Why would part timers stay in union?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
"The English unemployed did not have to become workers to survive, they – hang on tight and spit on me – enjoyed the hysterical, masochistic, whatever exhaustion it was of hanging on in the mines, in the foundries, in the factories, in hell, they enjoyed it, enjoyed the mad destruction of their organic body which was indeed imposed upon them, they enjoyed the decomposition of their personal identity, the identity that the peasant tradition had constructed for them, enjoyed the dissolutions of their families and villages, and enjoyed the new monstrous anonymity of the suburbs and the pubs in morning and evening." – Jean-Francois Lyotard, Libidinal Economy

Perhaps this is why part timers can't get a better deal?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The answer is not to leave the Union. The answer is to vote the worthless leaders out.

Easier said than done. Maybe next election. It's just that it doesn't seem like teamsters working for other companies seem to care that ups part timers are getting shafted. Gotta get everyone on the same page.

PT was always meant to be a stepping stone to FT. People were not meant to be PT for 10, 15, 20 years. That's why they created 22.3 jobs.
Not everybody wants to be full time or combo. I've been part time for more than 16 years, and plan to retire part time. My only regret is that the part time pension sucks, especially for the hours I work. Even though I'm part time, I work 45-50 hours a week, without double shifting. If I went 22.3, I'd take a pay cut due to OT being 8 vs 5 hrs. Many of my co-workers in my hub don't want to be FT.

browntroll

my hub most combos get taken by full timers or other combos switching positions. last part timer i saw win a combo
bid had 16 years and it was for a loader/unloader jobs. im doing my part trying to get new part timers involved into the
contract talks cause i believe we should be getting better contracts.

Over disciplined0123

Clearly the IBT has betrayed current part timers. I’ve always been pro union but if they betray us, why stay? Management can’t afford to lose people as they can’t even get enough workers and keep them, so not worried at all about being terminated for no reason. I want to be part of the union and pay my share towards it, but not a union that has not negotiated with current part timers in mind that want/need to stay part time. I hope if there is no catch up raise for current part timers, the union gets totally screwed by that and the anger of giving more to people that have not worked a day for the company over those with many years of service becomes their undoing. We matter too
Not all states are right to work states and you have no option .. And you would think Part timers would be the main concern as they having the majority vote . But we all know less the 40 percent of partimers even vote That is why I wish it was mandatory and make voting easier by casting votes in parking g lot of workplace so they vote before entering building or some other idea

pjs

Clearly the IBT has betrayed current part timers. I’ve always been pro union but if they betray us, why stay? Management can’t afford to lose people as they can’t even get enough workers and keep them, so not worried at all about being terminated for no reason. I want to be part of the union and pay my share towards it, but not a union that has not negotiated with current part timers in mind that want/need to stay part time. I hope if there is no catch up raise for current part timers, the union gets totally screwed by that and the anger of giving more to people that have not worked a day for the company over those with many years of service becomes their undoing. We matter too

I have not read all the response to this thread, but its obvious the union is more concerned about how much they make in union dues, in a enviornment that produces high turnover. Higher starting salary equals a lot more money into the union pockets then lower starting salary and higher wage increases for current part timers.

Over disciplined0123

Exactly more employees equal more revenue for the locals . Unions due amounts are factored by doubling the hourly wage (previously+2 dollars for strike fund)That’s why most of the business agents in your local are making over 100g or more a year

Scanimal

Inthegame

I have not read all the response to this thread, but its obvious the union is more concerned about how much they make in union dues, in a enviornment that produces high turnover. Higher starting salary equals a lot more money into the union pockets then lower starting salary and higher wage increases for current part timers.
Exactly more employees equal more revenue for the locals . Unions due amounts are factored by doubling the hourly wage (previously+2 dollars for strike fund)That’s why most of the business agents in your local are making over 100g or more a year
Dues don't increase unless wages increase. Would you financial wizards be in favor of lower wages to keep dues lower?
Higher wages put more money in members pockets. A $ 0.70 increase adds $120 per month (w/o OT) to a full timers check while increasing dues by $1-2 dollars. Hopefully you see how that favors the members.
BTW, no dues come from increased benefit amounts the union successfully negotiates so how does that fit in the evil plan?
If dues to the IBT were the objective (as you allege), you'd have no bennys and higher wages, something UPS would love.
For what it's worth, the money grubbing union took no additional dues (as the IBT Constitution requires) from the 2013 back pay checks.
Sorry for bringing facts into your incoherent thoughts...carry on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Dues don't increase unless wages increase. Would you financial wizards be in favor of lower wages to keep dues lower?
Higher wages put more money in members pockets. A $ 0.70 increase adds $120 per month (w/o OT) to a full timers check while increasing dues by $1-2 dollars. Hopefully you see how that favors the members.
BTW, no dues come from increased benefit amounts the union successfully negotiates so how does that fit in the evil plan?
If dues to the IBT were the objective (as you allege), you'd have no bennys and higher wages, something UPS would love.
For what it's worth, the money grubbing union took no additional dues (as the IBT Constitution requires) from the 2013 back pay checks.
Sorry for bringing facts into your incoherent thoughts...carry on.
Do you thinks it's fair that part time employees have their dues assessed using the same formula (two and a half times your hourly rate) as full time employees?

Aren't part timers paying disproportionally more of their take home pay in dues, than full time employees do?

Inthegame

Do you thinks it's fair that part time employees have their dues assessed using the same formula (two and a half times your hourly rate) as full time employees?

Aren't part timers paying disproportionally more of their take home pay in dues, than full time employees do?
That's another topic but I don't think the formula of 2.5x should be used for anyone less than FT. In fact, I'd go with dues based on earnings (similar to commission drivers) if I were king.
UPS'ers get a bargain as OT isn't factored in.
But the math still benefits pt's on a lesser scale.
75 hours per month X .70 = $52 increase in wages for $1 in dues? Only a few special ones wouldn't see that as a good deal.

BrownRecycler

That's a matter of an opinion not fact. IBT should write more, but then, the full time will complain about part timer getting more than their hour worth. But, instead of worrying about getting more, we should focus more about the financial benefit of being a senior part timer and how seniority matters. With the 1,000 hours or however the new contract going to be, it still in my opinion would be difficult to have a good pension while as part timer.

The problem is and always will be that newer PT workers do not vote. Yes the ones that have been there a while will but just like the drivers half of them probably don't vote either.

Hard to get what you want when you have a small voice. Getting the PT teamsters involved is a very tough job. Most imagine they won't be working there long so they don't bother. Most in here agree with you that PT employees should be paid better.

Yes, it shows that they aren't use to the union environment or not entirely fond about paying the dues. If they learn the way of the union and how dues are meant as premium for protection and engaging in contract would means more money, they would participate more.

They need to be educated on what is going to brings them more money and tell them to take action on that.

Very aware of the difference in progression and wages between ft and pt. Cost of living raise is a total joke and is completely useless. A second tier driver still has it made over an 8th tier part timer.

$1 a year for me. But, after the contract, it seem that the wage progression will cut my old wage progression rate. Yes, the cost of living is a JOKE. And, the government is doing that on purpose to cut cost of paying out Social Security benefits. If they were more honest about the cost of living, they would be paying out more money. The tax reformed law would have been useful if it meant for lower income bracket not for including the rich. If we don't collect more revenue, it won't make it easier to pay the Social Security benefits and debt deficit.

Werd.

"PT" is more of a classification than an actual description at this point. 3.5 might be the minimum, but you're pushing the definition of "part time" once you cross the six hour mark.

6 hours a week?

Last edited:

Time for change

That's a matter of an opinion not fact. IBT should write more, but then, the full time will complain about part timer getting more than their hour worth. But, instead of being about getting more, we should focus more about being a senior part timer and how seniority can brings everyone pension. With the 1,000 hours or however the new contract going to be, it still in my opinion would be difficult to have a good pension while as part timer.

Can you elaborate on the 1000 hours please? Not aware of any 1000 hour language. Yea our pension increase isn’t great, but honestly I’d take the money. Pension never guantanteed, and money is. Some of us put the majority of our raise in 401k anyway.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
A lifer like you is. A lot different than somebody low on the totem pole when it comes to paying dues.
How so...and what justifies them paying a disproportionate amount of their take home pay in union dues every month, in contrast to a full time "lifer"???

How so...and what justifies them paying a disproportionate of their take home pay in union dues every month, in contrast to a full time "lifer"???
We have drivers that make top rate bit ate still classified as part time. So they only pay dues in what their part time inside rate would be . A loophole I guess. Part time Carwasher has been here a long time and probably pays a lot more. That's all I'm saying