What’s the wear and tear on average UPS driver?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Just curious if anyone has information about what happens to a drivers body daily in regards to ergonomics, average distance walked, average amount of weight carried, pounds of pressure on specific joints? What amount of force it takes to close bulkhead door, rear door, etc. I know every route is different, so there isn’t a one size fits all answer, but just curious if anyone has data or statistics. I’m sure UPS does all kinds of studies on this. Just want to know how certain repetitive motions effect your body and what happens long term.
Mind your own damn business

UrFellowUpser

"It doesn't matter how much i deadlift or bench press these packages and bulk stops be kicking my ass."

Trying to gain size is not smart!

You are in a marathon, not a sprint! How many marathon runners have you seen with muscle mass?

Put it this way: Every step down results in a force of 3x's your body weight straight into your ankles, knees, hips then low back! How many times do you step down out of your truck a day (never mind the added weight of the package you are carrying.) Multiply that by 5 days a week, 49 weeks a year and X amount of years you are able to do the job.

Change to objective of your workouts.
I don't workout to gain size i do a combination of weight and cardio training. I workout to get ripped and lean and just be in overall good physical shape.

35years

Gravy route
Nothing from UPS.... social security. My knees and ankle are too screwed up to get on and off a package car anymore.
Sorry to hear that.

I have been protecting my joints for the last 20 years. Unfortunately I pounded them From 1980 till then at big brown.

Neerly 40 years lifting boxes, still going strong. All I tell the new guys is don't pound your joints and protect your back. Any boss that pushes production is attacking your livelihood and future health.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I don't workout to gain size i do a combination of weight and cardio training. I workout to get ripped and lean and just be in overall good physical shape.

The physical moves of a bench press (yes I know many of you here will jump up and down saying its the same motion as pushing a loaded 2-wheeler but you are wrong; that force comes from the Quads not the Pecs and Triceps) do not help you as a driver. That exercise is done in the Gym for vanity not employment.

The dead lift has a slight cross-over for what you do for a living but lets be honest here: What idiot in this job "dead lifts" an Ireg instead of walking, sliding it or rolling it?

UrFellowUsper, this is your life! It is time you start being honest with yourself!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The physical moves of a bench press (yes I know many of you here will jump up and down saying its the same motion as pushing a loaded 2-wheeler but you are wrong; that force comes from the Quads not the Pecs and Triceps) do not help you as a driver. That exercise is done in the Gym for vanity not employment.

The dead lift has a slight cross-over for what you do for a living but lets be honest here: What idiot in this job "dead lifts" an Ireg instead of walking, sliding it or rolling it?

UrFellowUsper, this is your life! It is time you start being honest with yourself!
Holy hell I would love to smash your head open

UrFellowUpser

I dont even bench or dead lift that heavy like that. The max i do is only 225 pounds. Its not like im in there doing 500 pounds and whatnot and i only do them twice a week.

Days

Sorry to hear that.

I have been protecting my joints for the last 20 years. Unfortunately I pounded them From 1980 till then at big brown.

Neerly 40 years lifting boxes, still going strong. All I tell the new guys is don't pound your joints and protect your back. Any boss that pushes production is attacking your livelihood and future health.

This!!

Haha I had some paper boxes I tried to deadlift off the ground. It sucked

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Im dont even bench or dead lift that heavy max i do is only 225 pounds. Its not like im in there doing 500 pounds and whatnot and i only to them twice a week.

How many reps? anything less than 15-20 is for strength and size, not for endurance. You are in an endurance game, not a "he-man" competition!

Please, reevaluate your goals and adjust accordingly!