who cares about UPS Freight

poops brown too

I think its kinda bull**** that i keep reading how ups freight says they need to close the loophole so "their" work wont be subcontracted and stolen from them.... but didn't they steal work from upsers originally? Also if they do end up striking will everyone support them and also strike??

I don't really understand freight or how the hole thing with ups and ups freight works soooo if im wrong i know someone will feel free to correct me..

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Freight didn't steal our work, the are just a different segment of the trucking industry: LTL or "less than truckload". Basically it's mostly palletized shipments that don't fill a full trailer, so they are picked up and later consolidated so that they can arrive at their destination in a timely fashion (and at a competitive price), sometimes as quick as a dedicated full trailer load that just goes from point A to point B. UPS Freight competes with Fedex Freight, ABF, Conway, and Forward Air to name a few. You could make the argument that Hundredweight has been absorbed into UPSF but that was better suited to palletized shipments anyway (does anyone really miss 80 boxes of catalogs weighing 40lbs each all going to the same place?)

They have valid concerns about subcontracting opportunities in their CBA and UPS is notorious for using subcontractors. Part of the reason why there was little to no movement from Package to Feeders in the late 90's to 2006 was because of UPS's use of subcontactors. That also affects movement from P/T to Fulltime Package Drivers. We call them "shiny wheels" and it's a constant game to catch UPS using subcontractors so we can try to fight back by making them pay twice. Right now in our building there are roughly 30 sleeper team Premium runs, 60 drivers, for our various Amazon fullfillment centers being subcontracted through Werner & Covenant.

So even though you may not know it, subcontracting directly affects you.

Squint

No more work for me!
Subcontracting does nothing but take dollars out of every Teamster's pockets. Think of it this way...more Teamster's working at UPS = more dues which equals a much stronger Union. Supervisors doing Teamster work is also directly affecting every working Teamster and should always be grieved. Plain and simple!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I haven't seen the numbers but if freight division isn't making profit ups may be willing to let them walk and cut their loses.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We had a UPS driver deliver to a warehouse recently. The dispatch office is about 300 yards from the lot's entrance. So the UPS Freight driver asked our driver if he can give him a lift to the office. The driver let him sit in the jumpseat. Unfortunately for our driver, he was being watched by 2 supervisors because of production.

He was fired and brought back as a 2 week suspension. His excuse was that he was told only UPS employees are allowed in the package car. Management exclaimed that he was not a UPS employee.

​I agree he should have been reprimanded (and he's lucky it was UPS Freight) but it brought to light how UPS feels about UPS Freight.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The policy should be clarified to state UPS employees on the clock. We had a driver give a ride to a co-worker who was not on the clock at the time. One of our on-cars' wives happened to see it and, of course, told her husband. The on-car did not make a big deal out of it but did pull both employees aside to explain the policy and the potential liability issues of violating said policy.

over9five

Staff member
The policy should be clarified to state UPS employees on the clock. We had a driver give a ride to a co-worker who was not on the clock at the time. One of our on-cars' wives happened to see it and, of course, told her husband. The on-car did not make a big deal out of it but did pull both employees aside to explain the policy and the potential liability issues of violating said policy.
Nosy woman. At least she knows enough not to work here, and went back to the kitchen after this.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

<snicker, snicker!>

Skeeters

We had a UPS driver deliver to a warehouse recently. The dispatch office is about 300 yards from the lot's entrance. So the UPS Freight driver asked our driver if he can give him a lift to the office. The driver let him sit in the jumpseat. Unfortunately for our driver, he was being watched by 2 supervisors because of production.

He was fired and brought back as a 2 week suspension. His excuse was that he was told only UPS employees are allowed in the package car. Management exclaimed that he was not a UPS employee.

I agree he should have been reprimanded (and he's lucky it was UPS Freight) but it brought to light how UPS feels about UPS Freight.

I don't think it had anything to do with how UPS feels about UPS Freight. It's about how UPS feels about UPS employees period...

This peak they had UPSF guys come in on a Saturday and make runs for us in our equipment. We were out of hours so we were glad to see it stay within the family rather than be subcontracted.

Skeeters

This peak they had UPSF guys come in on a Saturday and make runs for us in our equipment. We were out of hours so we were glad to see it stay within the family rather than be subcontracted.

The only problem with that is it should of been with parcel hourly wages. From what I understand it is at the UPSF hourly wages. We have all learned since UPS bought Overnite you can't give them an inch...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
We were using UPSF tractors last year or the year before, and had an agreement where laid off UPSF drivers would pull some loads instead of using subcontractors. I forgot all about that and I'll have to find out why that didn't happen this year. I'd rather see UPSF drivers working with us than use Swift, plus it's easy to use the number of subcontracted drivers as a benchmark for how many they need to train the next year.

Stonefish

I think its kinda bull**** that i keep reading how ups freight says they need to close the loophole so "their" work wont be subcontracted and stolen from them.... but didn't they steal work from upsers originally? Also if they do end up striking will everyone support them and also strike??

I don't really understand freight or how the hole thing with ups and ups freight works soooo if im wrong i know someone will feel free to correct me..

UPS Freight did not "steal" work from UPS. If you were around long enough to remember the one day strike on the over 70 lb. packages you'll remember UPS did that to get volume from the freight industry.

The header of this thread is in my opinion ridiculous. "Who Cares About UPS Freight". We all should, they are Teamsters. That is the problem with people now they don't care about anyone but themselves. The threads that were started on here: Local 688, Our Local is Worthless and Teamsters Broken are just a few. We should care about all union employees at every company. We set the standards for everyone. Instead people complain and bad rap our union. That is what will be the downfall of unions everywhere.

What is someones incentive to join an organization when the members in it do nothing but complain about it? There is none. I know some people aren't happy with some of the recent changes but when we make deliveries and see that non union competitor we should be telling them about the excellent benefits we have. UPS doesn't just give these things because they like you.

cb1969

Subcontracting does nothing but take dollars out of every Teamster's pockets. Think of it this way...more Teamster's working at UPS = more dues which equals a much stronger Union. Supervisors doing Teamster work is also directly affecting every working Teamster and should always be grieved. Plain and simple!

Sorry, but stronger Union equals more dues....not the other way around...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
UPS Freight did not "steal" work from UPS. If you were around long enough to remember the one day strike on the over 70 lb. packages you'll remember UPS did that to get volume from the freight industry.

The header of this thread is in my opinion ridiculous. "Who Cares About UPS Freight". We all should, they are Teamsters. That is the problem with people now they don't care about anyone but themselves. The threads that were started on here: Local 688, Our Local is Worthless and Teamsters Broken are just a few. We should care about all union employees at every company. We set the standards for everyone. Instead people complain and bad rap our union. That is what will be the downfall of unions everywhere.

What is someones incentive to join an organization when the members in it do nothing but complain about it? There is none. I know some people aren't happy with some of the recent changes but when we make deliveries and see that non union competitor we should be telling them about the excellent benefits we have. UPS doesn't just give these things because they like you.

Exactly.

I care about UPS Freight because when the IBT finally organized them (after UPS bought out Overnite) I think we "owe" them a good contract after so many of them were willing to go on strike in the early 2000's in order to be Teamsters. I don't like subcontracting at all, but if it's going to be done, I'd rather it be a Teamster (UPS Freight, ABF, YRC) pulling loads than an independent owner-operator whose cooking his books and driving 18 hours a day.

All that being said, not sending out ballots for contract ratification and making them vote at their locals is :censored2:ing horse :censored2:.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
We had a UPSF driver in a package car as a seasonal driver this peak.
We should have put layoff language in the NM and Freight agreement that allows laid off drivers from either company to work prior to any Peak hire, provided all drivers are working in their classification at each domicile. No reason why we can't use all of our talented people across the board. I'm told that UPSF slows down during peak so why not use people who already have safety training and would require very little DIAD training? (a few years ago UPSF local drivers were using Diad 3 anyways.)

brown_trousers

We should have put layoff language in the NM and Freight agreement that allows laid off drivers from either company to work prior to any Peak hire, provided all drivers are working in their classification at each domicile. No reason why we can't use all of our talented people across the board. I'm told that UPSF slows down during peak so why not use people who already have safety training and would require very little DIAD training? (a few years ago UPSF local drivers were using Diad 3 anyways.)

Agreed, as long as it doesn't steal work or advancement opportunities from those of us who already work in small package.. i would still rather see those opportunities go to air drivers and part-timers before going to UPSF
Drivers