Vote count.

Integrity

Binge Poster
IMHO
Apathy through demoralization through lack of solidarity and lack of unity is a real problem with unionism today.

Selfishness and a materialistic, “how much money I make” culture is ultimately the cause of many of these problems within unions today.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
No worries, I'm really trying to work on keeping my posts shorter and clearer.

Members will listen to me if they have a vested interest in the issue. I'm working on gaining their trust by increasing my understanding. If they see me as someone who knows what he is talking about, then I will have better luck at convincing them to do things like vote.

At the core of the apathy, I believe, is members being overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of the contract, company policy, the law, and how they all interplay. Most people simply don't have the time or resources to commit to understanding their rights and responsibilities properly. I believe we could start to turn the tide on apathy by fighting for simplification, clarity, and consistency with the contract and its enforcement.

On a final note, I will say I sympathize with BA's. I understand that UPS is just one of the companies they have to deal with, and our contract is over 200 pages long, not to mention all the panel decisions and past practices that go along with it. I assume most other contracts aren't nearly as long, but that's still a lot of stuff for those guys to know and enforce.
Love this thought. I have a hard time finding what I need on the spot due to the shear volume of the contract, then add in a supplement and label every topic as vaguely as possible. I read the contract a lot, but to memorize it seems daunting. I feel like it’s not even in a logical order, just a huge amount of rules and loose ideas strewn over 200 pages.

Whither

Scofflaw
IMHO
Apathy through demoralization through lack of solidarity and lack of unity is a real problem with unionism today.

Selfishness and a materialistic, “how much money I make” culture is ultimately the cause of many of these problems within unions today.

In a world absolutely governed by money and production, I'm not sure what you expect. I, for one, think it would be splendid if all the PTers became ruthlessly 'selfish' and 'materialistic' and enjoyed full solidarity from the rest of us FTers. Talk of unity and solidarity rings hollow when a minority of us are able to afford decent lives while the majority dine on the scraps.

In a world absolutely governed by money and production, I'm not sure what you expect. I, for one, think it would be splendid if all the PTers became ruthlessly 'selfish' and 'materialistic' and enjoyed full solidarity from the rest of us FTers. Talk of unity and solidarity rings hollow when a minority of us are able to afford decent lives while the majority dine on the scraps.
Many of the part timers don't want to go out driving...

Integrity

Binge Poster
I need to think on this post before I comment further but I do have one question?

Are you and all that makes you a person including all your feelings, thoughts, and actions absolutely governed by money and production?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There's also an element of inertia involved. I think enough people are just fine with the way things are, or don't believe any changes , one way or the other, will make much difference, they have no reason to take action.

The reason I continue to point to leadership is because this sort of thing is right out of the totalitarianism play book. As long as the masses still have something to lose, they are not likely to risk making changes, or more likely to trust those in authority positions to make decisions. This is a herd mentality phenomenon. It is exploited by corrupt people in authority positions to do pretty much whatever they want. This is one reason why I put much of the responsibility on the shoulders of leadership.

I don't deny the accountability of the individual, however. It is just as much the responsibility of each person to do their civic duty, vote, be involved and keep the "leaders" honest. Those who don't are likely to reap what they sow, but they also drag those who are involved down with them.

In our own interests, what can we do to whip our fellow members into shape? How can we encourage more involvement? My main tactic is to try to win people over, one at a time as they each run into a situation that adversely impacts them. I help them through the situation, then I try to help them connect the dots between the situation that affected them and increasing their involvement. My thinking is that this will motivate them intrinsically because they have an experience to draw from that they will want to take action to avoid in the future. But this process is very slow going, so I am open to any other ideas.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Love this thought. I have a hard time finding what I need on the spot due to the shear volume of the contract, then add in a supplement and label every topic as vaguely as possible. I read the contract a lot, but to memorize it seems daunting. I feel like it’s not even in a logical order, just a huge amount of rules and loose ideas strewn over 200 pages.

Been toying around with the idea of making a quick reference guide/index/concordance to make it easier to find language in the contract. It would also include explanations on the interpretations of the language, hopefully with references to applicable panel and arbitration decisions. This is something I think would be cool to organize and divvy up different sections to anyone interested in helping. If anyone likes the idea and wants to help, let me know.

Whither

Scofflaw
Many of the part timers don't want to go out driving...

Isn't this a moot point? Even if they did, there were not be enough driving positions. Regardless, it's only the arbitrary whims of the market and contractual agreements between UPS and the union that say a PTer's job is worth considerably less than ours.

Whither

Scofflaw
I need to think on this post before I comment further but I do have one question?

Are you and all that makes you a person including all your feelings, thoughts, and actions absolutely governed by money and production?

You swapped terms here. I said the world is absolutely governed ... not me as a person. Even so, I think each of us, myself included, is far more governed by the dictates of money and production than it's pleasant to admit, and the parts of us that aren't matter to us, sure, but have little bearing on the world. Who isn't dependent on the global market at this point?

Whither

Scofflaw
Also: if people aren't voting -- and this is the case in national political elections too --, why is this so easily diagnosed as laziness and irresponsibility? To my mind there's a strong argument that people's lack of enthusiasm reflects the shoddy quality of the options offered to them. We might just as well count a decent percentage of the non-votes as votes of no confidence.

For example, those of you who read that article posted last night re: Amazon delivery drivers: there was an interesting tidbit about a small shop where drivers voted to join the Teamsters. And guess what happened? They all got canned, and the NLRB failed to have their backs (surprise surprise!).