Why would part timers stay in union?

542thruNthru

Yea some buildings only have one 22.3. If it is not meant to be why are there 30 and 35 year pensions for part timers?

I don't know when that was added but I would assume they added it because we started getting career part timers. People that had no interest of ever going full time and only stayed around for the benefits.

Time for change

Very aware of the difference in progression and wages between ft and pt. Cost of living raise is a total joke and is completely useless. A second tier driver still has it made over an 8th tier part timer.

El Correcto

god is dead
Clearly the IBT has betrayed current part timers. I’ve always been pro union but if they betray us, why stay? Management can’t afford to lose people as they can’t even get enough workers and keep them, so not worried at all about being terminated for no reason. I want to be part of the union and pay my share towards it, but not a union that has not negotiated with current part timers in mind that want/need to stay part time. I hope if there is no catch up raise for current part timers, the union gets totally screwed by that and the anger of giving more to people that have not worked a day for the company over those with many years of service becomes their undoing. We matter too
@Fitbit App :) aint gonna like this kind of talk. You need to vote yes so he can go enjoy his boosted pension while you work under this terrible contract for the next 5 years and get shafted even harder in 2023.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Very aware of the difference in progression and wages between ft and pt. Cost of living raise is a total joke and is completely useless. A second tier driver still has it made over an 8th tier part timer.

If you understand, how do you think you will never reach full scale? Once you reach the end of progression you are at full scale. You will never catch up to part timers who have been working there 20 years longer than you. They have gotten 20 more annual increases than you. It's just like a driver who went through a 4 year progression will not make the same amount over the course of their career as a driver who had zero, one, two, or three year progressions.

Time for change

I consider full scale like the driver at 36 and change. As in nobody is higher than that. Completely different for part time. So after 4 years of driving you are at full scale and nobody makes more than you per hour. After 4 years of part time you are $20 dollars an hour less than the person that has been there 33 years. Not sure why you don’t see this huge difference.

Time for change

I just want a catch up raise equivalent to those that are getting a raise that have been there a week or haven’t even started yet. Not really asking for much. Certainly red circled part timers could be exempt from the raise as they make so much. Otherwise I think you’ll start to see many part timers leave the union and it will finally backfire on the union that they completely betrayed us. Earn our dues IBT, or I’m out and I’m sure others will follow. Happy to pay the dues when you represent us too.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I consider full scale like the driver at 36 and change. As in nobody is higher than that. Completely different for part time. So after 4 years of driving you are at full scale and nobody makes more than you per hour. After 4 years of part time you are $20 dollars an hour less than the person that has been there 33 years. Not sure why you don’t see this huge difference.

I do see the huge difference, that's why I became a ground driver and didn't stay part time. Ground drivers earn what they make, and the pay is an incentive to get people to take the job. If part timers made the same after four years as part timers who've been there for 30 years, no one would ever become a driver. If you can't wait to make the big bucks, go driving.

All that is not to say part timers shouldn't make more, and particularly ones who are in the middle range. But remember, it took those old part timers a long time to get to where they are. You are calling for a catch up raise under the terms of the new contract, imagine the catch up raise the 30-year part timers would expect if 10-year part timers suddenly started making the same as them.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I just want a catch up raise equivalent to those that are getting a raise that have been there a week or haven’t even started yet. Not really asking for much. Certainly red circled part timers could be exempt from the raise as they make so much. Otherwise I think you’ll start to see many part timers leave the union and it will finally backfire on the union that they completely betrayed us. Earn our dues IBT, or I’m out and I’m sure others will follow. Happy to pay the dues when you represent us too.

I agree that part timers who have been there a while should get a larger bump and not make the same as brand new part timers, especially if the noobs are getting bonuses to boot.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If you understand, how do you think you will never reach full scale? Once you reach the end of progression you are at full scale. You will never catch up to part timers who have been working there 20 years longer than you. They have gotten 20 more annual increases than you. It's just like a driver who went through a 4 year progression will not make the same amount over the course of their career as a driver who had zero, one, two, or three year progressions.
Actually, you will probably make more. Starting rate when I came in was 14.75 and topped at 26 and change. Technically we are all on a progression to the current rate. And that was a two year progression.

Time for change

2033 I’ve been here a fair amount of time and probably understand the pay and progression of the various jobs about as well as anyone. The long term part timers are in a position that we will never ever be in even if we stay 35 years. Like I said they are within a few dollars of full scale driver, many of us are $10-15 per hour away. And if we keep getting same raises as drivers, that’s where we will finish even with 35 years of service. The gap widened and starting pay didn’t change for 20 years so that’s why middle seniority part timers are where we are. There is more of us than you think and you’ll see our voices being heard, and eventually you’ll wish you had our vote or dues. So thats the problem very long term part timers are doing great and now new hires and recently hired get huge raise but in the middle we are getting screwed. I lost my husband and am working two jobs and 7 days a week almost every week of the year while raising two daughters so spare me and others that can’t drive the full time lecture, those of us in the middle are getting royally screwed.

Time for change

2033 I’ve been here a fair amount of time and probably understand the pay and progression of the various jobs about as well as anyone. The long term part timers are in a position that we will never ever be in even if we stay 35 years. Like I said they are within a few dollars of full scale driver, many of us are $10-15 per hour away. And if we keep getting same raises as drivers, that’s where we will finish even with 35 years of service. The gap widened and starting pay didn’t change for 20 years so that’s why middle seniority part timers are where we are. There is more of us than you think and you’ll see our voices being heard, and eventually you’ll wish you had our vote or dues. So thats the problem very long term part timers are doing great and now new hires and recently hired get huge raise but in the middle we are getting screwed. I lost my husband and am working two jobs and 7 days a week almost every week of the year while raising two daughters so spare me and others that can’t drive the full time lecture, those of us in the middle are getting royally screwed.

Time for change

Some of you don’t realize that some buildings don’t have more than one 22.3 and it’s not an option as 25-30 year drivers line up for it. Many part timers with 10-14 years had no ft driving opportunities from 2005-2011. It’s not just lazy part timers not wanting to work full time. We all know part time work is no easier than full time on an hourly basis, often just the opposite. So someone 53 years old who didn’t have full time opportunity the last 15 years and body aches should go spend 12’s in a package car? Or a single mother shouldn’t be able to help her kids with homework or be around for one meal a day and just take them to daycare for 12-13 hours everyday? Some of you are out of touch, it’s time to pay part timers their catch up raise otherwise the union is not serving us and some will no longer have a use for it.