There are class action lawsuits against Twin Hill for material defects in their clothing. If it turns out that Twin Hill knowingly used fabric in their uniforms that could cause an allergic reaction to the wearer they could be on the hook for any medical costs incurred as a result, as well as "pain and suffering".

Packmule

Christ is there any thing we don't bitch about? I noticed my hands are getting dry from the steering wheel. Can I get ups to pay for some lotion?
I've also noticed-and had it confirmed by my fashion conscious wife- that foreign clothing manufacturer sizes run small compared to US made. So I'm not fat! It's Twin Hill!

HubBub

I've also noticed-and had it confirmed by my fashion conscious wife- that foreign clothing manufacturer sizes run small compared to US made. So I'm not fat! It's Twin Hill!

lol, i used to be "large" (big frame), now i'm medium (large frame but not fat). so confusing. twin hill runs very small though for sure.

Gini Mic

Chemical Contact Dermatitis is a serious illness. Once you get it its a lifelong affliction.

Here is an interesting article on toxic clothing:

http://www.totalhealthmagazine.com/...s-Beware-Toxins-Lurking-in-Your-Clothing.html

Here is a quick excerpt:
You Need to Know…

• Most governments restrict formaldehyde levels in clothing… but NOT the U.S. One of the worst offenders is China. Beware of “Made in China” labels.
  • Use of formaldehyde in clothing is extremely widespread. There have even been lawsuits alleging high levels of it in Victoria’s Secret bras.
  • High temperatures and humidity make “poison clothes” even worse—they open your pores and increase chemical absorption.
  • You absorb formaldehyde from multiple sources daily, so don’t be fooled by manufacturers’ reassurances.
  • Disperse Blue Dyes may look gorgeous—even regal—but they put you at high risk for contact dermatitis. . . especially dark blue, brown, and black synthetic clothing. It’s important to note—laundering does not reverse that risk.
  • Worse. . . Disperse Blue # 1 is classified as a human carcinogen due to high malignant tumor levels in lab animals.
  • Incidentally, you might be interested to know that this dye also shows up in cosmetics and semi-permanent hair dyes.

Last edited:

fres431

The union has a grievance and in a way won it, or should I say ups challenge the teamsters to find a American company to make our uniforms.

Oak

The union has a grievance and in a way won it, or should I say ups challenge the teamsters to find a American company to make our uniforms.
Stitchco used to make shirts for USPS in Arkansas. They make a variety of products. Based in Mountain Home, AR, they also have nearby facilities that, I'm sure, would welcome another line. They are a UPS pickup account also.
http://www.stitchco.com/

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What's wrong with riverside...I have shorts made from them that I'm still wearing...and all of their clothes were the same shade of brown every single order.

ww1lp

Anthony in Connecticut
Thanks for the update. Please keeps us informed.
WOW! What a bee hive Ive opened.By the end of the week my boss and his boss were following me. They stopped me to interview me about the issues with the uniforms and said the CEO was a hands on guy and wants all the information and if other drivers in our center are having issues. They said they are going to ask all drivers.

They said the CEO wanted to know if the issues are real or am I a Americanist or something like that. I said my tee shirts and turtlenecks are union made in this country and I drive a Chevy Volt, so whats wrong with that? I then said while you have the CEO's attention ask him to install a EV charger for electric cars in our parking lot. LOL Hey nothing wrong with trying.

Ive been on vacation this week, so don't know if anythings been done yet

ww1lp

Anthony in Connecticut
What's wrong with riverside...I have shorts made from them that I'm still wearing...and all of their clothes were the same shade of brown every single order.
Riverside is great! I have uniform Shirts ten years old that look new still

Gini Mic

WOW! What a bee hive Ive opened.By the end of the week my boss and his boss were following me. They stopped me to interview me about the issues with the uniforms and said the CEO was a hands on guy and wants all the information and if other drivers in our center are having issues. They said they are going to ask all drivers.

They said the CEO wanted to know if the issues are real or am I a Americanist or something like that. I said my tee shirts and turtlenecks are union made in this country and I drive a Chevy Volt, so whats wrong with that? I then said while you have the CEO's attention ask him to install a EV charger for electric cars in our parking lot. LOL Hey nothing wrong with trying.

Ive been on vacation this week, so don't know if anythings been done yet
You've got some pull man. I sent Abney and email too... nothing happened.

fres431

I haven't gotten a response and if my manager has then he isn't telling me. I did however get some Twin Hill uniforms made in the USA. I haven't put them on yet and don't plan to until I can get a patch test done with a sample of the new uni's. This is the first relief I've had in 5 years and I'm not about to set myself back without knowing for sure that these uniforms are OK the wear. I was also told that there is a 100% cotton option. I don't know why I wasn't told about that before I got these; I would have gone for the cotton for sure. I was also told by the western regional HR manager that in light of the big stink that I'm making about the uniform anyone who thinks they are being negatively effected by twin hill can just say so and will get the USA made or cotton version, no questions asked. View attachment 15671

Any results on patch test?