when is enough going to be enough?

what amazes me about the brown cafe i can seek out the workers from the kiss asses is there any place we can signify if your union ,management,or closet union aka act union tough around the brothers but cut deals to brown that nose up some ...........

brownIEman

Finally someone tells the truth. Every member of management I've ever met says the employee's personal safety is the most important thing. I'm glad you had the integrity to speak(type) the truth.

As a Management person, I will tell you personal safety is the most important thing. To me. And to most employees. But the Company, as an entity, from a what it does, a functional perspective, profitability is number one. And should be. If safety was from a functional perspective the end all be all holy grail most important thing, every employee would have pads, be given three packages to deal with per hour at most, and would be perfectly safe. The company would be out of business in two days, and those employees would be at home unemployed, but safe.

unionslug

As a Management person, I will tell you personal safety is the most important thing. To me. And to most employees. But the Company, as an entity, from a what it does, a functional perspective, profitability is number one. And should be. If safety was from a functional perspective the end all be all holy grail most important thing, every employee would have pads, be given three packages to deal with per hour at most, and would be perfectly safe. The company would be out of business in two days, and those employees would be at home unemployed, but safe.
Its only important because it makes you feel better to say it. When drivers are out til 9 pm or later, safety is not the most important thing

Catatonic

Nine Lives
what amazes me about the brown cafe i can seek out the workers from the kiss asses is there any place we can signify if your union ,management,or closet union aka act union tough around the brothers but cut deals to brown that nose up some ...........

Could you post that in English?

brownIEman

Its only important because it makes you feel better to say it. When drivers are out til 9 pm or later, safety is not the most important thing

I have been out way past 9PM on thousands of occasions in my lifetime, and done so perfectly safely. It is what you are doing not the time of day that determines safety.

unionslug

I have been out way past 9PM on thousands of occasions in my lifetime, and done so perfectly safely. It is what you are doing not the time of day that determines safety.
Oh really? So even though the body has been going for almost 12 hours, you are just as safe as hour 1? what a crock. That is typical UPS mgt drivel. I dont care how safe you work, it isnt safe on the body, especially year after year. You are management. You havent been humping it too many years on the road

brownIEman

Oh really? So even though the body has been going for almost 12 hours, you are just as safe as hour 1? what a crock. That is typical UPS mgt drivel. I dont care how safe you work, it isnt safe on the body, especially year after year. You are management. You havent been humping it too many years on the road

No, I would not say you are just as safe after 12 hours of going as after 1, but it can be done safely. And you are not AS safe after 2 hours as after 1 either. So I suppose if I really cared about safety, I would require all drivers to knock off after 1 hour, and pay them the 8 hour guarantee. Then all the drivers would be very safe. At home, unemployed. But safe.

unionslug

No, I would not say you are just as safe after 12 hours of going as after 1, but it can be done safely. And you are not AS safe after 2 hours as after 1 either. So I suppose if I really cared about safety, I would require all drivers to knock off after 1 hour, and pay them the 8 hour guarantee. Then all the drivers would be very safe. At home, unemployed. But safe.
Nice copout, but just because you can officially follow the methods after 8 or 9 hours, doesnt make it safe. No, its a business decision and it is what it is. But dont try to come on here and preach "Safety is my top priority" crap. You dont mean it because it doesnt fit into the UPS profit model

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
+1 this man has hit the nail right on the head do the JOB and do it like your Division Manager is in the jumperseat. Methods set you free and help you sleep like a baby. If we all did this JOB by the METHODS we would be an ARMY instead of an army of one or two or three and then we would be a stronger union.

+1

The best way to show how bad management is, is to work exactly as directed!!!

unionslug

If UPS didn't pay its drivers like professionals with master's degrees, they could afford to run a safer operation :devil3:
oh so you admit that UPS doesnt run a safe operation. I always wondered why that was. Now we know. Its because they pay their drivers too much so they cant afford to run a safe operation. Thanks for that input

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You left out the one that I think you would fall under--those who hide behind the contract.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
how many on your end? Here at my center we have had exactly 2 in the last 3 years that have actually held up at panel. Tons of warning letters, suspensions, and working terminations, but in the end only 2 gone for good. One was stealing (deserved it) and the other had multiple multiple accidents working against him.

You say 2 that actually held up at panel. I am ok with, that our cases were probably weak to begin with.

Have you taken a moment to think about how much the employee really lost in each case that didn't go to panel and took the suspension or they got their job back at the panel.

• having to tell your family/friends you lost your job or were suspended.
  • stress
  • anger
  • denial
  • depression
  • loss of social status
  • no benefits
  • financial insecurity
  • co-workers shunning you
  • how are you going to support yourself or family during this time
with all that said, who truly loses in this situation when you get your job back? Answer: the employee

You may have heard this before but I think its a valid statement:

We (company) win either way. They either do what we ask them to or they are asked to leave the company.

Follow the methods, make it part of your daily routine you will not regret it.

Dragon

brownIEman

Nice copout, but just because you can officially follow the methods after 8 or 9 hours, doesnt make it safe. No, its a business decision and it is what it is. But dont try to come on here and preach "Safety is my top priority" crap. You dont mean it because it doesnt fit into the UPS profit model

Ok, so you take more than 12 hours to do 8 or 9 hours woth of work and then cry that it is due to safety.

I must defer to you sir, you have the far superior copout.

unionslug

Ok, so you take more than 12 hours to do 8 or 9 hours woth of work and then cry that it is due to safety.

I must defer to you sir, you have the far superior copout.
No, it takes me 8 or 9 hours to do 8 or 9 hours. 12 hours means I am working 12 hours. It takes me how long it takes. I dont like working that late; I am just given that much work. No copout there. I am safe as I can be but 12 hours takes a toll. You dont like it, set the jelly roll down, brown up and show me how its done

unionslug

You say 2 that actually held up at panel. I am ok with, that our cases were probably weak to begin with.

Have you taken a moment to think about how much the employee really lost in each case that didn't go to panel and took the suspension or they got their job back at the panel.

• having to tell your family/friends you lost your job or were suspended.
  • stress
  • anger
  • denial
  • depression
  • loss of social status
  • no benefits
  • financial insecurity
  • co-workers shunning you
  • how are you going to support yourself or family during this time
with all that said, who truly loses in this situation when you get your job back? Answer: the employee

You may have heard this before but I think its a valid statement:

We (company) win either way. They either do what we ask them to or they are asked to leave the company.

Follow the methods, make it part of your daily routine you will not regret it.

Dragon
Yep, thats about how daily life is at UPS now. I guess if it makes you feel better that this is the culture of UPS then give yourself a pat on the back. Most view the time off as vacation. Yep, I see how much UPS cares about its employees. Loss of social status? lol really? no benefits? Some of these are hilarious.
unless its a long wait then you still get bennies. It just goes to show you. Out of all the warning letters, suspensions, and working terminations (which cost the company very little), very few cases are taken to an actual panel (which does cost the company). As stingy with money as they are, you better have a sure winner when you take em. Which is why not many actually make it there