United Way

542thruNthru

Prove it.
3ArrowsPointingDown.gif

Slow down there lol.. It starts off as email. Then its group face to face then its personally with your manager/rep in corp.. Happens yearly. Then as they swear its optional, they isolate you from others and ask why you aren't participating. Then the pressure continues day after day and week after week until the campaign is over.. At least you dont end up at panel if you say "no". If we say no, we find ourselves being stared at and not promoted because we fail to embrace the UPS culture...

we have no choice.. i dont care what any salary body here tries to tell anyone. Zero participation is not an answer. The reports get ran daily and passed to the SR Manager. That manager adds those names "BCC" to an email and claims its voluntary yet its clear when raises or promotions come around you arent in the running period.

FEGuy

"Participation" does not mean donation. If you return a card, you have participated in the United Way campaign that year. The card can say "no thanks" or $0 dollars donated, and that is "participation'.
So, you're wrong there.
Also, if you felt pressured and gave money, shame on you. What you should have said is stop telling me how to spend my personal money or I'll get HR involved. End of discussion.
So, you're wrong there, too.

NOBODY is ever forced to give. As I said before, if that is what you are alleging, prove it. Telling me someone or other "talked to you" about giving is not proof.
I worked at UPS for 35 years. Nobody ever forced me to donate to United Way. I guess I am just a unicorn. Everyone else at the company was forced to do so. Think of the odds.

542thruNthru

"Participation" does not mean donation. If you return a card, you have participated in the United Way campaign that year. The card can say "no thanks" or $0 dollars donated, and that is "participation'.
So, you're wrong there.
Also, if you felt pressured and gave money, shame on you. What you should have said is stop telling me how to spend my personal money or I'll get HR involved. End of discussion.

NOBODY is ever forced to give. As I said before, if that is what you are alleging, prove it. Telling me someone or other "talked to you" about giving is not proof.
I worked at UPS for 35 years. Nobody ever forced me to donate to United Way. I guess I am just a unicorn. Everyone else at the company was forced to do so. Think of the odds.
Ok

oldngray

nowhere special
So, you're wrong there.

participated.jpg

Karma...

I remember when we actually had United Way people come and give presentations....We would code the time off as Training ....a few weeks later we would get lists of people who didnt contribute and they would be brought in for a little talk and counseling with their manager and a U.W representative with the steward outside the door...

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I remember when we actually had United Way people come and give presentations....We would code the time off as Training ....a few weeks later we would get lists of people who didnt contribute and they would be brought in for a little talk and counseling with their manager and a U.W representative with the steward outside the door...
Its a shake down

Cloud

United Way is such a scam. They have somehow infiltrated every corporation since they did the exact same crap with the 2 other previous companies I worked for. Tipping the preloader that loads your truck perfectly would go 100x further than donating to a national blackhole.

SafetyFirst

And a lot of the time all they do is disperse money to smaller more locally focused charities after taking their cut anyway.

They haven't started the full court press at my building yet. Always so annoying having to tell three people no.