We are nothing but numbers

browned out

I agree. If UPS doens't make money then we have no job. Don't be in the bottom 10% of worst performers and everything else is ice cream!

Do you even work at UPS? They don't say worst at UPS. You are the least best, or more least best, most least best, or the dreaded mostest leastest best.

dupsmn

It's funny, nobody was tricked into thinking this job was anything but a hard production job. In fact, everyone of us had to qualify in order to prove we could handle it. Yet all too often I see drivers "laying down" instead of working as instructed, with a sense of urgency. This doesn't mean you run your ass off or drive like a maniac either. Just do the best you can, take you hour and ten and put it back on them. These are tough times and I'm glad I have a job. Especially one that pays as well as this one. We are numbers and that's alright with me. UPS is NOT our friend! We don't invite them over for dinner or hang out with them on the weekends. They are our employer and that's all. I'm not sure what people want from their employer. Sure, we used to get more recognition awards but like I said, these are tough times and we all (including UPS) must tighten the money belt a bit. For once in a long time, I see my buying power actually increase instead of decrease. Inflation went up less than .25% this year so far yet I'm still getting my raises! I really don't give a damn if my employer considers me to be a number not as long as they get the "number" right in my paycheck!

The Milkman

It's funny, nobody was tricked into thinking this job was anything but a hard production job. In fact, everyone of us had to qualify in order to prove we could handle it. Yet all too often I see drivers "laying down" instead of working as instructed, with a sense of urgency. This doesn't mean you run your ass off or drive like a maniac either. Just do the best you can, take you hour and ten and put it back on them. These are tough times and I'm glad I have a job. Especially one that pays as well as this one. We are numbers and that's alright with me. UPS is NOT our friend! We don't invite them over for dinner or hang out with them on the weekends. They are our employer and that's all. I'm not sure what people want from their employer. Sure, we used to get more recognition awards but like I said, these are tough times and we all (including UPS) must tighten the money belt a bit. For once in a long time, I see my buying power actually increase instead of decrease. Inflation went up less than .25% this year so far yet I'm still getting my raises! I really don't give a damn if my employer considers me to be a number not as long as they get the "number" right in my paycheck!

When I started back in 81 I felt somewhat part of a team. But over the years and especially after UPS went public I felt more and more like a number as did others around me. When that feeling sinks in, your loyalty somewhat wanes as it did for me to go above and beyond for the company. No more awards and skimping on X-mas center parties slowly but surely drove down morale. it is no surprise to me that many do not give a hoot about sales leads and customer service as they did in the past. Treat people like people and you will have a better group of employees that will go the distance for the betterment of the company and not just be there for the paycheck. The Future starts today with a good attitude for who you work for. Retired 1-08.. I just hope the future for newbies will succeed and UPS realizes they can make or break a company by their actions.:peaceful:

A

anonymous6

It's the free market and UPS exists for only one reason: To return a profit to it's shareholders.
Your relationship with company is strictly business: Selling them your labor for a negotiated hourly rate.

I took this job for the pay and health benefits, not safety and years of service awards. The only value those things have is what I can sell them for on Ebay.
I would rather have a raise than a pat on the back.
I am glad the company is "hell bent on squeezing every cent out of every possible operation", because companies that don't do that don't last long, and I don't feel like job hunting right now.
If you're an unhappy driver it's your own fault, not the company's. Only you can make yourself happy.
If you're making the the customers unhappy because you're unhappy then you're not doing your job and you're the one with the poor long term strategy.
It's a job (and a pretty good one), don't try and make it into more than that. Work as instructed and cash your check on Friday.

quite sad but true. i agree with you and the OP.

brownboxman

Wow, to the posters who show up for the paycheck only, I do feel sorry for you. The only reward in your work life is a paycheck? What a miserable life. The day I go to work and dont get the satisfaction of helping someone or feel like I am apreciated is the day I quit. There will be a day when UPS will pay for the beat down on lower level management and drivers. The pendulum will swing and the co will suffer. But you go ahead and enjoy your big paycheck money will always make you happy.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow, to the posters who show up for the paycheck only, I do feel sorry for you. The only reward in your work life is a paycheck? What a miserable life. The day I go to work and dont get the satisfaction of helping someone or feel like I am apreciated is the day I quit. There will be a day when UPS will pay for the beat down on lower level management and drivers. The pendulum will swing and the co will suffer. But you go ahead and enjoy your big paycheck money will always make you happy.

I am the same way. There is no reason to feel sorry. The reward for the paycheck is a life and happiness outside of work. There is no reward for working at UPS, which is kind of sad.

Good, efficient friendly service is what customers pay for, I don't feel any extra glee for doing the job.

Have you noticed? We are rarely treated like people anymore as drivers. Obviously the reports. No matter how well the center does the lowest ranking person gets the bulls eye in each category. Nothing that goes wrong cannot be blamed on the driver. I feel safety is #1 because it costs UPS money, nothing else. Where is the ERI/TLAs? They know what we think and could care less to hear it. Everyday, send out the drivers with 9.2 min. "If they can't do it there is someone waiting in line who will". Safety awards, no. Retirement awards, no. I can understand if this company was only making millions in profit, but we are still making billions in profits. We are never thanked, only diciplined.

IMO the company should consider its people to be more than just a piece of equipment. They are hell bent on squeezing every cent out of every possible operation. A poor long term statagy. Unhappy drivers make unhappy customers. There is no future in company that values greed above everything.

Robert
I am not a number I'm a human being!!!!!!