What do you want in 2013 contract ?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'd like to see a State law that makes it illegel to work people over 2000 hours a year, unless signed for by the person. It should free up more time for drivers and put more people, on the inside, to work as cover drivers. Yet, UPS has its way of breaking even state laws and getting away with it from workers choice and the nonstance of management.

I'd say, make a push at your government to take sides within working conditions, if you really want to threat reporting broken laws at your job.
Blah, more regulation. How about double time after 9.5 in the contract? The already thick labor regulations aside, this would push UPS to keep 9.5+ down to some degree - or at least reward those who are overworked handsomely. Also, escalating sups working grievance penalties. 2x pay first offense, 3x pay second, 4x pay fourth... ;)

Packmule

I, personally, would like to see sups forced to deliver during Christmas time. Lets see how many can handle it, and how many accidents they have???
Soon enough, you'd see management held to the same standards as drivers.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'd like to see a State law that makes it illegel to work people over 2000 hours a year, unless signed for by the person. It should free up more time for drivers and put more people, on the inside, to work as cover drivers. Yet, UPS has its way of breaking even state laws and getting away with it from workers choice and the nonstance of management.
I'd say, make a push at your government to take sides within working conditions, if you really want to threat reporting broken laws at your job.

52 weeks a year x 40 hours is 2080 hours. Good luck with that.

John19841

Blah, more regulation. How about double time after 9.5 in the contract? The already thick labor regulations aside, this would push UPS to keep 9.5+ down to some degree - or at least reward those who are overworked handsomely. Also, escalating sups working grievance penalties. 2x pay first offense, 3x pay second, 4x pay fourth... ;)

I don't think that's even enough. At least not enough to thwart overtime. Think about it, with that if you worked 10 hours, you'd see an extra what, $7.50 in your check? I really don't even think triple time would do enough. Unless you're putting in 11+ hours a day, it's not the handsome reward as you state.

What I'd like to see is the double or triple time retroactive for all your overtime if you work over 9.5. In other words, work 9.3 hours and You'd be paid straight time for the first 8, then time and a half for the other 1.3.....As it is now.

However, work 10 hours and the first 8 are paid at straight time. The other two, because you went over 9.5 are paid at either double or triple time.

That would make the company think twice about keeping people out as late as they do now.

Oh, and giving in to a company that wants a 7:00 pickup is ridiculous. If they want to do that, hire a pt driver and give that work to him

If we don't get any change in the over 9.5 language, I really think we need to work on getting more time off. It makes working 10+ days a lot easier when you have a 3 day weekend. Hint, hint...

Either that, or we need to start much earlier. If I punched in at 7 AM I really wouldn't mind putting in a 10 or 11 hour day.

Brownfrown

If we don't get any change in the over 9.5 language, I really think we need to work on getting more time off. It makes working 10+ days a lot easier when you have a 3 day weekend. Hint, hint...

Or resoundingly vote "NO".

A lot of guys in our center are fed up enough right now to cast a "NO" to ANY contract were the vote held right now. Kinda a virtual middle finger to the insaniy that has become UPS in 2012.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't think that's even enough. At least not enough to thwart overtime. Think about it, with that if you worked 10 hours, you'd see an extra what, $7.50 in your check? I really don't even think triple time would do enough. Unless you're putting in 11+ hours a day, it's not the handsome reward as you state.

What I'd like to see is the double or triple time retroactive for all your overtime if you work over 9.5. In other words, work 9.3 hours and You'd be paid straight time for the first 8, then time and a half for the other 1.3.....As it is now.

However, work 10 hours and the first 8 are paid at straight time. The other two, because you went over 9.5 are paid at either double or triple time.

That would make the company think twice about keeping people out as late as they do now.

Oh, and giving in to a company that wants a 7:00 pickup is ridiculous. If they want to do that, hire a pt driver and give that work to him

Either that, or we need to start much earlier. If I punched in at 7 AM I really wouldn't mind putting in a 10 or 11 hour day.
I understand what you are saying.

The problem is that your math is off a bit, at least conceptually. If you work 10 hours a day, that is 2.5 hours over 9.5 hours for the week. It would be roughly $15/hr greater for 2.5 hours ($45/hr versus $60, understanding I am rounding numbers), which is much more than $7.50 you said....it would be around $40 a week, which times 52 is over $2,000 a year. That is only assuming 10 hour days.

S

speeddemon

I don't want to be forced to take an hour lunch. I would rather have that time at home with my family.

John19841

I understand what you are saying.

The problem is that your math is off a bit, at least conceptually. If you work 10 hours a day, that is 2.5 hours over 9.5 hours for the week. It would be roughly $15/hr greater for 2.5 hours ($45/hr versus $60, understanding I am rounding numbers), which is much more than $7.50 you said....it would be around $40 a week, which times 52 is over $2,000 a year. That is only assuming 10 hour days.

I was using the example of one day working 10 hours, not a whole week. 10 hours is a half hour longer than 9.5. Like you said, the double time pay would add an extra $15/hr. So for the extra half hour (10 hours vs 9.5) It would be $7.50. The $15 x 2.5 that you said for a week comes out to the same as $7.50 x 5 days.

Please list most important to least .
ME ......

Better paid days......................... ( 8-9 hrs instead of 9-10 hrs OR LONGER ! )
Better plans to ask for day off ...... ( VERY hard to get day off in my hub )
Better 9.5 plan ........................... ( current 9.5 plan sucks )
Less Harassment .........................( UPS hates us )
Better benifits/retirement............ ( I am 41 with 24 yrs , so I can not retire early )
Better sick days ......................... ( maybe have 2 weeks option instead of 1 week )
Less Use of telematics.................. ( talk to , NO waring letters )
small raise.................................. ( everyone needs cash )
maybe get paid in stock options ?... ( if no raise , GIVE ME STOCK )
overall better working condtions ....( go back in the past , UPS was a PERFECT , GREAT job 10 yrs ago !!!!!! )
How about an I'm sorry for how you've been treated the last five years. Right at the beginning of the contract.

Logb17

That line is getting old.
You must not have a family.

I'm pretty new, and the only thing I stress out about is what time I'm gonna be off. It's not to much to ask to only work 9 hours a day, which is still more then normal. I hate heading back to the building then you see that little green light come on.

That's the only thing I care about. 32 an hour is more then enough. I say double time over 9.5. If you want more hours you can opt out. Believe it or not there are a couple guys that want 12 hours a day here.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"I don't think that's even enough. At least not enough to thwart overtime. Think about it, with that if you worked 10 hours, you'd see an extra what, $7.50 in your check? I really don't even think triple time would do enough. Unless you're putting in 11+ hours a day, it's not the handsome reward as you state."
I was using the example of one day working 10 hours, not a whole week. 10 hours is a half hour longer than 9.5. Like you said, the double time pay would add an extra $15/hr. So for the extra half hour (10 hours vs 9.5) It would be $7.50. The $15 x 2.5 that you said for a week comes out to the same as $7.50 x 5 days.
Those are two very, very different things. ;)

Indecisi0n

You must not have a family.

I'm pretty new, and the only thing I stress out about is what time I'm gonna be off. It's not to much to ask to only work 9 hours a day, which is still more then normal. I hate heading back to the building then you see that little green light come on.

That's the only thing I care about. 32 an hour is more then enough. I say double time over 9.5. If you want more hours you can opt out. Believe it or not there are a couple guys that want 12 hours a day here.

I don't have a family and i agree with you but it kills me that everyone says this and will do anything throughout their day to try and get off early. They run like chickens without a head, they DR in area's they aren't suppose to which runs the stop counts up. Then when i cover their route which normally has 150 stops now it has 185. I am not DR'ing anything and now i am out until 10:00pm because i do the job right. Like i tell all the other drivers get that "i need to go home" thought out of your head. The more you work, the faster you get done only means they are going to give you more work. I'd rather see you come in late then get an injury because you are trying to get home early.

article22

Banned
but only 22.2 jobs. Stop creating 22.3 jobs that steal work from us seasoned pt air drivers

i was a p/t air driver for about 6 years.. The job dont exist in my area anymore.. In the 4 hubs in my area they have cut out almost all of the air drivers... **its not the artice 22 jobs that did it either!!
The company has decided to start a few friend/t trips later (10.30 am) do a bunch of deliveries and then the air drivers job of picking up letter boxes , on calls, and some air pick ups!!
I bidded one of these trips and they are basically a nightmare!!

24ball

Better paid days......................... ( 8-9 hrs instead of 9-10 hrs OR LONGER ! ) - agree
Better plans to ask for day off ...... ( VERY hard to get day off in my hub ) - agree
Better 9.5 plan ........................... ( current 9.5 plan sucks ) - agree
Less Harassment .........................( UPS hates us ) - do your job...its not hate....
Better benifits/retirement............ ( I am 41 with 24 yrs , so I can not retire early ) - get real....if you can find a job with better benefits and retirement....go work there
Better sick days ......................... ( maybe have 2 weeks option instead of 1 week ) - how many sick days do you need? sick days...not I dont want to come to work days....grow up....
Less Use of telematics.................. ( talk to , NO waring letters ) ...do your job...what are you afraid of?
small raise.................................. ( everyone needs cash ) more money means UPS will expect more from you.....
maybe get paid in stock options ?... ( if no raise , GIVE ME STOCK ) - why
overall better working condtions ....( go back in the past , UPS was a PERFECT , GREAT job 10 yrs ago !!!!!! ) - agree