Why shouldn't we strike?

Yes it's is an excuse but not an excuse at the same time . A lot of part timers are also short lived. For some it takes years before they ever even understand what the union even is. Why doesn't the union send out welcome to the union beginners handbook or something? Part time yearly payment is like 500 they can get a handbook and get informed by the union. Unless the union just doesn't want the informed
They used to come down, not so much anymore. We do our best to get newbies involved, including filing grievances on their behalf.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

PTers need 5 years to be vested in our pension. Work less than that and the union gets to keep all of the contributions made on their behalf so, yeah, it may be in their interest to have high turnover.

There should be a newcomer orientation meeting hosted by the BA on Union 101.

rod

Retired 22 years
I could handle not getting treated nice if pay progression was better even if the wage maxed out at driver start pay it would be a good job.
My senority date on preload is right at a year ago I believe and I still have received zilch from the union. Can part timers vote? If so do they intentionally keep us in the dark so we don't try to turn the tide or are we just screwed no matter what?

Do you get mail at home from the Teamsters? You should get a voting ballot come contract time. If you aren't getting mail from them contact your Local.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
PTers need 5 years to be vested in our pension. Work less than that and the union gets to keep all of the contributions made on their behalf so, yeah, it may be in their interest to have high turnover.

There should be a newcomer orientation meeting hosted by the BA on Union 101.

Wow... mind blown... never really thought about it that way. Pretty sad.

And I agree Union 101 would be awesome! I don't know how many new guys I've talked to and said have you read the contract and the reply is always the same... What contract? I've got it on pdf in my phone and have emailed it many times. Lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow... mind blown... never really thought about it that way. Pretty sad.

And I agree Union 101 would be awesome! I don't know how many new guys I've talked to and said have you read the contract and the reply is always the same... What contract? I've got it on pdf in my phone and have emailed it many times. Lol

Our BA personally delivers our contract books to us. We have to sign his roster before he hands it to us.

The vast majority don't open it up until they have to.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
They used to come down, not so much anymore. We do our best to get newbies involved, including filing grievances on their behalf.

I've had a driver help me out before and have seen it happen with others. We are all union brothers and I can tell you this much being fairly green myself when I was maybe 1 month in on preload and a driver stuck up for me to the supervisor yelling about not having a truck finished at driver start time it really meant the world to me. You can guarantee I busted my butt and gave extra attention to that drivers truck also. Lol

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Our BA personally delivers our contract books to us. We have to sign his roster before he hands it to us.

The vast majority don't open it up until they have to.

That's a good BA. I've never met mine but now that I'm learning more about how everything works and I know and understand the contract "fairly anyhow" I am definitely going to have a meeting someday. But after what you said I could see it would take a lot of part timers as well as drivers for a strike threat to be effective in making any change for part timers

That's a good BA. I've never met mine but now that I'm learning more about how everything works and I know and understand the contract "fairly anyhow" I am definitely going to have a meeting someday. But after what you said I could see it would take a lot of part timers as well as drivers for a strike threat to be effective in making any change for part timers
I personally pass out the contract books myself.

AllOnTheHorses

Before thinking of a strike.. consider how much you now make per week.. add to that what you would be paying for your health insurance. The cost per week (last year, info via Teamcare/COBRA) to me if I were to pay for my insurance would be $385 PER WEEK. So UPS is giving an extra $1540 per month.
I am on my way out.. not into the job.. so not a company tool.. but jeez, try and pay for your own insurance.. talk about sticker shock.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Before thinking of a strike.. consider how much you now make per week.. add to that what you would be paying for your health insurance. The cost per week (last year, info via Teamcare/COBRA) to me if I were to pay for my insurance would be $385 PER WEEK. So UPS is giving an extra $1540 per month.
I am on my way out.. not into the job.. so not a company tool.. but jeez, try and pay for your own insurance.. talk about sticker shock.
News flash!!!!
UPS doesn't give anything away
You earn whatever you get