What do you want in 2013 contract ?

yeldarb

They do most of it in the daylight. They also have my board notes, and a whole booklet I wrote available to help them stay out of trouble.
If that is your concern, when you find a misload, break away to do it in the daylight...
I keep a GPS in my PC specifically for misloads...

Packmule

I'm not going to run 30 to 40 miles back to town for the metro misload, then 30 to 40 miles back out. Neither are the metro drivers going to run those miles out to deliver the ones they get off me.

yeldarb

If UPS tells you to, why not? I have done a 40 mile return trip on a shipper release package before....Because they asked me too. Its their company, not mine. I only work here.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I want to be able to wear mutton chops. Take away my pension, free healthcare, and cut my pay to $10 an hour. I demand to be able to wear facial hair!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'm not going to run 30 to 40 miles back to town for the metro misload, then 30 to 40 miles back out. Neither are the metro drivers going to run those miles out to deliver the ones they get off me.
I work as directed. Have been instructed to run off many packages that were misloaded into my TP60. Quite a few were in excess of 35 miles roundtrip. Next day I get a message asking why my miles were so high. DOH! Miles are money and makes for easy bonus.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is where a business manager (center manager) has to make a tough choice, service over savings. 60-80 miles RT for a misload would not happen in my center---it would be sheeted as missed. We do run off misloads adjacent to our delivery areas and, if directed, will leave misloads further away at a drop off location to be picked up and shuttled. Most of the misloads that I get are for a town 50 miles away. I am one of the more service conscious drivers in my center but even I know that driving 100 miles RT for a basic just does not make sense.

S

speeddemon

I think you will soon see a 401k match for new full timers, but they will not offer a pension for new hires. Sorta like what they have done in the management realm.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think you will soon see a 401k match for new full timers, but they will not offer a pension for new hires. Sorta like what they have done in the management realm.

That would be OK only if the match was equal to the amount the company now puts in our pension each week. $300 plus. 3 percent wouldn't make for much of a pension.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would like to see the Teamsters sell health insurance to people going out on pension. If I can retire on the IBT/UPS Pension at age 55, then Central States should sell me health insurance then. I think people in CS have to wait until 57.

beentheredonethat

strong retirement ...

I understand wanting to have a strong retirement. But, what I don't understand is why you are asking that from UPS in this contract. Go to any financial adviser, show them what has been put into the teamster run pension plan on your behalf by UPS. Ask them what a conservative pension amount should be based on what has been paid into the fund. I am willing to bet all or almost all of them will tell you it would be a heck of a lot more then what you will be getting. Look at the IAM and how much those folks will get. They get virtually the same funding for pension as what the teamsters receive from UPS. Also, (at least in the district I was from - New England, not sure how it is everywhere else) UPS paid into the pension fund for the part time work force. How many part timers stay for 5 years to get vested? A relatively small amount. All that money by PT'ers who work a few months to a few years who don't vest. All that money went into the fund and there is no liability for that money. This should make the payout to the people who do retire that much higher. You should be complaining to the teamsters for mismanaging that money.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I want to be treated as a human 1st. Then talk about goodies. Privacy is today's civil rights moment. We are not machines. 15_poor_06.jpg
15_poor_06.jpg

fedupsteward

30 minute mandatory lunch and 30 minute optional lunch you want and hour take an hour you want to see your family at 8:30 instead of 9 you can without a talking to by management

Indecisi0n

30 minute mandatory lunch and 30 minute optional lunch you want and hour take an hour you want to see your family at 8:30 instead of 9 you can without a talking to by management

We have a mandatory lunch right now. If you don't take it they put it in anyway (as long as you punch in using the default code on the DIAD). People still skip their entire lunches because they want to get out early which is crazy. I love how management wonders where all these injuries are coming from when they have guys in their 40-50's working 12 hour days without a lunch HAHA. At that point I don't know who is to blame, management for putting on the pressure or the driver for caving into it.

I want to see stricter guidelines on how many hours a day they can work us.

Packmule

I want to see all of my contribution years, including pre-2008, moved into the UPS/IBT fund for life, not just until age 65. Since UPS invited the Teamsters to be our bargaining unit, and they cut off the APWA in 08 by negotiating the current contract 2 years in advance, they get what's coming to them.
New idea also. I want to see language regarding residential driver release packages clearly state that a driver has no further obligation to get the package out of sight or weather than the front porch. If the customer needs more security than that, it is their obligation to provide the means and the authorization proactively. No driver should ever be required to enter a garage, unlocked car, gates, or back patios without specific instructions from the customer. And UPS can live with it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'd like to see a State law that makes it illegel to work people over 2000 hours a year, unless signed for by the person. It should free up more time for drivers and put more people, on the inside, to work as cover drivers. Yet, UPS has its way of breaking even state laws and getting away with it from workers choice and the nonstance of management.

I'd say, make a push at your government to take sides within working conditions, if you really want to threat reporting broken laws at your job.