Why part timers deserve more $$$

HazMatMan

We don't have the TIME 2 get to these meetings because we have to juggle around with this part time job and our 2nd full time job to support our families. I work 14 hrs. between the 2 jobs and no time for myself or family yet I should just go hang out at a meeting at a union hall when they already know OUR situation.
Our issues are no secret.

If you need a part-time job to supplement your full-time job maybe there is a problem with that full-time job and not the job at UPS. Meetings are usually on Sunday's, do you work for UPS on Sunday?? I agree, Hoffa knows exactly what the part-timers make but apparently does not give a crap about it or he would have pushed for a higher starting rate. I started back in 1988 with 9 dollars an hour, much hasn't changed in 19 years has it??

brownrodster

If you include the pension and the insurance benfits I recieve, the pay is wonderful. The poverty rate in 2006 for a family of 4 was $19,000.00. Today, for a family of 2, I make much more than that. I know that UPS is a job of a life time for someone without a college education. I am very thankful. Don't be greedy!!

In my county the median household income is 43,000$ (that's 2 incomes added together!) so I fell damn lucky to have a job which averages 75,000$ per year.

RozUPS

As far as 3.5 gurantee I have never recieved it. We usually get about an average of 16 hrs a week on the unload..

xDELETEDx

If you Part Timers don't like it......

GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE!

If you don't your only proving my point that the pay is irrelevant as to why you are here.

Load Quality has improved immensely since PAS on a whole. Obviously there are still some glitches that the complainers here will harp upon though.....it is MUCH better.

It's like the ding dongs complaining about 3 year progression now. My god....it's real rough that it will take 36 months to go from $14.70hr to $32.12hr by the end of this new contract. What has the world come to?
What happens when all the part-timers/potential part-timers go work somewhere else because they don't make enough money at UPS? :confused:1

Pollocknbrown

As far as 3.5 gurantee I have never recieved it. We usually get about an average of 16 hrs a week on the unload..

Its called a garuntee for a reason, you do not have to leave until you have worked 3.5 hrs, whether or not your done with your general task, it is up to them to find something to occupy you while you eat up your remaining time.

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
Excuse me, such vulgar language is not necessary and will be reported. I do not make 80K a year. And do deserve more money like the part-timers. Why should you get more money and not a full-timer??? You knew the pay rate and amount of hours when you applied for the job. All workers (full-time and part-time) should get a considerable pay raise since UPS makes so much money, share the wealth UPS, share the wealth. BTW, My cola raise in Aug of 2006 was 12 cents an hour, which comes out to 4 dollars a week, is that what you are telling me is all I deserve????
Don't be so naive...to maintain your same standard of living, which is pretty damn good by the end of 08, you should receive wage increases to match inflation...over five years that is approx 1.03^5*(base wage) = 32.65 by 2012 which is approx what this contract calls for give or take 50cents...however the part-time wages still need drastic reform. Who needs the teamsters to negotiate a starting wage that will quite probably be below the minimum wage by the end of the contracts life.

SmithBarney

What happens when all the part-timers/potential part-timers go work somewhere else because they don't make enough money at UPS? :confused:1

Same thing that happens now, they are replaced at a rate of 400%+
with more workers, while the pay is low, there are plenty of unskilled
laborers out there that will work for peanuts.. long enough to realize
if they want to stay or not.

HazMatMan

Don't be so naive...to maintain your same standard of living, which is pretty damn good by the end of 08, you should receive wage increases to match inflation...over five years that is approx 1.03^5*(base wage) = 32.65 by 2012 which is approx what this contract calls for give or take 50cents...however the part-time wages still need drastic reform. Who needs the teamsters to negotiate a starting wage that will quite probably be below the minimum wage by the end of the contracts life.

You seem to think you know my standards of living. Truth is you don't know squat about me. I agree the starting pay rate for a part-timer needs to be raised, but you seem to think the part-timer is the only one who deserves a raise. And BTW, I will not be making 32.65 by 2012, not even close...

CharlestonMule

Charleston Mule
Ive Been with Brown for only one year preloading and Im making 10 an hr. Its not the money that I work for, its the ladder that Ive been given a chance to climb. I went to driving school last month, I get to work on time at 4:30 every shift, and then go straight to my day job which has NO bennies at all. So for now this is how preloaders have to do it. Simply put, you cant start out preloading as your career. Ive been told that at least once a week. The only thing that I would ask is for a little more thanks from our supes. We had some corp suit and ties come through asking questions and all of our supes that morning of course were frantically running around telling us what to say. Even one had the nerve to tell the suits that he always told me what a good job I did. BWAAHAHAHA! Anyways just my 2 cents and a happy Columbus Day to all tomorrow!....................MULE

kingOFchester

You have not been at UPS long enough to start complaining about outside hires.

Perhaps with your logic.....you should have been hired as a driver first then given your PT gig so you'd have a better fundamental understanding of how to properly load the cars? You know experience what it's like to grab a package that your preloader didn't retape before loading or loaded an over 70 on a shelf. Or loaded a bulk stop on a wheel well when the rear left stop had 3 packages because thats what the label told you.
Hey VT. Unlike some fellow posters, I am not here to argue and get into a flame war with anyone. Life is to short to sit at a computer fighting someone that I could just as easily sit down ...have a beer and a lugh with. We probably have more to agree on then to disagree. We have diffrent views. that in it self is a beautiful thing. its what makes the world go round. You make some very valid points. Doesn't change my view, but I see what you are saying. One last thing, my time at UPS is irelevent to my views. Have a good one!

HazMatMan

My work week:
M-friend
3:45am wake up
4:10am drive to UPS
4:20am punch in
8:15am punch out and drive 1hr to my business and open (retail)
9:15am open business
5:00pm close and drive 1hr to close business 2 (lottery stand)
7:00pm close stand drive home
7:15pm eat, shower, wash and 30min of TV
9:00pm bed
Sat
7:30am wake eat
8:00am drive 1 hr to retail business
4:00pm close drive 1hr and close lottery
7:00pm drive home
10:00pm bed
Sun
8:30am wake up
10:00am open lottery
5:00pm close and go home

Including all of this I have to ofcourse mange all my personal finances and also make it to kids games and school events and have them stay with me 2-4 days every 2 weeks.
Tough........hell yea
But I am glad that I am able to work at UPS. To have the chance to drive.
I am not complaining. This is why I hate to see people sit on their butts and complain that they have no work. sorry to vent. friend

Wow, your lucky, I wake up at 11:45 at night and drive an hour and a half to work to start at 3 in the morning.
Did you say you go to another job?? You can right off the gas on your taxes if you go from one job to another.

kingOFchester

Wow, your lucky, I wake up at 11:45 at night and drive an hour and a half to work to start at 3 in the morning.
Did you say you go to another job?? You can right off the gas on your taxes if you go from one job to another.
No other "job"
I own 1 retail store and 1 lottery stand.

Runner

I started in 73 at $3.25 an hour. Minimum wage was $1.60 back then and went up to $2.00 in 74. Not much better than today. If your coming out of high school and choose to make a career of UPS, you deal with it. I believe a majority of the monies that go into this contract should benifit current employees so I don't have a problem with the $8.50. Since a majority of full time people come from the part time ranks, its to UPS's advantage if they feel they are not getting enough good people to raise that rate themselves. Im sure the union wont protest if they raise to $10 or $12.