UPS to become the Sears & Robuck Of shipping??

quad decade guy

Each one of those requires a sizable crew of people just to monitor and maintain them. In addition to the small crew involved in flying them. They can be hacked rather easily by plenty of what we would consider third world adversaries. Automated delivery vehicles and drones will be even easier.

At best automated vehicles/drones could supplement a human workforce on a small scale. But will never be viable enough to replace enough people to justify the cost involved with maintaining them. Similar to why robotics haven’t replaced allot of factory workers yet. Even warehouse workers haven’t been replaced yet and that is a rather straight forward operation.
Bravo!

BrownStains

Ups drivers will be last humans out there with the robots.Really though By the time ups has that technology every other company will too and everybody will be replaced by robots even Management because the robots can make their own decisions.

UPSER1987

Do they have a system to preload the PCs ?
No, then it's just more volume to back up the belts, as usual.
Obviously not.

But there is more than just a preloading lol. You could eliminate tons of unload jobs on both the preload and hub shifts with this type of system.

quad decade guy

Do they have a system to preload the PCs ?
No, then it's just more volume to back up the belts, as usual.
Exactly.

I watched it all the way through. Then what?

One guy working 7 trailers.....not one problem.

First problem I see.....did you notice all the boxes were perfectly intact and synchronized? All square and rectangular. Sturdy.

Nice and predictable.....yeah.....

charm299

The record profits are convoluted due to the fact that the majority of those profits came from Covid -vaccines and we are charging the government premium dollar on those packages. Not to mention in our center probably about 60% of our deliveries are Amazon once they finally take the rest of their stuff and get their shipping company up and running that will change The whole shipping industry. this year we had lost a lot of air volume and it’s funny we will go to the airport to pick up our volume I watch Amazon run like a fine oiled machine as we look like a bunch of chickens with our heads cut off trying to unload three planes I’m just utterly lost for words never knew this was happening.
A fine oiled machine? I watched an Amazon driver from down the street deliver 1 stop of a 3 dollar pack of tie wraps at the same time I delivered 5 stops and I was taking my time

Overpaid Union Thug

A fine oiled machine? I watched an Amazon driver from down the street deliver 1 stop of a 3 dollar pack of tie wraps at the same time I delivered 5 stops and I was taking my time
Sometimes it takes longer for them because they pull each of their stops out of a collapsible cube/tote when they get there. They typically don’t pull them out ahead of time and line them up and sort them. I see them changing that soon though. The cube/tote system isn’t necessarily bad. But it could be tweaked.

Sometimes it takes longer for them because they pull each of their stops out of a collapsible cube/tote when they get there. They typically don’t pull them out ahead of time and line them up and sort them. I see them changing that soon though. The cube/tote system isn’t necessarily bad. But it could be tweaked.
I do see them driving around with a ton of packages in the front seat and on the dashboard

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The dashboard is their sorting section.

My sister-in-law applied for an Amazon driver's job, she thinks they will start her this week. I tried to tell her. They have all these drivers already trained for Peak and will probably call them back first. Plus she is 60 and not in the best shape. In other family news, my youngest son bought an Altima the other day. I'm glad that dealer sold that damn Prius before he got there! :)

The dashboard is their sorting section.

My sister-in-law applied for an Amazon driver's job, she thinks they will start her this week. I tried to tell her. They have all these drivers already trained for Peak and will probably call them back first. Plus she is 60 and not in the best shape. In other family news, my youngest son bought an Altima the other day. I'm glad that dealer sold that damn Prius before he got there! :)
Hopefully it has all the bells and whistles

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully it has all the bells and whistles
Heated seats, sunroof, its loaded like my Mercedes. He is still in seventh heaven. He was wanting a Prius to help save the planet, I kept explaining to him that he would seldom drive under 25 mph for the electrics to kick in. I think a Prius is about the ugliest car ever designed, they drive like crap but do get 48-50 mpg. He is not a car guy in anyway, I'm just happy he got a loaded regular-looking car. I was sad to sell my old 2002 Chevy pickup yesterday that I had given to him. That was a good vehicle and now I don't have a truck.

Heated seats, sunroof, its loaded up like my Mercedes. He is still in seventh heaven. He was wanting a Prius to help save the planet, I kept explaining to him that he would seldom drive under 25 mph for the electrics to kick in. I think a Prius is about the ugliest car ever designed, they drive like crap but do get 48-50 mpg. He is not a car guy in anyway, I'm just happy he got a loaded regular looking car. I was sad to sell my old 2002 Chevy pickup yesterday that I had given to him. That was a good vehicle and now I don't have a truck.
You just need a nice golf cart with lots of cargo room for the beer and wine

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You just need a nice golf cart with lots of cargo room for the beer and wine
I do have the fold-down rear seat to haul stuff around the neighborhood events that require chairs and containers to hold various adult beverages. I did tie an 8-foot stepladder to my roof once to install a neighbors ceiling fan. I just don't have a lot of parking space for an extra vehicle that I don't really need anymore. If I really need a truck, I can go to Lowes or Home Depot and rent one for $20.

I do have the fold-down rear seat to haul stuff around the neighborhood events that require chairs and containers to hold various adult beverages. I did tie an 8-foot stepladder to my roof once to install a neighbors ceiling fan. I just don't have a lot of parking space for an extra vehicle that I don't really need anymore. If I really need a truck, I can go to Lowes or Home Depot and rent one for $20.
Exactly don't spend money on something you don't need anymore
Enjoy those retirement years it is well deserved my friend

Last edited:

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
They could be averaging 1 stop an hour. Clearly they don’t care about efficiency, not yet anyways. They will write off any and all loses as a business expense just like they’ve done from their inception. Their lack of concern over this fact really is what should concern all of us.

quad decade guy

They could be averaging 1 stop an hour. Clearly they don’t care about efficiency, not yet anyways. They will write off any and all loses as a business expense just like they’ve done from their inception. Their lack of concern over this fact really is what should concern all of us.
They will have to eventually make money.

Consider: think how much money UPS would make if we were paid similarly to Amazon. Fed-Ex too.

Now, I'm not suggesting this, but asked you to consider it.

That, I believe is our future or oblivion. We'll see.

"New reports examine Amazon’s strained ‘employment machine’ and alleged race problem - GeekWire" New reports examine Amazon’s strained ‘employment machine’ and alleged race problem - GeekWire

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hardly.

We will be replaced. Sure of that. Not by drones or droids though.

Most likely by these illegal migrants streaming across our borders.

Cheap, low cost labor with free health care(Govt provided).

Smearing me won't change anything. Hating me won't either. Nor being indifferent(shrugging shoulders).

My part is nearly over. I did my 40 year sentence. You.....I'm forced to care nothing about.
Did somebody force you to do a “ 40 year sentence” your words not mine

There are other ways but you would think I was bullying if I went into it