What would be your Incentives/Rewards/Motivation for working harder?

Working4TheBene's

Out of curiosity, what would be your motivational incentives/rewards for you to work harder? What is your center/hub currently doing now and what would you like to see done?

I am getting tired of the t-shirts, mugs and water bottles... but we don't know what to ask for? (And of course we want more pay, but unless the union fights harder for part-timers' wages, I don't think a substantial pay increase is in the future...)

UPSmeoff

I can't possibly work any harder than i am already.

Take 20 stops off of me so i can go home to my family an hour earlier would be my answer.

sendagain

They had the best motivation plan around years ago, incentive pay. Since they stripped that down to nothing, the motivation to take on more work is not there. In fact, people now work at a rate that would have given them bonus pay years ago, but now it is considered to be your average pace.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think the incentive would be to go back about five years and have an honest mgmt person tell ya, "hey you are buried, help me out today and Ill take care of ya tomorrow". Instead of using the theory of "well they did that Ok, lets give em 20 more" day after day after day.

I got done tonight at 6, it was pure exhileration. I dont want more money or shirts, or water jugs. I want to work and get home at a decent hour, once in a while. The big days are part of the job but it should not be every day for yrs as it has been.

Thats my incentive, let me do a good hard days work, when at the end I have some time for myself.

rushfan

I already work harder. I won't work faster. If I did, it would be a safety issue. This job isn't worth a blown knee, ruptured disk, or hip problems.

Since the incentive pay has disapeared, I take my full hour lunch and break.

Working4TheBene's

I would have to agree that more time for family would be nice. The long hours that drivers have to work are definitely not getting any shorter. Even more so as the competition gets tighter and tighter with customers wanting to deliver earlier and drop off packages later and later...

But how about for the warehouse part-timers? The unloaders/sorters/etc. What would motivate them to do a better job than the fellow next to you who has more seniority and gets paid more, but is LAZY? What is the incentive/motivation for those people that just want to come in and do a hard days work for decent pay... otherwise everyone should just be lazy, slack off and do a bad job, but that would probably mean that our competition would get more and more of UPS business which is not good for any of us!!

JustAnotherBody

i know its ridiculous but I'd like to have a say in wether or not someone makes senority or not. Managment complains and complains about how they can't get rid of some people once they have senority but 95% of the time you can figure out in the first 2 weeks what kind of employee is going to be. Yah u get faster better more efficent with time but really a person can only improve so much. I know they are hard pressed for people but fire em while u can!

Working4TheBene's

Justanotherbody... I totally agree, it we had a say in it, we would save a lot of grief later on.. I've always thought that becasue of the constant high turnover, that we should split the $1500 (this is the amount that UPS mgmt always syas that this is what it costs them everytime a new employee is hired) among the particular category of employees being hired... so if they are hiring unloader...then the unloaders should split the funds, if its loaders - then the funds should be split among them..and so on....(but I don't think this will happen as it makes sense....hmmmm)

Aaron

For me it would be to work only 8 hrs. I have not once asked for over time. I've always done my shift and split.

I'd rather do stuff with my kids.

I can only go faster when there's room to move around, which means pulling the work off.

S

speeddemon

To be honest, I wish they would be honest on the OR. I would really like to see a true over/under allowed report.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I would have to agree that more time for family would be nice. The long hours that drivers have to work are definitely not getting any shorter. Even more so as the competition gets tighter and tighter with customers wanting to deliver earlier and drop off packages later and later...

But how about for the warehouse part-timers? The unloaders/sorters/etc. What would motivate them to do a better job than the fellow next to you who has more seniority and gets paid more, but is LAZY? What is the incentive/motivation for those people that just want to come in and do a hard days work for decent pay... otherwise everyone should just be lazy, slack off and do a bad job, but that would probably mean that our competition would get more and more of UPS business which is not good for any of us!!
Space the bloody boxes off and stop moving the belt at a fast walking pace. Otherwise I don't give a frick over my stacks.

The only motivation I have is getting senoirity, better pay, maybe a mgmt job, hopefully ramp job.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
For me it would be to work only 8 hrs. I have not once asked for over time. I've always done my shift and split.

I'd rather do stuff with my kids.

I can only go faster when there's room to move around, which means pulling the work off.

If you want to work 8hrs sign a combo bid.