UPS Rising just announced it PASSED by Default.

Mooseknuckle

If you read the constitution it says quite clearly that a vote can not be brought to the membership unless it is deemed a "final offer."

Everyone is getting it backwards. They don't deem it a final offer after the votes are tallied. It is deemed a final offer the second it is asked to be voted on.

This automatically envokes the 50/66 clause.

The IBT knew it. Seems like no one else caught it.
Show me where?

YoungerBrasherSmarterer

Fistin' the air
Show me where?
From the IBT Constitution:

Area, Multi-Area, Multi-Employer, National,
Company-wide or Industry-wide Contracts
Section 2(a). If a majority of the affiliated Local
Unions vote to participate in area, multi-area, national,
multi-employer, company-wide, or industry-wide negotiations
for an area, multi-area, national, multi-employer,
company-wide, or industry-wide agreement (hereinafter
“master agreement”), all involved affiliated Local
Unions shall comprise a multi-union unit, be bound by
such vote, must participate in such master agreement
bargaining and shall be bound by the agreement
approved as provided below. Upon completion of negotiations
by any committee designated as hereinafter set
forth to engage in negotiations of a master agreement,
such agreement shall be submitted to the membership
involved in such negotiations for their approval or rejection
as the final offer in accordance with Section 2(d)
herein.

Last sentence.

Trailer monkey

Everyone should stop paying dues and opt out of the union if they impose this POS. The Teamsters Hoffa Taylor pieces of FN garbage penalizing those who care enough to vote is unfathomable. They have known for decades that low voter participation historically happens at UPS.

NO one is a scab. Paying Teamsters to fire you, cut your benefits, divide the membership and create inferior jobs is not worthy of any dues. Actually, Hoffa and Taylor are the scabs, criminals, and hypocrites. Company Controlled Union
You would be giving UPS exactly what they want, Don't be friend-n stupid! The contract sucks and the leadership sucks and they both need replaced. Getting rid of the union assures that we get rid of everything.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you read the constitution it says quite clearly that a vote can not be brought to the membership unless it is deemed a "final offer."

Everyone is getting it backwards. They don't deem it a final offer after the votes are tallied. It is deemed a final offer the second it is asked to be voted on.

This automatically envokes the 50/66 clause.

The IBT knew it. Seems like no one else caught it.

I can't find any way to refute this. I guess I didn't read it carefully enough before.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If true, that may lead to an NLRB investigation. They would be in violation of their own constitution.

I hate to have to go back on this, but after rereading the constitution, it seems they did not violate it. I don't think there is anything to be done about the master, it's a done deal. We've got some work to do on the supplementals that didn't pass, though.

I hate to have to go back on this, but after rereading the constitution, it seems they did not violate it. I don't think there is anything to be done about the master, it's a done deal. We've got some work to do on the supplementals that didn't pass, though.

We had the opportunity to take it out of their hands, we failed. Sad day for sure.

Mooseknuckle

From the IBT Constitution:

Area, Multi-Area, Multi-Employer, National,
Company-wide or Industry-wide Contracts
Section 2(a). If a majority of the affiliated Local
Unions vote to participate in area, multi-area, national,
multi-employer, company-wide, or industry-wide negotiations
for an area, multi-area, national, multi-employer,
company-wide, or industry-wide agreement (hereinafter
“master agreement”), all involved affiliated Local
Unions shall comprise a multi-union unit, be bound by
such vote, must participate in such master agreement
bargaining and shall be bound by the agreement
approved as provided below. Upon completion of negotiations
by any committee designated as hereinafter set
forth to engage in negotiations of a master agreement,
such agreement shall be submitted to the membership
involved in such negotiations for their approval or rejection
as the final offer in accordance with Section 2(d)
herein.

Last sentence.
Left out section 2(d)?

What page? I'll read it myself.

542thruNthru

Ohhhhh....bunch of tough guys are scared now and I can't reply.

la-dee-da.gif

YoungerBrasherSmarterer

Fistin' the air
I just wonder, with all the back and forth on here, how that distinction didn't come up, or how I missed it. Gonna take all night to pull my foot out of my mouth. Props to @YoungerBrasherSmarterer.
Don't beat yourself up too bad. I've been arguing the opposite for months now too. EVERYONE but the IBT missed this apparently.

They knew the damage this clause would do. It's just plain awful. That's why they spent so much time, money and effort to get a yes vote.

My only question: Why does this clause even exist???

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Don't beat yourself up too bad. I've been arguing the opposite for months now too. EVERYONE but the IBT missed this apparently.

They knew the damage this clause would do. It's just plain awful. That's why they spent so much time, money and effort to get a yes vote.

I think this vote gives you an answer to that question. It was a foregone conclusion. The real question is why push so hard for a yes vote when it's nearly impossible to vote it down?

It really doesn't matter, 50% isn't so tall of an order. I'd bet 50%+ know what their copay is, and I'm damn sure they know when pay day is.