when is enough going to be enough?

CRASH501

Do you believe the company should threaten to fire someone for the following reasons?

1 An avoidable accident.. one that is not the driver's fault but 20/20 hindsight says that he could have avoided with superhuman abilities.

2 Scanning a known closed air package away from the location.

...........you meen saving time , gas and mileage ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
OK, I get why you would want to get snippy about my input. But have you ever stopped to wonder what would happen if the reverse were true? If production did NOT slide every time the push was lessened? Then, there really would be no PROFIT in keeping up with the push. And it would stop, as from a functional perspective, profit is what the company as an entity cares about.
dcr0483l.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That is correct. It is proven time and again that employees perform at their best when there is a constant push for better, what you call harassment and intimidation. When that loosens up, the production slides. Every time.

OK, I get why you would want to get snippy about my input. But have you ever stopped to wonder what would happen if the reverse were true? If production did NOT slide every time the push was lessened? Then, there really would be no PROFIT in keeping up with the push. And it would stop, as from a functional perspective, profit is what the company as an entity cares about.
dcr0483l.jpg

WORK BY THE METHODS BY THE HOUR

CRASH501

What number's? I just deliver pkgs till I'm done.

AKA dishonesty.
STUG we have been directed time and time again if you know they are closed , save the time BTW here's 2 airs for your loop partner he left early set a meetpoint ....incidentally that meet A) never happens or B) those airs were left behind intentionally

Omega man

What you guys are failing to understand is, its not that your Union is weak. Its that our cases against the employee are getting stronger and stronger. Proper documentation, follow - up, retraining, observations.

Go out there and do your job as though a supervisor is riding with you everyday. If you have a question about something, by all means call your center team and ask.

Just my 2 cents.

The problem is that many of the supervisors and managers, when they were drivers, never did the job as it is now described to be done. Even now, when they are on the truck with us, many have their own interpretations of what the methods are and try to get us to cut corners to save time. To compound it further, they later hypocritically try to reprimand us for what they have instructed us to do. Because following the methods takes time, many in management do not practice what the company is preaching.

+1

The best way to show how bad management is, is to work exactly as directed!!!

Quote of the year!
I always work as directed, including taking all of my breaks.
For my efforts, management ignores me but is openly chummy with the runners and burners.
BTW, I run over by .30 consistently.
And if I do make one innocuous mistake, my center manager often says "I'll fire you for that."
I guess I should go to work early and set up my package car for free and then spend my breaks driving, sorting or working? I don't think so!
If I volunteer for something, it will be for a charity and not a corporation.
The runners and burners are often cheaters (think of the 340 methods). I can definitely understand wanting to get home early, but why have rules if everybody doesn't follow them?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Work like there is no one on car with you and you are your own boss. Utilize the methods exactly as directed. Study and read them on your own time. Ask a manager or supervisor for a copy of the 340 methods and give them a big smile. Idiot management will not like it, however your work and home life will be easier when you (1) forget about working for crooks (2) work flawlessly (untouchable).

brownIEman

No, it takes me 8 or 9 hours to do 8 or 9 hours. 12 hours means I am working 12 hours. It takes me how long it takes. I dont like working that late; I am just given that much work. No copout there. I am safe as I can be but 12 hours takes a toll. You dont like it, set the jelly roll down, brown up and show me how its done

"Set the jelly roll down, brown up and show me how it is done".

Nice. That would be a great dig. If we were all in high school. Maybe jr high.

Look, fine, you are given too much work for you to do safely. I do not know your situation, I really don't know. Wether you are or are not - I am not in your operation. So the fact that you feel you have more work than can be done safely has no bearing on wether or not I personally feel safety is the first priority for my people. There is no connection of any kind. And yet, because you do feel you have too much work, you feel perfectly justified in accusing me of lying when I state that it is my first priority. You have no rational basis for your attack on me.

Of course, I realize that your arguement with and attack on me is based on emotion not rationality. You feel persecuted, wronged. You have been wronged by management, through no fault of your own, and for things for which you have no responsibility. You are a martyr. We evil management have done this to you. You do not want any member of management to be a rational, compassionate human being. So when one suggests they might be, it invokes an angry response, as it might call into question your mighty righteous indignation. I get it, seen it many times.

So, if it makes you feel better -, yes, I hate safety, I hope and pray every day my people will hurt themselves, and do everything I can on a daily basis to make sure they do. I am management, I am evil incarnate.

Feel better?

Re-Raise

I guess the resentment comes from what many of see on a daily basis from management.

They tell us to be safe at the 5 minute pcm, maybe even ask a DOK question, while at the same time cutting routes and knowingly dispatching a couple of hours of overtime each to drivers who have no recourse.

You probably do hope your workers are safe brownIEman for a number of reasons. But do you care enough to stick up for them?

All management at UPS can do to affect profit is make the hourlies accomplish more in less time. When will someone care enough to say my workers are already pushed to the limit?

U

upsman39

The man is right ! They have gotten very weak lately. He must be talking about Local 804. They have been walking out Stewards too. Two of them in fact for trying to represent a member and told to goback to work. The BA do nada about it.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The man is right ! They have gotten very weak lately. He must be talking about Local 804. They have been walking out Stewards too. Two of them in fact for trying to represent a member and told to goback to work. The BA do nada about it.

If this is in fact the case. The Stewards have a slam dunk case. Their are laws in place to protect Stewards while representing their members. In fact while behind closed doors and representing a member the Steward is considered an equal to whom ever is the highest ranking management person in the room. I have a feelong that you post here not knowing all the relevant information. I don't care who the BA is they would know this information and use it. Maybe they are waiting for the company to come to the table and talk. Everyone asumes that its always the BA doing nothing. If the company will not answer phone calls or reach out themselves what exactly is the BA to do other than wait for the next local hearings. At which point the BA will win an easy victory including back pay as long as there are no other missing details from your story.

22.34life

"Set the jelly roll down, brown up and show me how it is done".

Nice. That would be a great dig. If we were all in high school. Maybe jr high.

Look, fine, you are given too much work for you to do safely. I do not know your situation, I really don't know. Wether you are or are not - I am not in your operation. So the fact that you feel you have more work than can be done safely has no bearing on wether or not I personally feel safety is the first priority for my people. There is no connection of any kind. And yet, because you do feel you have too much work, you feel perfectly justified in accusing me of lying when I state that it is my first priority. You have no rational basis for your attack on me.

Of course, I realize that your arguement with and attack on me is based on emotion not rationality. You feel persecuted, wronged. You have been wronged by management, through no fault of your own, and for things for which you have no responsibility. You are a martyr. We evil management have done this to you. You do not want any member of management to be a rational, compassionate human being. So when one suggests they might be, it invokes an angry response, as it might call into question your mighty righteous indignation. I get it, seen it many times.

So, if it makes you feel better -, yes, I hate safety, I hope and pray every day my people will hurt themselves, and do everything I can on a daily basis to make sure they do. I am management, I am evil incarnate.

Feel better?

i dont think most hourlys really believe that all managment are evil heartless monsters but sometimes i do have to wonder.there is no doubt that we are being pushed harder than ever before from a production standpoint,it is frustrating when they give you some paper with the 8 keys to lifting and lowering on it and then have you do things that break all of them.it is the stupid things at ups that make people fell like managment could care less or know less.the new thing in my building is no packages on the floor ,so everything must be put on pallets but not wood only plastic pallets but by the end of the day there are no more plastic pallets,it is this lack of planning that makes us think the way we do.

22.34life

If this is in fact the case. The Stewards have a slam dunk case. Their are laws in place to protect Stewards while representing their members. In fact while behind closed doors and representing a member the Steward is considered an equal to whom ever is the highest ranking management person in the room. I have a feelong that you post here not knowing all the relevant information. I don't care who the BA is they would know this information and use it. Maybe they are waiting for the company to come to the table and talk. Everyone asumes that its always the BA doing nothing. If the company will not answer phone calls or reach out themselves what exactly is the BA to do other than wait for the next local hearings. At which point the BA will win an easy victory including back pay as long as there are no other missing details from your story.
many people blaim their ba because they talk to him directly and the things they say make people wonder what they are paying dues for ,unless of course you are a driver.when it comes to inside employees the ba is uninterested.

i hate filed labor charges and i won. now, ups is back to treating me like a slave and treating its employees like they cant even speak.like a dog!. nobody does smile* about it. the true is the union does nothing!