What do you want in 2013 contract ?

UPSGUY72

those of us in the central states/UPS plan need a raise in our retirement benefits to what you guys get in NY. It should be the same benefit nationwide for retirement regardless of region, this is a national contract. As far as sales leads go as long as they keep cutting routes and pissing off long time customers by changing delivery times I don't have a chance to retain their business. Just lost a large shipper recently because I'm no longer able to deliver his stop before 9am anymore (late start now due to preload issues) don't even start till 9am now. He called in a concern about it and was told by center manager it was a business decision and it wasn't going to happen. They might as well take the SERVICE out of our name...

The problem with the pension plans are that they are multi-company plans run by the union and when one company doesn't pay or goes belly up the it strain the system.

bumped

The company would not have spent millions to implement Telematics just for the hell of it. It will be contract language that it can be used for discipline without direct observation.

Have you tried getting a sales lead lately? Our price point is putting us at a competitive disadvantage, hence the two tiered wage system.

We've saved millions with the automotive preventitive maintenance from the telematics reports.:obeyhypnosmiley:

bumped

Ours is a multi-employer pension plan. I agree in principle that there should be one standard pension throughout the country but am not willing to give up what I have earned in order to make this happen.

Other than giving up your raises in the current contract how is it that you have "earned" more than the rest of us?

A

anonymous6

what does it matter. they don't even have the integrity to follow the current one.

cranky

old brown shoe

30 year driver
How about some matching 401k like many company's have
Sick leave is a joke 4 hrs a month
Reduce the excessive overtime
Treat people the same way you would want to be treated

brown_trousers

Other than giving up your raises in the current contract how is it that you have "earned" more than the rest of us?

Retirement plans, pensions, 401ks, are all investments, and as such there is always some degree of "gambling" involved in how successfull that investment will become.

and as unfortunate as it is, you shouldnt be entitled to have others bail out a gamble gone wrong.

RedThunder

Give the part-timers better tools to prevent misloads.

Give part-timers a raise, so as to retain quality people.

This. In the future UPS is going to suffer with a substandard pool of employees for new driving positions.

Language that provides drivers with the right to determine whether or not they will deliver a misload.

Never going to happen and probably not a good idea.

I would like at least 5 days of sick time per yr, in lieu of any raise.
Give me the option to change one of my vacation weeks to option days

Surprising how different it is around the country. Here we have both. We get 5 sick days per year that can be scheduled as an extra week of vacation, or taken 1 day at a time, or be carried over to the next year. Also after 15 years you can use one week of vacation as personal days, 1 day at a time. We also get five personal days that can be scheduled as a vacation or taken 1 day at a time(1 week notice on personals, 8 days notice on vacation days).

Make every center a bonus center.

I sure hope not. No one can run under in my center as is except for a TDP.

How about some matching 401k like many company's have

Most companies that have a matching 401k use that as there pension. Unlikely to get both but I would like to see it. Maybe even be able to defer some of my pay into my pension. Probably a bad idea, don't want to give them any ideas about us paying our own pension.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
4 hrs a month sick time is a joke..better than 0.
Yeah, Ill get right on those sales leads. I gave myself a 230.00 per week raise with my last one.

Logb17

I think we are compensated well. Only thing Id like to see is strict 9.5 days. I don't want 11 hour days... I think we should have some 8 hour routes to bid on as well.

Last edited:

yeldarb

Why should the driver get to decide if they will deliver a misload? We work for UPS and the customer paid to have their package delivered when it was scheduled to be delivered. Why should it be our choice?
Language on the accident issue wont happen either....Just because you werent at fault by law, doesnt mean that if you werent reaching for your coffee and not paying attention 100%, it woudnt have happened.

I meant to include a quote, but it didnt show up....this I think was in response to Packmule...

Packmule

On misloads, it's a safety issue as much as it is sweeping the problem under the rug so higher management won't be forced to find a real solution. Safetywise, area knowledge is extremely important. Example; they once sent a coworker of mine out to deliver a misload on my route in the winter. If he'd fell for the nice dry roads you start out on, he'd have been backing uphill, in the dark, on a windy road for approximately half a mile to get back out. Otherwise ice would have dumped him in the ditch and they'd still be trying to figure out how to get his p1000 out. Extreme, yes, but no worse that trying to find a house number in the dark in an area you don't know.

Logb17

On misloads, it's a safety issue as much as it is sweeping the problem under the rug so higher management won't be forced to find a real solution. Safetywise, area knowledge is extremely important. Example; they once sent a coworker of mine out to deliver a misload on my route in the winter. If he'd fell for the nice dry roads you start out on, he'd have been backing uphill, in the dark, on a windy road for approximately half a mile to get back out. Otherwise ice would have dumped him in the ditch and they'd still be trying to figure out how to get his p1000 out. Extreme, yes, but no worse that trying to find a house number in the dark in an area you don't know.

So you never have anyone cover your route? Basically your saying it would be dangerous for anyone to cover your route as well.

A

anonymous6

you have to remember that the co is profit driven and have to answer to third parties ( shareholders ) and NOT people oriented ( us )

billions in profits. ( commendable )

Every employee ( hourlies and management ) should get a piece of the pie and will have to fight for their fair share. I would be happy with a small percentage increase in every area.....that is cash, pension and bennies. just be fair.

oh ya and most of us would like that impossible dream. co to follow contract. they skirt around it every change they get and then wonder why we drivers don't want to follow the flavor of the month.

DS

Fenderbender
I sure hope not. No one can run under in my center as is except for a TDP.

Why not? Are you saying if you skip your break and go like hell and punch out before you hit the air sort,
you still can't run scratch? By the way.what's a TDP?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why not? Are you saying if you skip your break and go like hell and punch out before you hit the air sort,
you still can't run scratch? By the way.what's a TDP?

TDP - Trailer Delivery and Pickup

Feeder drivers delivering and picking up pallets of small packages all unloaded and processed as individual packages.

Packmule

They do most of it in the daylight. They also have my board notes, and a whole booklet I wrote available to help them stay out of trouble.