United Way

What got me this year was, the minimum you could donate was $24 for the year. I insisted that i would give $23 but they would not allow me, so they get NOTHING. How can you tell me the minimum i can donate?

One year I gave a $20 lump sum. I think the $24 minimum is for weekly contributions.

UPS Lifer

Being retired, they send you the form in the mail and ask you to contribute! Well the pressure is off and you don't have anyone over your shoulder making you feel the pressure. What a nice feeling. You can rip it up or make a contribution...no pressure!

Here is something I really have not shared with anyone but my wife. I feel guilty about it. A few years ago, I took over a hub operation. I personally monitored the contributions. I was embarrassed that PT employees were giving more than I was! That was the year that changed my outlook. I had people who barely could exist on what they earned showing generosity at leadership levels. I gave at the leadership plus level starting that year. I made sure that I filled out the form to give it to a charity in my community that my family supported on a personal level. I actually got a letter from the charity thanking me for my donation. It made me feel good.

I can tell you that I never did like how our goals were established. I never forced anyone to contribute but I personally felt the pressure to contribute. I didn't like that feeling. I also didn't like asking for contributions.

January of every year, I would have a BBQ for all leadership contributors. I would personally thank them for their generosity....(another feel good part of the job). I had a tremendous respect for these PT folks that dug deep to contribute. This had to be a real sacrifice.

I have to admit ...before I retired, it was not hard to get people to contribute in California. We had earthquakes and fires and 9-11 and of course Katrina. I really can't blame anyone for not contributing but follow what Moreluck says.

I can't say enough good things about all the people at UPS that give up their personal time as well as their hard earned money to help the less fortunate. You may complain, but you are an extradinary group of people that I am proud to be associated with.

Sammie

It's always been a big competition between UPS districts over who will raise the most money and who will make the News Letter. Who will be the "winner"????? The big "Thermometer Thing" in the hubs monitor how much has been received and God and everybody else knows who and how much has been received.

I used to monitor "God's List".

Guilt, humiliation and pressure were used at work, which resulted in many of us contributing -00000- from then on. Way to go, management.

Behind the scenes, United Way has had huge financial accounting
scandals and their new CFO, hired in 2006 to revamp the organization,
resigned already, charging that the scandal-ridden organization is exaggerating the amount of money it raised.

So much for the public's confidence. Not many of us appreciate being "coerced" into doing much of anything, considering what we already donate for our kids at school, at our churches, grocery stores are asking for donations at the check out lines and our friends e mail us for donations left and right (tho I must admit that the fight against breast cancer is admirable).

But the pressure of this United Way thing, even for those of us who are no longer employed at the company, is like a wart on your a## that won't go away. Giving out of guilt is hardly the answer. We can hang up on telemarketers but not so for the strong armed, workplace tactics.

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh the old 100% participation thing. Always makes one feel happy to give- not. When I was in the Army at basic training I was the last one in my company that hadn't joined the "savings bond" program. They called me in to see the 1st Sargent and he politely told me that although he couldn't force me to sign up that they always need soilders for KP duty on weekends. I signed up:wink: It's all about the numbers. Your center manager don't give a crap if you give $1.00 one time or $25.00 a pay period. As long as his center shows he has 100% participation it keeps the DM off his back.

toeknee2gx

:laugh::laugh: taken from wikipedia....

Reportedly, some workplaces with United Way collection programs do not follow commonly used ethical procedures when soliciting donations. Employees may be pressured into donating through peer pressure which is tolerated or even encouraged by management and threats of delayed professional advancement for non-contributors.[citation needed] United Way has made public that it does not support such measures.[1]

Channahon

The United Way Campaign is all about YOUR community. Donations are distributed based on your home zip code. If you have a favorite charity, ask for a designation form to direct your monies where you want.

If you've never seen a designation form, you may be surprised at the number of charities that benefit from the United Way. I know the campaign is over, and another way you can help your community is to volunteer, which with the holiday season coming, there are many needs out there.

There aren't many other great feelings out in the world today, but making someone less fortunate than you, feel better about themselves, is a great feeling.

JMO

local804

:cursing:Hey A__h__e why not support something the company supports and raise's over 50Million $$$$$$$$$$.......must be a bad idea

I would like to have a choice on what I would like to do with my money, thank you though for your kind support. There are many other foundations you can give to without a boss twisting your arm. United Way took out a full page to thank Bruce trotttier from UPS and other top companies for thier large contributions. Never on this page, did it say anything about monies from UPS employees, they just thanked Bruce. Few drivers tried for help from th UW when they had some serious problems. UW was unable to help them because they made too much money. Following year, after tons of complaints, they allowed a fund to go directly to that driver. I chose not to give, my choice. Oral Suer UW scam also makes me cringe. The guys collect 1000 bucks for the family that needs help, that family gets 1,000 bucks. If it went through the united way, they would only get $860. you do the math

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The one point that no one has yet to mention is the tax write off that you get if you itemize on your return. For me, I get back approx. 25% of what I donate, so my $25/week nets a return of $325 off of my taxes. This is the easiest way for me to donate as I don't even see the money. I find it hard to believe that any of us would miss $2/week but I do agree that giving money should be VOLUNTARY.

Griff

:cursing:Hey A__h__e why not support something the company supports and raise's over 50Million $$$$$$$$$$.......must be a bad idea

Some of us don't agree with the gestapo tactics used by management in regards to the United Way. Management will never tell me who, when, where to donate my personal money. {abbreviated profanity is still profanity}

edited by Cheryl...

UPS Lifer

Some of us don't agree with the gestapo tactics used by management in regards to the United Way. Management will never tell me who, when, where to donate my personal money. GTFO.

I don't think it is right for management to pressure anyone to contribute to any cause.

But I also find it revolting for management to be referred to as using gestapo tactics.... that is just a very ignorant statement to make.
This statement ties the nazi secret police to UPS management. VERY VERY INAPPORPRIATE!

W

wayne262

I know over the years we have all been harrassed about giving. Several years ago I did not give and the following months I was harrassed everyday. Someone stated to me as to the reason I was being harrassed was retailation for being the only one to not give.
I do believe that to be true because I now every year give and they have not harrassed me like that again.

brown bomber

brown bomber
It's always been a big competition between UPS districts over who will raise the most money and who will make the News Letter. Who will be the "winner"????? The big "Thermometer Thing" in the hubs monitor how much has been received and God and everybody else knows who and how much has been received.

I used to monitor "God's List".

Guilt, humiliation and pressure were used at work, which resulted in many of us contributing -00000- from then on. Way to go, management.

Behind the scenes, United Way has had huge financial accounting
scandals and their new CFO, hired in 2006 to revamp the organization,
resigned already, charging that the scandal-ridden organization is exaggerating the amount of money it raised.

So much for the public's confidence. Not many of us appreciate being "coerced" into doing much of anything, considering what we already donate for our kids at school, at our churches, grocery stores are asking for donations at the check out lines and our friends e mail us for donations left and right (tho I must admit that the fight against breast cancer is admirable).

But the pressure of this United Way thing, even for those of us who are no longer employed at the company, is like a wart on your a## that won't go away. Giving out of guilt is hardly the answer. We can hang up on telemarketers but not so for the strong armed, workplace tactics.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I would like to have a choice on what I would like to do with my money, thank you though for your kind support. There are many other foundations you can give to without a boss twisting your arm. United Way took out a full page to thank Bruce trotttier from UPS and other top companies for thier large contributions. Never on this page, did it say anything about monies from UPS employees, they just thanked Bruce. Few drivers tried for help from th UW when they had some serious problems. UW was unable to help them because they made too much money. Following year, after tons of complaints, they allowed a fund to go directly to that driver. I chose not to give, my choice. Oral Suer UW scam also makes me cringe. The guys collect 1000 bucks for the family that needs help, that family gets 1,000 bucks. If it went through the united way, they would only get $860. you do the math

brown bomber

brown bomber
hey folks here's unique idea...why not take advantage of the UPS gift match when making charitable contributions..they have some restrictions...but I've personally used this to double up on $1000's of charitable contributions...the form used to be available on UPSers.com...however I haven't been able to find it recently...so just ask your supervisor for a gift matching form...please make sure that your charity meets the guidelines (most are educational and cultural)...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Do you give to your church? Some of the Pastor's are set up in some pretty nice free digs and have a nice paid for retirement pkg. Someone has to run the show. I give 7 bucks a week to United Way. Have never been harrassed about giving. Just fill in the card and hand it in. We usually have guest speakers from some of the local United Way supported agencies come in to speak if you consider that harrassment. BM

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I gave to united way for years !!!! don't recall them asking me if I needed any thing during my little summer break in august of 97 :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing: