Why part timers deserve more $$$

kingOFchester

Why is that? Because you chose to? You decided to play the waiting game of seniority instead of the waiting game of lay-off? Shouldn't you feel what it is like making sure you have alternate work lined up so you can keep putting food on the table? Shouldn't you feel what it's like to not be guaranteed work every day? Not to be able to count on a certain amount in your paycheck weekly? Shouldn't you feel what it's like to STILL have to pay Union dues with no representation?

Driving is NOT for everyone........I've seen FAR more lousy drivers getting jobs due to having seniority then lousy drivers hired from the outside.

Your new at UPS, correct? You've never loaded prior to PAS? If I'm wrong I'm sorry.....but don't tell those of us who have the old way how hard your job is now.

WOW...talk about coming out with your guns blazing.....not sure if or who peed in your cornflakes this morning.

Why is that? Because I think everyone should feel what it is like from the bottom up. In fact i don't think its fair that I was sent streight to preload. For those who start out in the unuion and then go SUp....they should stick to their road of managment.
Because you chose to? No, read above.
You decided to play the waiting game of seniority instead of the waiting game of lay-off? I looked at the best options and took the road that looked to be the best road. Still say everyone should go through the same channels.
Shouldn't you feel what it is like making sure you have alternate work lined up so you can keep putting food on the table? LOL...did you see that I have 2 other businesses?? I work crazy hours so we can eat. Don't tell me about having other worked linned up. Do you really believe I could live off of a 90-100 dollar pay check.
Shouldn't you feel what it's like to not be guaranteed work every day? That would not help out UPS. Having all drivers being required to do the warehouse union jobs would help them see and understand the workings of us low part timers. Just like managment should only hire from the part time sups.
Not to be able to count on a certain amount in your paycheck weekly? My check is not even close to the same every week. And again feeling that does nothing for UPS. We all want UPS to get bigger. More jobs. Hire people right off the street that have never ever worked at UPS....is nothing but plain stupid. Give it to the people that have worked and delt with the crap and kept UPS in the black..
Shouldn't you feel what it's like to STILL have to pay Union dues with no representation That would be stupid. My job requires me to be in the union. I have no choice. Where do you get off thinking I want to be in the union?

I am not sure where you are getting all bent up. I have a big problem with someone being hired who came right in off the street and the guy who has put in 3 years in the center taking all kinds of BS and working crazy hours gets passed up for some joe who has never gotten a UPS check. And I am sure they are greased people time to time..,,,,,And for SUPS to get a driving gig is a little less BS but yet still UPS. Being a SUP you are choosing a managment path. Being loaders sorters and so on you are choosing a blue collar path. OK...eough, dont want to argue...we are all here to put foods on the tables. Goodluck

W

westsideworma

Why is that? Because you chose to? You decided to play the waiting game of seniority instead of the waiting game of lay-off? Shouldn't you feel what it is like making sure you have alternate work lined up so you can keep putting food on the table? Shouldn't you feel what it's like to not be guaranteed work every day? Not to be able to count on a certain amount in your paycheck weekly? Shouldn't you feel what it's like to STILL have to pay Union dues with no representation?

Driving is NOT for everyone........I've seen FAR more lousy drivers getting jobs due to having seniority then lousy drivers hired from the outside.

Your new at UPS, correct? You've never loaded prior to PAS? If I'm wrong I'm sorry.....but don't tell those of us who have the old way how hard your job is now.

To be honest VT, most drivers at my hub prefer the old way because preloaders could adjust the load the way they wanted it the next day or that day if the left a note from the prior one. Dispatch is getting better about correcting loads, but nothing beat talking to your preloader and having it done everyday. As a result, while I was a preloader I still custom loaded for certain drivers because I knew them well having been their loader for a while and wanted to help them out since at the time no one who could officially fix the problem (other than me) was willing or able to do so.

I learned and loaded both ways, Alpha Charts and PAS. PAS is easier to learn, I don't and won't dispute that, but as far as load quality etc? Its a wash in my opinion. During the alpha days I KNEW what went on my trucks and where and as such could shift the load according to the amount of packages I got. When we got PAS I had NO idea what i was getting and where it was going day to day so my overall efficiency suffered. I stacked things out because I had no idea where I could put the overflow from the bulk stops (wanted to keep it together). You might say if a section is empty by 7:30 then use that (as our esteemed IE guy did) but wait here comes that 8:15 add/cut to the previously empty section now filled with a bulkstops overflow....and it happened more often than it didn't. But surely bulk stops must be constant right? nope those moved on certain days due to plans in the computer and I didn't realize it as I was trained to look at the address first anyway because of the alpha charts. It ended up being the Monday plan so I loaded it the "right" way (where the stuff is every other day besides mon not where it was "misPALed") anyway. The driver never noticed until I was out on a monday and the person who covered the pull put it where it was PALed. This tells me two things, that some drivers probably don't even use the PAL labels (or he'd know where the stuff moved) and that whoever did the plan for that particular day doesn't know the job as bulk stops don't belong on the shelves.

Also the job IS harder now no offense, we're expected to do more (a lot more) in less time with no mistakes. Our boxline had a planned pph of 219 while I worked on it on PAS (it may be different now). Our start times are based on that plan so we'd get less time to do it than before. I've always loaded around 200-250 (depending on the sleep I got lol and the flow from the primary of course) but 219 an hour is a lot. Considering before PAS 170 was the MAR and when we started PAS it went up to an at least respectable 180pph. When it was 180 (and we ironed out the system flips etc) an hour I still had misloads but rarely as i had the time to double check all the labels and finish. Whoever decided ALL preloaders should be able to do 219+ everyday consistently (I believe aspenleaf said her boxline was at 228) clearly doesn't know the job or our particular center. Add to that everything must be perfectly sequenced, labels pulled and facing front and oh yea don't even think about having a misload buddy. I have two words, pipe dream. Not to mention a lot of our work is late (which I've heard is a recurring problem in many centers) so we have even less time to do all that really. I never had a misload problem before PAS, the first day we used it I had a ton. More than I had the whole year prior to when we went live on PAS. Granted many were system flips and out of snyc but still. Even our former IE supe had 7 misloads with the PAS he touted as being so easy and that we were a bunch of "sh**heads" for not being able to do it...yeah he shut his damn mouth after he covered a pull that day.

So I guess I'm saying its not as easy as some people think. Its in the implementation I think. As on paper (the way this company looks at everything now) it should work. It does in some areas and not so much in others. I'd like to think that it will eventually too, but I hear the same issues at centers that have been on it for years so I'm not too optimistic. Preloaders only have so much time, they can't catch everything all the time and they shouldn't have to. I train them now and I do train them to look at the address first and then the PAL and the methods etc, but you know what when their backs are against the wall as they are nearly every day @ 745 when we throw 8 sorters on the slide (normally 3) to jam the cages I know they can't check them all (and wrap when we need them to) and I do indeed know thats when the misloads occur and load quality suffers. I know because I was a preloader too and I haven't forgot what it was like yet.

VTBrown

Chester....your UPS check is the SAME every week. You are guaranteed a minimum of hours. That is your baseline. That will always be the same regardless.

Seasonal are not guaranteed anything other then they may get work. You tell me what secondary job will hire you when they know that UPS could have you work today but not for three more....and that when they call they come first.

Everyone makes sacrifices to get to FT driving.

You have not been at UPS long enough to start complaining about outside hires.

Perhaps with your logic.....you should have been hired as a driver first then given your PT gig so you'd have a better fundamental understanding of how to properly load the cars? You know experience what it's like to grab a package that your preloader didn't retape before loading or loaded an over 70 on a shelf. Or loaded a bulk stop on a wheel well when the rear left stop had 3 packages because thats what the label told you.

RozUPS

How quickly the drivers forget thier roots and what it was like for them when they came through the grind known as PT preload and twilight. Now we are just freaking part timers. Everybody has thier reason for working here. Some for extra money and the benefiets and some for a ft career. So VT that is why the pt'ers are here. Just like you at one time. Don't forget your freaking roots. Look those part timers in the eye when you pass them in the morning or evening. Give a nod and and say hi. It will go a long way in making this job bearable for all of us. I respect the path the drivers have endured to get to where they are today. Just give us the same

RozUPS

Chester....your UPS check is the SAME every week. You are guaranteed a minimum of hours. That is your baseline. That will always be the same regardless.

Seasonal are not guaranteed anything other then they may get work. You tell me what secondary job will hire you when they know that UPS could have you work today but not for three more....and that when they call they come first.

Everyone makes sacrifices to get to FT driving.

You have not been at UPS long enough to start complaining about outside hires.

Perhaps with your logic.....you should have been hired as a driver first then given your PT gig so you'd have a better fundamental understanding of how to properly load the cars? You know experience what it's like to grab a package that your preloader didn't retape before loading or loaded an over 70 on a shelf. Or loaded a bulk stop on a wheel well when the rear left stop had 3 packages because thats what the label told you.

What gurantee on hours I've heard of the 3.5 guarantee but if I work less than 3.5 I get paid for less than 3.5

What gurantee on hours I've heard of the 3.5 guarantee but if I work less than 3.5 I get paid for less than 3.5

If they bring you in to work, then they are required to pay you at least 3.5 hours for the day. Same with the drivers, we have an 8 hour guarantee. If they ask you if you want to go home before that and you agree, then you're telling them it's ok to pay you "hours only". The next time they tell you everything is wrapped up and they don't have anything else for you to do, tell them that's fine but you want your 3.5 hours. They might tell you to go home anyway and pay you, but more than likely they'll find something for you to do until you reach that guarantee. Might be in a different area, might be doing security, might be sweeping the floor, but if you don't get it you need to have a chat with your steward....

HazMatMan

If they bring you in to work, then they are required to pay you at least 3.5 hours for the day. Same with the drivers, we have an 8 hour guarantee. If they ask you if you want to go home before that and you agree, then you're telling them it's ok to pay you "hours only". The next time they tell you everything is wrapped up and they don't have anything else for you to do, tell them that's fine but you want your 3.5 hours. They might tell you to go home anyway and pay you, but more than likely they'll find something for you to do until you reach that guarantee. Might be in a different area, might be doing security, might be sweeping the floor, but if you don't get it you need to have a chat with your steward....

If you work under 3.5 hours and they run out of work and send you home, you get your guaranteed 3.5. If after let's say 2 hours of working you say "I want to go I am not feeling good" you get paid actual time worked. If you get hurt on the job after working 1 hour you get your guarantee of 3.5. Don't know if they would let you do "security??"

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
Part-timers do deserve more money, BUT so do full-timers.
[censored] fulltimers deserve a COLA = inflation.....3% that is all, to keep their standard of living what it is at the end of this contract in 08

[censored] ...making 80k in 08 isn't enough? Part-timers are left out to dry why fulltimers are saying gimmie more

[Personal attacks and vulgar language are not tolerated on this forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Overpaid Union Thug

Big Arrow......

Gee you've listened to this little forum on PAS.

PAS has made HUGE differences in load quality. We had missloads BEFORE PAS and guess what - We STILL have them.

The same people who couldn't figure they were walking into the wrong truck prior to PAS are still doing it now.

Let's see.....Stop counts are so close to dead on it's almost not even funny. Prior it could be 20 or so off. Kind of hard to fight your 9.5 letter when only to find out on road your Preloader couldn't click the clicker every time he entered the car with a new stop.

Stops are almost always close to in order now. Before...please what a joke.
Want to talk about on road sort time. Now I'm only moving packages forward or picking up what dropped/vibrated out of place.

Let's see with EDD we can scroll down through our planned day to see what we actually have for deliveries today. Seeing whats bulk or what chasers we may have.

Have you ever listened to most UPS drivers? Most all complain about their jobs. It's all crap. We wouldn't be here doing it if something wasn't worth it to us.

So now you are trying to switch gears and rant about PAS/EDD? Well, first of all "most drivers" for me can only be the ones I've talked to and what the majority of them say about it totaly contradicts your comments. Yeah..there's no more sorting and EDD tells everyone where there stuff is "SUPPOSED" to be loaded in the truck but the time saved is whiped out by having to look for packages all day that aren't in the right sections or burried under bulk stops. PAS is bad enough that someone went as far as to make this.....
https://web.archive.org/web/20080216130203/http://www.denverbrown.com/PAS.html but anyway...I fail to see how your love for PAS/EDD supports your cynical and negative views about part-timer wages.

Same as the freaken part-timers. It's not the pay. FedEx pay's $9.50 an hour here to start preload. Guess what they can't even fully staff their shops as it's in the paper weekly.

Why? Well...cause at Ground you can't work yourself into a driving job without credit.

So tell...me if the pay is crap, why are the Preloaders here? It's not the money....so why? Whats your opinion?

The fact that RPS can't keep people with $9.50/hr only proves my point! It's just not worth it these days. Why can't you grasp that simple concept? And who said the pay is crap? The pay is decent. Better than most part-time jobs, that is changing though, and most part-timers chose UPS for that reason but the work performed and the fact that $8.50/hr isn't worth what it used to be is good reasons to raise the starting pay. Money is the reason people come to UPS. Sure, there are always a couple people here only for tuition reimbursment or "to get paid to work out" but even many of those fall by the way side. Other than that I can't think of any other reason why someone would subjugate theirselves to working at UPS? Not for the hell of it and definately not for the fun of it.

BigBrownSanta

Can anyone tell me if PT'ers still get the $1.00/hr. bump in pay when they move to a skilled position such as a preloader or sorter?

Last edited:
U

UPS TIE

I am a management person and do think that part time employees deserve more $$$$. Just like most management people I started out as a part time employee and understand how much sweat and hard work these people leave in the trailers and package cars everyday for a check that says $120.00 a week. Add that up and try to feed your kids. These people that have decided to stay, are amazing people that deserve to be paid for all their hard work. If you want good loads, good new drivers and a prosperous company in the future I think we need to increase the part time wage. "A hard working monkey will only work hard for peanuts until someone offers him Bananas."

If you work under 3.5 hours and they run out of work and send you home, you get your guaranteed 3.5. If after let's say 2 hours of working you say "I want to go I am not feeling good" you get paid actual time worked. If you get hurt on the job after working 1 hour you get your guarantee of 3.5. Don't know if they would let you do "security??"

When I was a part timer way back when, they called walking the belts to make sure all the packages were out of the system "security". I didn't mean sitting at the guards desk... :laugh:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
When I was a part timer way back when, they called walking the belts to make sure all the packages were out of the system "security".

My, how times have changed! They call those guys 'pitwalkers' at my hub. I see p/t supes doing that job on my sort. Not sure if that's the way it is on every sort at my hub or not. I know this because one of them got royally B*%&HED out for missing a package when he was walking the belts off. -Rocky

HazMatMan

[censored] ...fulltimers deserve a COLA = inflation.....3% that is all, to keep their standard of living what it is at the end of this contract in 08

[censored] ...making 80k in 08 isn't enough? Part-timers are left out to dry why fulltimers are saying gimmie more

Excuse me, such vulgar language is not necessary and will be reported. I do not make 80K a year. And do deserve more money like the part-timers. Why should you get more money and not a full-timer??? You knew the pay rate and amount of hours when you applied for the job. All workers (full-time and part-time) should get a considerable pay raise since UPS makes so much money, share the wealth UPS, share the wealth. BTW, My cola raise in Aug of 2006 was 12 cents an hour, which comes out to 4 dollars a week, is that what you are telling me is all I deserve????

Last edited by a moderator:

wildthing

Part timers bust there butts.anyway here they do.35yrs ago it was equal pay for all workers.you put your 30 days in then you went to full rate.all UPS people should get a fair days wage for a fair days pay.we are all brothers and sisters together,together we grow ,split up we lose. A walmart greeters get better wages then they do.What this contract is is union busting at it's greatest.If this keeps up someday you might be working for 8.50 a hr. wakeup people and see the real world.look at all the freight company's that did give backs are there any here any more mmmmmmmmm NO. So vote NO