UPS to become the Sears & Robuck Of shipping??

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It ran at night in Arizona…with a chaser car following from behind. let’s try that same thing in LA traffic, through Wyoming during high winds or over I-80 in the snow…this is a criminals wet dream..one car get infront of the semi and slow it down so much that the rig stops..another vehicle Backs to the rear and pops the lock and starts unloading cargo… rig has sensors that notify dispatch that there’s a problem and by the time police get out there criminal are gone…it will be like the Wild West again when bandits hijacked trains and stagecoaches. Theres going to be many problems with this technology, and I’m not just talking about the actual tech.. but how people deal with it.. I personally dont think it’s going to be pretty.
I see an opportunity
“safe trailers”

Overpaid Union Thug

"New reports examine Amazon’s strained ‘employment machine’ and alleged race problem - GeekWire" New reports examine Amazon’s strained ‘employment machine’ and alleged race problem - GeekWire
Sounds like the usual false claims of racism to me. This younger workforce is already entitled beyond repair. EVERYTHINGis racist to them.
They could be averaging 1 stop an hour. Clearly they don’t care about efficiency, not yet anyways. They will write off any and all loses as a business expense just like they’ve done from their inception. Their lack of concern over this fact really is what should concern all of us.
They care. But aren’t good at it yet. They run their drivers hard but the warehouse workers are mostly doing chill, but tedious work.

Sounds like the usual false claims of racism to me. This younger workforce is already entitled beyond repair. EVERYTHINGis racist to them.

They care. But aren’t good at it yet. They run their drivers hard but the warehouse workers are mostly doing chill, but tedious work.
I was just showing their high turnover rate for employees which is over 150%

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It’s slowly, VERY slowly, changing but not on track to replace a substantial amount of people. Which was my point.

I’ve worked in lots of manufacturing jobs that has robotics. None of them were reliable enough to warrant adding more. And still aren’t and it’s been as long as twenty years since I worked in one that had them. They break down too much and end up costing too much production time and maintenance people are is often not available for other tasks because most plants won’t have a dedicated robotics expert for that amount of robots.

There are plenty of reliable robotic systems out there. Just not on a scale that warrants any panic. And their effect on manning is often comparable to what’s happened in some retail stores that have self check out lanes. Less check out people but, numerically, those stores often have the same amount of employees because now they’re accommodating curbside pickup or in store pickups.
So OUT, seriously, how much time do I realistically have driving this brown turd around before I get handed the walking papers…I need to go a couple more years… mrs. Cold wants me to go for 10 more ( seriously WTF)…I want the robots to get here in 3 years… can you at least promise me that???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Rather than debate all this, I'll just give you a number:

About 3 million industrial robots exist in the US today in major manufacturing. There was a 12% increase in FY 2019....
China and Japan are way beyond that number. (Source: International Federation of Robotics)

You might consider that the existing model is changing...
If you think the rank and file will be the only ones loosing their jobs you be crazy…management will be leaving in droves also…will be no need for you… fair is fair..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I stopped one about a week ago and said excuse me You are delivering the packages on the wrong street.
He just looked at me shrugged his shoulders and left
They don’t care… had a pkg say delivered but I never received it… waited two days and put a claim in and they sent me out a new item…the next day my neighbor brought over the original delivery and said their son found it on their porch and threw it into their garage… so now I have 2 products… I don’t care how big you are, you can’t keep on doing that over and over…also, scammers are catching on to this and doing it on purpose…

They don’t care… had a pkg say delivered but I never received it… waited two days and put a claim in and they sent me out a new item…the next day my neighbor brought over the original delivery and said their son found it on their porch and threw it into their garage… so now I have 2 products… I don’t care how big you are, you can’t keep on doing that over and over…also, scammers are catching on to this and doing it on purpose…
But they are still making money hand over fist

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You see bezos pic on new years??
1641172395218.jpeg
Lmao

Overpaid Union Thug

So OUT, seriously, how much time do I realistically have driving this brown turd around before I get handed the walking papers…I need to go a couple more years… mrs. Cold wants me to go for 10 more ( seriously WTF)…I want the robots to get here in 3 years… can you at least promise me that???
I think we’re safe for the foreseeable future. Some of these younger guys…not so much. But they have UPS losing market share to worry about more than robots or any of that crap.
If you think the rank and file will be the only ones loosing their jobs you be crazy…management will be leaving in droves also…will be no need for you… fair is fair..
Amazon has already been aggressively going after UPS and FedEx management at all levels. They’ve managed to take many so far.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think we’re safe for the foreseeable future. Some of these younger guys…not so much. But they have UPS losing market share to worry about more than robots or any of that crap.

Amazon has already been aggressively going after UPS and FedEx management at all levels. They’ve managed to take many so far.
Boo…wasn’t what I wanted to hear…I wanted to see the robot armies be rolling in sooner than later.. oh well… happy 2022 bud… you are one of the true players on this site… keep up the shenanigans and good health you you and the family!

Overpaid Union Thug

So did Airborne and DHL. How they make out.
That’s an utterly horrible comparison. DHL failed fast and hard. Amazon is taking market share away from multiple sectors and will rival the fictional “Buy N Large” in the near future if no one stops them.