Whackadoos Troll About Opioids

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You need to do a little more research, Chappy.

Maybe the overdoses aren't directly caused by legal opioids, but the initial addiction and subsequent overdoses (and deaths) are.

What kind of perfect world do you live in?
I agree the initial addiction is due in many if not most cases by legal Rx drugs.
Like I said before 'and subsequent overdoses' is contradictory with your preface.
Also, I don't believe that.
Fentanyl should only be administered by a qualified doctor.
Fentanyl and other incredibly strong drugs being mixed with heroin or sold as Oxycontin, Percocet and hydrocodone is what is killing most users not trying to commit suicide.

Heroin-Fentanyl-vials-NHSPFL-1024x576.jpg

vantexan

I agree the initial addiction is due in many if not most cases by legal Rx drugs.
Like I said before the 'and subsequent overdoses' is contradictory with your preface.
Also, I don't believe that.
Fentanyl should only be administered by a qualified doctor.
Fentanyl and other incredibly strong drugs being mixed with heroin or sold as Oxycontin, Percocet and hydrocodone is what is killing most users not trying to commit suicide.
According to the CDC almost half of all opioid related deaths in 2016 were caused by prescription opioids. People do abuse them, use them for recreation, not just for pain, and many pay a terrible price.

vantexan

Fentanyl and heroin are why so many are dying. Fentanyl is so powerful that anyone that comes in contact with it even in small doses can overdose and can be absorbed through the skin.
There was a warning issued somewhere by a police chief warning his officers not to handle fentanyl without gloves because it could be absorbed by the skin. That was debunked.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Fentanyl and heroin are why so many are dying. Fentanyl is so powerful that anyone that comes in contact with it even in small doses can overdose and can be absorbed through the skin.

Police are carrying naxolone in their cars as much for themselves as overdose victims. A local officer was hospitalized after breathing the dust during a response to an overdose.

vantexan

Checked Snopes and overdosing by being absorbed through the skin isn't possible according to a professor at Harvard Medical School.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You need to do a little more research, Chappy.

Maybe the overdoses aren't directly caused by legal opioids, but the initial addiction and subsequent overdoses ... are.

What kind of perfect world do you live in?
However, I am speaking reality.
Obviously, your reality is all :censored2:ed up! :wink2:

I have no idea what you are saying here.
Read it again and compare the two red phrases.

bbsam

Staff member
Would someone please explain to me why opioids are getting all the concern about treatment and medical diagnosis? Why not just throw them in jail with the crack heads and meth kings?

MAKAVELI

From the CDC.
CDC - The Emergency Response Safety and Health Database: Incapacitating Agent: FENTANYL - NIOSH
  • APPEARANCE: Crystals or crystalline powder.
  • DESCRIPTION: Fentanyl is a member of the class of drugs known as fentanyls, rapid-acting opioid (synthetic opiate) drugs that alleviate pain without causing loss of consciousness (analgesic). Fentanyl depresses central nervous system (CNS) and respiratory function. Exposure to fentanyl may be fatal. Fentanyl is estimated to be 80 times as potent as morphine and hundreds of times more potent than heroin. It is a drug of abuse. Fentanyl (and other opioids) could possibly be used as an incapacitating agent to impair a person’s ability to function. In October 2002, the Russian military reportedly used “a fentanyl derivative” against terrorists holding hostages in a Moscow theater; 127 of the hostages died. (It is unclear whether the gas used also included other chemical agent(s).) Fentanyl is odorless.
  • METHODS OF DISSEMINATION:
    • Indoor Air: Fentanyl can be released into indoor air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol).
    • Water: Fentanyl can be used to contaminate water.
    • Food: Fentanyl can be used to contaminate food.
    • Outdoor Air: Fentanyl can be released into outdoor air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol).
    • Agricultural: If fentanyl is released into the air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol), it has the potential to contaminate agricultural products.
  • ROUTES OF EXPOSURE: Fentanyl can be absorbed into the body via inhalation, oral exposure or ingestion, or skin contact. It is not known whether fentanyl can be absorbed systemically through the eye. Fentanyl can be administered intravenously (IV), intramuscularly (IM), or as a skin patch (transdermally).

vantexan

From the CDC.
CDC - The Emergency Response Safety and Health Database: Incapacitating Agent: FENTANYL - NIOSH
  • APPEARANCE: Crystals or crystalline powder.
  • DESCRIPTION: Fentanyl is a member of the class of drugs known as fentanyls, rapid-acting opioid (synthetic opiate) drugs that alleviate pain without causing loss of consciousness (analgesic). Fentanyl depresses central nervous system (CNS) and respiratory function. Exposure to fentanyl may be fatal. Fentanyl is estimated to be 80 times as potent as morphine and hundreds of times more potent than heroin. It is a drug of abuse. Fentanyl (and other opioids) could possibly be used as an incapacitating agent to impair a person’s ability to function. In October 2002, the Russian military reportedly used “a fentanyl derivative” against terrorists holding hostages in a Moscow theater; 127 of the hostages died. (It is unclear whether the gas used also included other chemical agent(s).) Fentanyl is odorless.
  • METHODS OF DISSEMINATION:
    • Indoor Air: Fentanyl can be released into indoor air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol).
    • Water: Fentanyl can be used to contaminate water.
    • Food: Fentanyl can be used to contaminate food.
    • Outdoor Air: Fentanyl can be released into outdoor air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol).
    • Agricultural: If fentanyl is released into the air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol), it has the potential to contaminate agricultural products.
  • ROUTES OF EXPOSURE: Fentanyl can be absorbed into the body via inhalation, oral exposure or ingestion, or skin contact. It is not known whether fentanyl can be absorbed systemically through the eye. Fentanyl can be administered intravenously (IV), intramuscularly (IM), or as a skin patch (transdermally).
Yep, they use a patch to administer through the skin. But the issue is whether you can overdose that way. According to Harvard Medical School professor no one has ever overdosed that way. Urban legend according to Snopes.

vantexan

Go ahead and slap ten patches on and see what happens.
Why would someone do that? The argument is being made that most opioid deaths are from fentanyl laced heroin due to it being so dangerous that even getting some on your skin can cause an overdose. However that's been debunked. It also seems that there is resistance to the known fact that almost half of opioid overdose deaths result from prescription opioids. Why is that? I suspect it's because like pot some like to use it recreationally and don't want their source to dry up. Or they're selling it and don't want people to stop using it out of fear. Either way anyone fighting criticism of a particular drug shows how pervasive these drugs are and will only continue to spread without every effort being made to stop distribution.