Yes or NO on NEW CONTRACT?

Will u vote yes or no on the new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gandydancer

...We had a very poor showing. This is our future. And anybody that doesn't go to the meeting if they set one up is not helping them selves. They would have no right to bitch....

I reserve the right to bitch. We had a meeting on the Saturday before last at 10am or noon, I forget which, and I got off work at about 4am, so I was asleep.

gandydancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123
For UPS to get new hires now, they have to offer earn and learn program. Give them $200.00 bonus if they pass a sort test. Offer a shuttle service for people who dont have means of transportation.

Originally Posted by satellitedriver
I hope this is sarcasm.

Originally Posted by gandydancer
Why would you think so? We had shuttles, bonuses for no lates during peak, bonuses for sticking it out for a period of time, etc., here. Taking part of employee's pay out from under the contract and making it discretionary on the part of management could become more and more of a practice as the contractual starting pay becomes less and less competitive. Think about it.

Originally posted by satellitedriver
Why do I think a shuttle service is a bad concept?...

No, the question is why you thought it was sarcasm, and whether you were not aware it has been a reality in the past and may become more so in the future if we keep screwing new hires in our contracts.

gandydancer

...I really don't believe this contract offer will pass. It would require you folks who are not in CS to be good team players for those who are. You won't do it. And you won't admit to not giving a crap about the CS pensioners.

I load on the Night Hub and if this contract passes I will work beside and get to know a lot of guys who won't have medical benefits or holidays and will be paid a 1980's wage. Now, tell me again about solidarity.

Bustrbyte

I am now leaning toward a yes vote. Looking at the hole picture and compared to other blue collar workers and the pension and especially health care issues they have we still have it good. I'm in C/S and won't be here for the next contract. 5 years from now C/S won't be an issue and it will be a much easer contract to negotiate. Yes UPS makes a lot of money thats good. But both DHl and FEDEX are growing at a faster rate in the US. We have to compete.

area43

This is just a side note. Its to the feeder drivers. This is not to be confrontational. I believe this could be another concern as to why maybe some/many of you are voting no. Yes, there is one concern in reference to the sub contracting language in the new Pending contract, But I feel that there is another concern that rises above the Sub contracting. My question is, Why do most pkg car drivers go into feeders? Well, folks we all know its two totally different companies when it comes to Pkg cars and feeders. I mean no disrespect to the feeders. The majority of feeders goes into feeders because its...lets just say a much more comfortable pace. Physically and mentaly. Yes, you have to be safer with those big 80,000 lbs tractor trailors. They in a sense can do alot more damage, than a pkg car when it comes to a wreck. I am presently in pkg cars. Almost 20 yrs. Thank God I can still do pkg cars. I will say this. I went from city runs to a country run. Its a little less physical. It gives my aging body a refuge. I feel feeders do the same. Feeders is a refuge for most pkg car drivers that have knees that have gone bad or about to go bad. A bad back perphaps. Ankles. Shoulders. Neck or what have you. We(myself included), pkg car drivers need a job(such as feeders) that we can finish out our remaining years(retiremennt) if we should physically be worn out. Its a comfort to know its there(feeders) if you should need it(feeders). The company should take this into consideration.

New paragraph. Hey corporate Altanta!!!! If your listening. These feeder drivers that you might replace with sub contracting are mostly comprised of our honored respected veterans. They are physicaly battled fatigued from all the years as a pkg car driver. Please Do not take the last remaining refuge away. These feeder drivers will have to return to the blistering pace/physically harsh nature of being a pkg car driver. Comp. claims could go up. Production could drop. Profits/stock could go down. More routes may have to be put in to compensate for the older horses(feeder drivers, no offense LOL). This is not a threat. Its just looking at the Big Picture. Again, I myself, sure do like to know that if my body goes to far south. I will have feeders to fall back on. Pkg cars are physicaly brutal in time.

In closing. Feeder drivers I understand it could be a scarey thought to go back into pkg cars if they sub contract your run. Can you make the last remaining years in a pkg car. The article is kind of vague. Lets just say its another one of those "Grey" areas. Right Freddy.

sawdusttv

This is just a side note. Its to the feeder drivers. This is not to be confrontational. I believe this could be another concern as to why maybe some/many of you are voting no. Yes, there is one concern in reference to the sub contracting language in the new Pending contract, But I feel that there is another concern that rises above the Sub contracting. My question is, Why do most pkg car drivers go into feeders? Well, folks we all know its two totally different companies when it comes to Pkg cars and feeders. I mean no disrespect to the feeders. The majority of feeders goes into feeders because its...lets just say a much more comfortable pace. Physically and mentaly. Yes, you have to be safer with those big 80,000 lbs tractor trailors. They in a sense can do alot more damage, than a pkg car when it comes to a wreck. I am presently in pkg cars. Almost 20 yrs. Thank God I can still do pkg cars. I will say this. I went from city runs to a country run. Its a little less physical. It gives my aging body a refuge. I feel feeders do the same. Feeders is a refuge for most pkg car drivers that have knees that have gone bad or about to go bad. A bad back perphaps. Ankles. Shoulders. Neck or what have you. We(myself included), pkg car drivers need a job(such as feeders) that we can finish out our remaining years(retiremennt) if we should physically be worn out. Its a comfort to know its there(feeders) if you should need it(feeders). The company should take this into consideration.

New paragraph. Hey corporate Altanta!!!! If your listening. These feeder drivers that you might replace with sub contracting are mostly comprised of our honored respected veterans. They are physicaly battled fatigued from all the years as a pkg car driver. Please Do not take the last remaining refuge away. These feeder drivers will have to return to the blistering pace/physically harsh nature of being a pkg car driver. Comp. claims could go up. Production could drop. Profits/stock could go down. More routes may have to be put in to compensate for the older horses(feeder drivers, no offense LOL). This is not a threat. Its just looking at the Big Picture. Again, I myself, sure do like to know that if my body goes to far south. I will have feeders to fall back on. Pkg cars are physicaly brutal in time.

In closing. Feeder drivers I understand it could be a scarey thought to go back into pkg cars if they sub contract your run. Can you make the last remaining years in a pkg car. The article is kind of vague. Lets just say its another one of those "Grey" areas. Right Freddy.

Area,
Calm down, us feeder drivers can handle it. Believe me they don't want us back there pushing the wheel-barrow any more than we want to be there.

area43

Tie,

You are under the assumption that every UPS union member will be voting on this new IBT/UPS pension plan and of course the withdraw from the Central States fund. Recently found out that only the teamsters in the Central States area will be able to vote on that issue. I believe that it will be under the (Central supplemental agreement ) the (Master contract lanuage) will be voted by the total UPS membership. I hope this clarifies your misunderstanding to whether anybody will be selling our Central States brothers and sisters out by voting "NO". It will be ratified or not by the members affected.

Also found out that in order to start this new pension plan it will take an additional 2 billion dollars to fully fund. This buyout and liability is in reality costing UPS over 8 billion dollars. How is this going to effect management's pension and perks will told on a later date. Just from seeing some of the flight from some of the management in our building I am guessing the cuts are happening and or will be in place soon.

Cezanne, I ll have to disagree with you. Like I said before you cannot separate the two. Buy out and the National Contract. Thats why they were both neg. at the same time. UPS knew they could use this to their advantage. They had every right to do so. Great Day!!!! Do you think UPS was just going to sweep those billions under the rug. The Nat. contract reflects the Buy out of 6.1 billion. Ooops, I mean 8 billion. Thats even more of a reason to vote YES. This Nat. contract is lacking economic punch for the rest of us due to the fact our Brothers and Sisters at Central States need help. Cezanne, by you voting no, sends a strong message of :censored2:. back to our fellow hourly Cs Teamsters.

Damok

Hopefully, I'll live with my decision well into my 100's.

Right now I'm happy that my decision will allow me to look at myself in the mirror knowing I didn't vote for a substandard contract.

Assuming it doesn't pass, what do you expect (not what you hope) the negotiating committee to be able to get?

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
Better pension, health care, wages, straighten out the senority in the supplements, theres always better things to improve on, GM is 13 bil in the red, look at what they are getting. Id say UPS is doing much better profit wise then GM right now.

Why would you just assume that the contract going to a vote is the best of what we would get anyhow?? thats just ridiculous. ALWAYS vote NO on the first offer!

Damok

Better pension, health care, wages, straighten out the senority in the supplements, theres always better things to improve on, GM is 13 bil in the red, look at what they are getting. Id say UPS is doing much better profit wise then GM right now.

Why would you just assume that the contract going to a vote is the best of what we would get anyhow?? thats just ridiculous. ALWAYS vote NO on the first offer!

* For starters I believe you are seriously misinformed if you expect those things from a renegotiation,

**"Always vote no on the first offer" That is probably some of the most ill-advised, self serving advice I've seen here.

*** I'm glad I didn't ask you to begin with :)

Bentley

two words for ya- DOUBLE DIPPING!!!! That is what UPS is really doing. They want to make a profit off the customer and then make interest off the other half of our raise! Well ladies and gentlemen we mind as well out to be paying ourself a raise for the next 5 years. Cost of living is terrible and thats all they are willing to give. They care sooooooo much for us and our families ha!!

satellitedriver

No, the question is why you thought it was sarcasm, and whether you were not aware it has been a reality in the past and may become more so in the future if we keep screwing new hires in our contracts.
What I posted was;
Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedriver
I hope this is sarcasm.

I didn't think it was sarcasm. I only hoped it was a sarcastic remark.
Maybe we should pack them a lunch also, before they get on the little bus on the way to work.
If a new hire is not willing to walk, take a bus, ride a bike, hitchhike, beg a ride from a friend, carpool, ect... to get to their job, then they do not deserve the job.
How can it be screwing the new hires if they are not willing to make an effort to even get to the job that you think is screwing them over?
When you coddle the weak, you only make them weaker.

govols019

You smell that?
Assuming it doesn't pass, what do you expect (not what you hope) the negotiating committee to be able to get?

I expect the 8-hr day language to, at minimum, be left as it is in the current contract. I expect the GPS language to be removed. I expect the "Act of God" language added to the supervisors working article to be removed. I expect our raises to drop to pay for the pension.

I also expect chrome wheels and a beautiful blonde to be put on my truck. I'm willing to bend a little on this one. A beautiful brunette would do also.

Damok

I expect the 8-hr day language to, at minimum, be left as it is in the current contract. I expect the GPS language to be removed. I expect the "Act of God" language added to the supervisors working article to be removed. I expect our raises to drop to pay for the pension.

***Do you think the current negotiating committee will be able (or willing as some might say) to do that?

I also expect chrome wheels and a beautiful blonde to be put on my truck. I'm willing to bend a little on this one. A beautiful brunette would do also.

***My wife is watching so all I can say I want is a 55 Chevy 2 door. :(

tieguy

Banned
Tie,

You are under the assumption that every UPS union member will be voting on this new IBT/UPS pension plan and of course the withdraw from the Central States fund. Recently found out that only the teamsters in the Central States area will be able to vote on that issue. I believe that it will be under the (Central supplemental agreement ) the (Master contract lanuage) will be voted by the total UPS membership. I hope this clarifies your misunderstanding to whether anybody will be selling our Central States brothers and sisters out by voting "NO"..

Cezanne not a misunderstanding at all. This contract is structured to fix the pension issues. CS being the biggest one. The teamster leadership pretty much says so when they said the pensions were the number one issue members wanted addressed. I would assume that more money would be built into other things if not for the 8 billion going into CS. I would think you would see bigger pay raises if not for the extra money allocated towards h&W. Therefore my point that this contract is really about fixing CS specifically and pensions in general and pretty much no frills for everyone else.

tieguy

Banned

I can't imagine the teamsters agreeing to any language the would allow us to bump out a feeder driver with a sub contractor so what is the issue here?