UPS to become the Sears & Robuck Of shipping??

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Denial is real bad at UPS. I’m guilty of Amazon denial myself. But it was before they actually became a threat. Once they physically accomplished it I couldn’t deny what my eyes were seeing.

I don’t think the article about FedEx jumping ahead of us is 100% accurate if its including the freight industry though. Which we’re not even in anymore. I’d like to see the apples to apples comparison. Either way we’re not totally screwed yet. It would help allot of the government put the brakes on Amazon (not counting on that) but even better if Americans would wake up. Not counting on that either. That leaves smart decisions by UPS. Unfortunately I think Tome has gone the route of one of the basic principles every business major learns in college. Make as much money now with what little time you have and move on with little or no regard for future growth.
Sad thing about the public and their perception of Amazon, is that they view them as an amazing company/service that they can’t live without.

It isn’t till Amazon threatens their industry that they’ll wake up, but similar to us it will be too late then.

UPS needs to dramatically shift away from Amazon and attempt to 100% move forward without them. It’s headed that way regardless so let’s just screw them over the little we can on the way out.

My building use to average between 15K and 20k of Amazon a day being dropped off by their feeder network. Most days now we have less then 400 and a lot of times it’s zero.

The unions estimate when Amazon fully vacates our network is that it will be at the cost of 30K jobs. Also unionizing Amazon is about survivability of the Union….not us. Time for us to also discuss that.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sad thing about the public and their perception of Amazon, is that they view them as an amazing company/service that they can’t live without.

It isn’t till Amazon threatens their industry that they’ll wake up, but similar to us it will be too late then.

That’s so pathetic. On the part of retailers that sell on Amazon and on consumers. Retailers are getting screwed by Amazon and consumers are often overpaying. Both are contributing to the growth of a tech tyrant that’s also a little to cozy with the CCP
UPS needs to dramatically shift away from Amazon and attempt to 100% move forward without them. It’s headed that way regardless so let’s just screw them over the little we can on the way out.

My building use to average between 15K and 20k of Amazon a day being dropped off by their feeder network. Most days now we have less then 400 and a lot of times it’s zero.

The unions estimate when Amazon fully vacates our network is that it will be at the cost of 30K jobs. Also unionizing Amazon is about survivability of the Union….not us. Time for us to also discuss that.
I seriously doubt any effort to unionize Amazon would ever take shape. Most Americans are anti-union and too lazy and short sided to do anything anyway. Hence the demand for Amazon.

BrownStains

If amazon bought ups they would eliminate the union and just bring in their scab contractor people to do the work and the union workers could be eliminated. The union views amazon as a threat to their membership . A majority of the teamsters are Upsers so if they lose ups they lose big.

What'dyabringmetoday???

my previous employer that I worked for for 22 years, Went public. with in 8 years all the short cuts to make the company look good to the investors caught up to them. All their shortcuts cost them their good people,inventory,and customers. The shell of the company was sold. I see the same thing happening with ups now. The next contract will be very interesting
Just do like UpstateNYUPSer- stash away $140,000 and live a life of luxury when the doors shut. Lol.

quad decade guy

If amazon bought ups they would eliminate the union and just bring in their scab contractor people to do the work and the union workers could be eliminated. The union views amazon as a threat to their membership . A majority of the teamsters are Upsers so if they lose ups they lose big.
Uh yeah.
Not could but would be eliminated.

quad decade guy

Denial is real bad at UPS. I’m guilty of Amazon denial myself. But it was before they actually became a threat. Once they physically accomplished it I couldn’t deny what my eyes were seeing.

I don’t think the article about FedEx jumping ahead of us is 100% accurate if its including the freight industry though. Which we’re not even in anymore. I’d like to see the apples to apples comparison. Either way we’re not totally screwed yet. It would help allot of the government put the brakes on Amazon (not counting on that) but even better if Americans would wake up. Not counting on that either. That leaves smart decisions by UPS. Unfortunately I think Tome has gone the route of one of the basic principles every business major learns in college. Make as much money now with what little time you have and move on with little or no regard for future growth.
Hi,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You know this how...precisely?

Whither

Scofflaw
The pandemic, much like the recession did, forced allot of companies to look for cost cutting measures. One of the first things they always look at is shipping. We’ve lost allot of volume to FedEx and the USPS and the resi volume is falling like a ton of bricks and won’t stop anytime soon.
Falling like a ton of bricks?! The past two years at my building we've had heavy resi volume from March to July and then of course again throughout peak. What, are you pushing brooms year round to get your 8 at your building?
Fighting for what we deserve is justified but demanding more while our employer is on a definite decline is cutting our own throats. I’d rather slow down increases in our wages and benefits, both of which are already superior to that of the majority of Americans in labor jobs, than contribute to the decline by making us less competitive. These record profits don’t mean a thing for our pensions if the company keeps shrinking and less people are contributing to the pot. Eventually those pension plans will have more people taking than contributing.
If you think Amazon and FedEx have "won" and UPS is on the way out, then -- with all due respect -- you're a fool to urge caution. In that case we should try to take this company for all its got before the deed is done. That would be a much better rainy day plan than asking us to be "reasonable," e.g., this is the same type of rationale that allowed UPS to convert most of its employment into poorly-paid part-time jobs and got us the 22.4 position. And it certainly will not save our pensions. Besides: unless us lowly hourlies take over the company (I'm not holding my breath :wink2:), corporate brass is going to keep on chasing whatever business stratagems they fancy. Their plans may well be short-sighted. If so, ours should be too. Why would you leave money on the table when you think the table is smoldering?

I’d rather slow down increases in our wages and benefits, both of which are already superior to that of the majority of Americans in labor jobs, than contribute to the decline by making us less competitive.
"Us"? Who are you talking about? This isn't the partners forum, here we are just workers who happen to be employed by the company.

Overpaid Union Thug

Falling like a ton of bricks?! The past two years at my building we've had heavy resi volume from March to July and then of course again throughout peak. What, are you pushing brooms year round to get your 8 at your building?
Would have more if it weren’t for lost volume to FedEx/Amazon. That was then. Now we are losing more than we’re gaining.
If you think Amazon and FedEx have "won" and UPS is on the way out, then -- with all due respect -- you're a fool to urge caution. In that case we should try to take this company for all its got before the deed is done. That would be a much better rainy day plan than asking us to be "reasonable," e.g., this is the same type of rationale that allowed UPS to convert most of its employment into poorly-paid part-time jobs and got us the 22.4 position. And it certainly will not save our pensions. Besides: unless us lowly hourlies take over the company (I'm not holding my breath :wink2:), corporate brass is going to keep on chasing whatever business stratagems they fancy. Their plans may well be short-sighted. If so, ours should be too. Why would you leave money on the table when you think the table is smoldering?
Sounds like you’ve given up. Just like our CEO. I mean there’s really nothing we can do about it but but one would think that most people would want the company they work for to continue to succeed and grow to secure pension contributions rather than fail.

22.4s we’re created by union membership apathy and a union regime that didn’t really want to negotiate any further. Not by people that want their healthy pensions for the foreseeable future. And that doesn’t mean we want pay cuts. I know I don’t.
"Us"? Who are you talking about? This isn't the partners forum, here we are just workers who happen to be employed by the company.
It’s US because the company wouldn’t exist without both the corporate structure and its employees.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How much volume is being push to the post office every year??? Millions of residential stops…they are bringing mashers full of pkgs to them in some cities..

Whither

Scofflaw
Would have more if it weren’t for lost volume to FedEx/Amazon. That was then. Now we are losing more than we’re gaining.
Have you read any of the articles lately re: FedEx?
Sounds like you’ve given up. Just like our CEO.
My point missed you. I was saying, your train of thought -- "the company is doomed" -- does not encourage the kind of prudence you think it does. If it's the last hurrah, as you seem to say it is, then I say we shouldn't at all tread meekly.
I mean there’s really nothing we can do about it
Bingo! Not until the rank and file is ready to act, anyway ...
but one would think that most people would want the company they work for to continue to succeed and grow to secure pension contributions rather than fail.
One would think, but I hope one day workers manage to cast off this sham way of life and bring about the demise of all companies in anything like their current form. I'd be happy to trade my pension for that, and, in fact, the usual wisdom is not to count on it anyway since we're in a "race to the bottom."
And that doesn’t mean we want pay cuts. I know I don’t.
Good to hear. As long as we keep in mind that "raises" which don't account for inflation are also pay cuts.

It’s US because the company wouldn’t exist without both the corporate structure and its employees.
A sunday school lesson in labor-management relations delivered by a "union thug"?! Yowza.

Whither

Scofflaw
How much volume is being push to the post office every year??? Millions of residential stops…they are bringing mashers full of pkgs to them in some cities..
Yup, and with the IBT's backing, we could fight that based on Art 26 tomorrow since "the competition" has begun pulling out of its SmartPost service class ...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yup, and with the IBT's backing, we could fight that based on Art 26 tomorrow since "the competition" has begun pulling out of its SmartPost service class ...
Surepost is on the new IBT’s administration’s radar…se we’ll see what happens when OZ slate is officially in office in March