UPS to become the Sears & Robuck Of shipping??

quad decade guy

That is because you think ORION was being used to aid (/control/reduce mileage) drivers vs it's true intentions. ORION is a data collection database that will be used to automate vehicles. It's current iteration is not what it will eventually be used for and they rename it and make it seem better--but it's true purpose is a data repository to get rid of your wages.

With enough data now the automated truck knows what to do for every single address at any given time.
Man.....hook, line and sinker.

Really?

A manned delivery vehicle still has trouble getting the box to the destination.

Automated truck? They don't exist. Now. Or even in the near future. This is pure fantasy.

Any given time....lololol.

You guys equate a drone bought at Walmart, zip tying a piece of gum to it and delivering to a friend as "Automated delivery".

We are light years from "An automated truck knowing what to do at any given time" not mentioning getting a 150# box to the door.

Light years.

quad decade guy

Yeah they just put in an order for 20 767s because we’re going out of business, lolol. While I do agree the loss of big accounts is somewhat puzzling, UPS isn’t going anywhere.
Well, aircraft procurements are always announced....see how many are delivered.

This is way more complicated than eyes can see.

Did you consider 20 other now in use aircraft will be retired?

Taxes. Bookkeeping. Finance.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's way too early to be hitting my eyes with the color red.
Here’s some more soothing colors.
2D73BBED-B80D-445F-8D72-658F740DBB1E.png

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
AMZN’s business model is continuing to be a front end more than like a Walmart.
Small/Medium Companies are flocking to them for their overwhelming presence.
PVDs or something similar will slowly overtake the fat-gorged last mile delivery services like UPS & FDX.
It’s a matter of $, not emotions.

UPSER1987

Really?

Automated truck? They don't exist. Now. Or even in the near future. This is pure fantasy.

You guys equate a drone bought at Walmart, zip tying a piece of gum to it and delivering to a friend as "Automated delivery".

We are light years from "An automated truck knowing what to do at any given time" not mentioning getting a 150# box to the door.

Light years.
Another guy with his head in the sand.

Shrugs shoulders.

quad decade guy

UPS won't fail because drivers have beards or their shoes aren't polished or they are pushed (harassed) to meet requirements that boomer drivers never were so they can't provide the same level of service.

It will partially fail because they allowed a new competitor to grow. A complete management failure along the lines of Blockbuster not buying or stopping Netflix. They subsidized Amazon building a delivery service by charging such low rates and then once they found out they were going to be a competitor not a customer: they still allowed them to use the service piecemeal (choosing to give UPS their rural and less profitable deliveries). They instead should have cut them off at their knees all at once during a customer sensitive time--like peak season. So instead of saying you want to roll out a competing delivery service: you better do it overnight--UPS let them slowly build and scale through even today.

So UPS isn't going to fail--but it will evolve into a different smaller footprint company. Centers will be automated--those that can't merged. Teamsters will accept more "best contract ever's" until those contracts are shells of what they once were--PVD will become contractually legal and 22.4's expanded so anyone hired after a certain date automatically goes that route. I tell all the boomers and vets there that they will eventually be replaced by self driving technology and faster then they think and a driver's helper will man the trucks to deliver and for small packages load the drones that will be controlled remotely OR they will be replaced by PVD's that are independent contractors. Which means goodbye Teamsters.

Drivers like to complain about the younger ones--but they are at fault for why management can step all over the younger ones. I see it every day. They are the ones in at 4:30 while the last guy is pulling in 10 mins before the air car leaves to drop off and go back out. And they wonder why the new ones don't respect them or their way of doing things.
So, there will be a "manned" automated delivery vehicle?

No.

Drone's? LOLOLOLOL.

UPS will not have a person watching a drone work.

Do you realize or even have a remotely accurate idea of how big a delivery truck would have to be to support automated droids and drones? Think about it. Loading apparatus, docks etc. And A.I.......the droid/drone would have to be completely autonomous. Being able to "think" it's way in any scenario....or would quickly come to a halt without human intervention.

See? Does that sound like anything we have now or in 100 years? No.

Now, will we be replaced by low cost workers? You bet!

This is pure fantasy.....even into the near/medium future.

quad decade guy

Another guy with his head in the sand.

Shrugs shoulders.
Hardly.

We will be replaced. Sure of that. Not by drones or droids though.

Most likely by these illegal migrants streaming across our borders.

Cheap, low cost labor with free health care(Govt provided).

Smearing me won't change anything. Hating me won't either. Nor being indifferent(shrugging shoulders).

My part is nearly over. I did my 40 year sentence. You.....I'm forced to care nothing about.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra

Really?

Light years.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It ran at night in Arizona…with a chaser car following from behind. let’s try that same thing in LA traffic, through Wyoming during high winds or over I-80 in the snow…this is a criminals wet dream..one car get infront of the semi and slow it down so much that the rig stops..another vehicle Backs to the rear and pops the lock and starts unloading cargo… rig has sensors that notify dispatch that there’s a problem and by the time police get out there criminal are gone…it will be like the Wild West again when bandits hijacked trains and stagecoaches. Theres going to be many problems with this technology, and I’m not just talking about the actual tech.. but how people deal with it.. I personally dont think it’s going to be pretty.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
It ran at night in Arizona…with a chaser car following from behind. let’s try that same thing in LA traffic, through Wyoming during high winds or over I-80 in the snow…this is a criminals wet dream..one car get infront of the semi and slow it down so much that the rig stops..another vehicle Backs to the rear and pops the lock and starts unloading cargo… rig has sensors that notify dispatch that there’s a problem and by the time police get out there criminal are gone…it will be like the Wild West again when bandits hijacked trains and stagecoaches. Theres going to be many problems with this technology, and I’m not just talking about the actual tech.. but how people deal with it.. I personally dont think it’s going to be pretty.
LOL....The things you bring up are minor challenges that will be overcome.
Give it some time. Look how far military UCAVs have come and not just the Israeli Kochav and US Reaper....

Overpaid Union Thug

LOL....The things you bring up are minor challenges that will be overcome.
Give it some time. Look how far military UCAVs have come and not just the Israeli Kochav and US Reaper....
Each one of those requires a sizable crew of people just to monitor and maintain them. In addition to the small crew involved in flying them. They can be hacked rather easily by plenty of what we would consider third world adversaries. Automated delivery vehicles and drones will be even easier.

At best automated vehicles/drones could supplement a human workforce on a small scale. But will never be viable enough to replace enough people to justify the cost involved with maintaining them. Similar to why robotics haven’t replaced allot of factory workers yet. Even warehouse workers haven’t been replaced yet and that is a rather straight forward operation.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Each one of those requires a sizable crew of people just to monitor and maintain them. In addition to the small crew involved in flying them. They can be hacked rather easily by plenty of what we would consider third world adversaries. Automated delivery vehicles and drones will be even easier.

At best automated vehicles/drones could supplement a human workforce on a small scale. But will never be viable enough to replace enough people to justify the cost involved with maintaining them. Similar to why robotics haven’t replaced allot of factory workers yet. Even warehouse workers haven’t been replaced yet and that is a rather straight forward operation.
Rather than debate all this, I'll just give you a number:

About 3 million industrial robots exist in the US today in major manufacturing. There was a 12% increase in FY 2019....
China and Japan are way beyond that number. (Source: International Federation of Robotics)

You might consider that the existing model is changing...

Overpaid Union Thug

About 3 million industrial robots exist in the US today in major manufacturing. There was a 12% increase in FY 2019....
China and Japan are way beyond that number. (Source: International Federation of Robotics)

It’s slowly, VERY slowly, changing but not on track to replace a substantial amount of people. Which was my point.

I’ve worked in lots of manufacturing jobs that has robotics. None of them were reliable enough to warrant adding more. And still aren’t and it’s been as long as twenty years since I worked in one that had them. They break down too much and end up costing too much production time and maintenance people are is often not available for other tasks because most plants won’t have a dedicated robotics expert for that amount of robots.

There are plenty of reliable robotic systems out there. Just not on a scale that warrants any panic. And their effect on manning is often comparable to what’s happened in some retail stores that have self check out lanes. Less check out people but, numerically, those stores often have the same amount of employees because now they’re accommodating curbside pickup or in store pickups.

quad decade guy

Right.

Rather than debate...because you lose...

You change the subject. You start talking about manufacturing. Delivery is the subject.

Think about....aw never mind.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
So, there will be a "manned" automated delivery vehicle?

No.

Drone's? LOLOLOLOL.

UPS will not have a person watching a drone work.

Do you realize or even have a remotely accurate idea of how big a delivery truck would have to be to support automated droids and drones? Think about it. Loading apparatus, docks etc. And A.I.......the droid/drone would have to be completely autonomous. Being able to "think" it's way in any scenario....or would quickly come to a halt without human intervention.

See? Does that sound like anything we have now or in 100 years? No.

Now, will we be replaced by low cost workers? You bet!

This is pure fantasy.....even into the near/medium future.
Sound like anything in 100 years? You can't even make a guess as to what will be day to day in 2121. Do you think anyone in 1921 foresaw the technological leaps of a century? I don't know, 20 to 30 years max to have this stuff perfected. Even a decade is a long time in technology advancement. You might think that the phone in your hand now isn't that different than 10 years ago, it absolutely is. Cars, TVs, etc etc.

Upser777

You use DR bags
After working for this company for more than 33 years I am utterly shellshocked at the reputation this company has Now. Between people complaining about how packages are late and/or missed delivered not to mention just leaving them at the door after business hours what has happened? we are losing big shippers left and right and no one seems to care And of course we don’t even look professional out there anymore. It’s truly disheartening and with all of the new competition out there it’s hard to believe UPS can be competitive considering where the highest priced in the industry with such a piss poor service with that being said I truly believe this new contract will tell a lot about the direction this company will be going. But I truly believe in the end if we don’t change your ways we will become the Sears & Robuck of the shipping industry bankrupt!!!
I personally feel UPS needs to innovate more and its biggest threat is definitely Amazon (The elephant in the room).Not because their shipping is better, but because Amazon has a monopoly on the E-Commerce world and the US with its inept congress is not doing anything about it (Google what happened to Diapers.com and and Zappos just to name a few). China broke down Alibaba in eight months, while the US sits iddle with Amazon and its E-Commerce monopoly. Amazon got Gadgets like Amazon ring and Alexa that collects so much information from users that is not even funny. Small busineses getting destroyed left and right in our communities simply because they lack the resources and technology to compete with this mamoth. If no regulation is passed, then yes, I'm afraid we will have a bleak future because they control the E-Commerce.

quad decade guy

Sound like anything in 100 years? You can't even make a guess as to what will be day to day in 2121. Do you think anyone in 1921 foresaw the technological leaps of a century? I don't know, 20 to 30 years max to have this stuff perfected. Even a decade is a long time in technology advancement. You might think that the phone in your hand now isn't that different than 10 years ago, it absolutely is. Cars, TVs, etc etc.
Day to day?

So, you are saying.....20-30 years...max....we will have human level A.I. Totally autonomous deliveries without human intervention? Drones/droids like in Star Wars movie? Maybe I Robot?

Really?

Just totally autonomous UPS/USPS/AMAZON vehicles going about their business.

BTW, war was fought the same as 1921-1941. And airplanes basically still operate on the same basic principals as do guns.

Phones are different. True. But they aren't autonomous....under any stretch of imagination.

Hey man, we have bat poop crazies looking to get rid of jet fuel......with no replacement.

Say, can you imagine 2 UPS autonomous feeders exchanging trailers at a meet point....in 20 years? One's late, the other has lighting problems....

Now, think hard about that. Or one hits a deer....how does the autonomous vehicle assess the damage? Droid gets out and looks at it? Beams back the images to another droid? See? And the autonomous tow truck arrives....lololol.

Yes, it is so far fetched(based on anything now or foreseeable future) as to be laughable.